“Relaxing start to our Costa Rican Adventure!”

Hotel Bosque del Mar Playa Hermosa
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
Morristown, New Jersey
“Relaxing start to our Costa Rican Adventure!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

My husband, son and I stayed here for 3 nights, 2 nights prior to our Tauck Bridges Tour with extended family. What a great way to decompress and relax, we loved it! The staff at the hotel are lovely, helpful and organized. Our rooms were clean and comfortable, nice updated bathrooms and a nice indoor and outdoor sitting area. We loved sitting on the beautiful beach while the kids played in the ocean. There is no surf and the ocean doesn't drop off for quite a ways so we were very comfortable relaxing with them in the water. The hotel also has a pooll (no lifeguards tho, in Costa Rica) and the grounds are small enough that the kids could run back and forth between the beach and the pool. Beachside, and poolside food/drinks are also available. The food was very good and even accomodated picky kids. I had a massage on the beach that the staff worked very hard to accomodate me since I asked at the last minute.

I do have a couple of suggestions:
There need to be more lounge chairs on the beach, and more comfortable ones.
The massage was great but for an hour the masseuse only massaged one side??? I enjoyed it nonetheless but would have appreciated a full massage. Lastly, I would recommend that the hotel have a well stocked first aid kit. My dad cut himself on the beach and needed a bandage and something to clean out his cut and they were completely unprepared. The staff was very nice and tried to help but could have had a better kit.

Overall, I would definetly recommend this hotel.

Pura Vida!

Room Tip: The air conditioners are run by a remote control and were a little unclear on how to use. You may wa...
2 Thank LUDH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

Before I went to Bosque del Mar, I read reviews about the dirty beach, the unhelpful staff, and the lack of being able to walk to anything. Well I am glad to be able to prove those reviews wrong. We stayed at Bosque del Mar for 8 nights. We came down for a wedding, but we came 4 nights before the group arrived. The first 3 of our nights were not in the wedding package rate, which means they did not include our food. I was worried, because of the reviews I had read online. However, there is no need to worry. Number One The Market: When the shuttle picked us up from the airport he offered to stop at the supermarket. Here we stocked up on 2 liters of Coca Cola Light, Coke Zero, wine, rum, beer, and some snacks for in between meals. (Keep in mind you only have a mini-fridge and coffee maker in the room, no microwave.) This market has everything you need. A small freezer section, a refrigerated section, toiletries, paper products, fresh bread, etc. While it is not huge like a market in the United states, it is probably 2,000 sq ft. Another plus is they accept American dollars and credit cards, and their registers show the conversion for you. There is also a great, nice priced swim/souvenir shop right next to the market. The drive to the resort from the market is about 5 minutes. This is when we discovered the market is only a 12 - 15 minute walk from the hotel. We actually ended up walking there probably every couple of days to either show friends the way or to get something we forgot. To get to the supermarket you make a right out of the hotel's entrance, walk until the T intersection, make a left, and it will be up and on the right about 5 minutes from there. Enough about the market, let's move on. Number Two Restaurants Near the Hotel: The first night we made a right out of the hotel entrance walked 5 minutes at most and stopped at Restaurante Bocelli Pizzeria. I had read about it in another person's review. This place was GREAT. It is inexpensive and the pizza is wood-fired. We started with the palm au gratin, which is similar to spinach artichoke dip, but made with hearts of palm and they don't serve it with anything so ask for bread or chips. The Diabla pizza was awesome. We had an appetizer, salad, pizza, 1 bottle of wine, and the total bill was $56 including gratuity. We returned to Restaurante Bocelli Pizzeria with friends later in the week. I could have eaten there numerous more times because of how large the menu was. The next day we ate lunch on the beach at Restaurant Aqua Sport, we split the shrimp quesadilla to start, and it ended up being so big we didn't order anything else. This quesadilla wasn't mediocre either, I was very pleased. If you walk onto the beach from Bosque del Mar and head right, there are at least 3 beach front café/bars between you and the other side of the small cove the hotel resides in. Restaurant Aqua Sport is one of these, along with El Velero Restaurant & Bar (which we ate at for lunch and disliked...but maybe we ordered the wrong things), and The Rock Bar which looked promising but we didn't have time to try it once our meal plans kicked in. We also ate at Villa del Sueno for dinner the second night. It is on the way to the pizza place, but closer, so instead of a 5 minute walk it was at most 3. This restaurant was definitely more expensive, we had escargot napoleon, mahi mahi steak, and filet mignon...but every bite was worth it. There were at least 3 other restaurants on the road within walking distance of the hotel, but we did not make it to them. There was one called Mario's which you needed a reservation but you can call day of, and their sign has the number on it. Moving on to my next topic...Number Three the Hotel Restaurant: After eating at 3 great restaurants within minutes of walking I was not impressed when the meal plan kicked in...and if it weren't being part of a group I would have canceled the rest of my meals. I noticed the before and after of when the rest of our group arrived. Before our group arrived for 3 days and 4 nights there was never a buffet set up. Everyone ordered off of menus, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Once our group fully arrived, buffet was set up breakfast, lunch, and dinner. So I can't brag about the food, it was buffet, it wasn't what I would have chosen to eat if I had the choice. As far as the a la carte restaurant goes, I can't really weigh in. The only time I ordered a la carte, was the night our meal plan kicked in, the group wasn't there yet, however we were given a very limited menu...the only thing I liked was the French Onion Soup. We felt a little tricked because we asked the hotel for the menu in advance and it had a ton more options, such as lobster, but none of those are on the meal plan menu. Moving on to Number 4, The Beach: This is a grey/black/brown beach, but I don't care. I am a beach walker and pro-sheller since the toddler age. My passion is looking for shells. On this beach you will find the Olive Shell, mostly alive, in a variety of colors. You will also find bright pink clam shells, and if you wade into the water with a keen eye or a snorkeling mask you will find a ton of beauties making their way toward shore. Another thing about this beach is that it is dog friendly, locals and tourists alike bring their dogs, but there are also strays. The strays are not as malnourished as you would see inland, because they are very sweet tempered and well fed from both locals and tourists. I personally handed out dog treats I bought from the supermarket all week, and no they did not follow me to my room they enjoy the outdoors. Moving on...Number 5 The Hotel Staff and Hotel Tours: I went diving 2 separate days through the resort, through Rocket Frog which is a PADI dive center. It was amazing, we saw white tip sharks, manta rays, spotted eagle rays, huge moray eels, large blue parrot fish, octopus, etc...just great dives. Before one trip we saw sea turtles and humpback whales, while after another trip we saw a dolphin and baby dolphin. There were also 2 tours with the wedding group package: the zip line tour & the volcano hike tour. The zip line tour is fine for a huge group, but I would recommend only 4 people at most for the volcano hike. Both were very fun. Every tour is easy to book, as long as you book only by 3 pm the day before you want to take the trip. The staff was always great, the front desk had to deal with our group a lot. Shirley the bartender at the rooftop bar and Carlos the waiter were the best they come. They both tried to help us along with our Spanish, but also knew enough English.

Overall my recommendation, is go and explore. Costa Rica is fun and safe...you don't have to worry about leaving your resort like Mexico

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Karen W
Sandy, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

My husband, son & I stayed here for two nights recently (Aug. 7th & 8th) & absolutely loved it! The staff was incredibly attentive & worked hard to serve us. The breakfast buffet was outstanding! We had to leave very early the last morning for the airport & they even prepared a to-go breakfast for us! The grounds are kept beautifully & the room was amazing! It was a junior suite overlooking the pool area on the second floor with a nice balcony. While there we took the hotel shuttle over to Coco beach for shopping & dinner. It was definitely fun, but we were glad we were staying on the quieter Playa Hermosa. We took a really fun guided wave runner tour, & booked a private snorkeling tour with Alonzo who took us to a quiet spot where we saw amazing fish! I am definitely planning a return visit for our entire family & look forward to watching the grandkids play on the shaded beach!

Room Tip: We loved the second floor & were on the corner so we had views in several directions!
2 Thank himebaut
atlanta, ga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights with a group of 10 college students on a study abroad trip and it was one of our favorite stays!!! The food was amazing and plentiful and the 2 for 1 happy hour was even better! We loved walking right out to the beach in the mornings and also enjoyed some time on the kayaks that the hotel has to offer during the day. Nightlife is awesome near by if you don't mind taking a 10 minute taxi to Playa de Coco. The rooms were nice and the staff was wonderful! I hope to come back and stay at the Bosque del Mar Hotel in the future if I have the chance! Pura vida!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
White Plains, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

Our family of 4, which included two adult daughters, stayed at this lovely hotel for 4 nights at the beginning of August. Our penthouse room was magnificent and one of the loveliest rooms we have ever stayed in! The penthouse included two decks, a sitting area inside, two bathrooms and two bedrooms. We had access to a kitchen room for our personal use. The hotel was immaculate and the staff very friendly and helpful. The hotel is directly on the beach. The beach itself is very calm and quiet. The hotel provided beach lounge chairs, served drinks there for the guests and the beach was beautiful and serene. Iguanas roamed freely. We saw the happiest dogs that we have ever seen on the beach and they were healthy and well taken care of. We appreciated how empty the beach was. The breakfasts were fine in the restaurant and we generally went elsewhere for dinner. This is a top notch hotel with a lovely staff. What a great vacation we had there.

Room Tip: Get the penthouse if available!
1 Thank Jo H
Memphis,TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

" my 16 year old daughter and I recently stayed at the Bosque del Mar for 5 nights and just loved it! We had a second story ocean view room and enjoyed each sunset on this beautiful beach! No, this is not a white sand beach, but I think the rich dark sand and the local culture on the beach give it all that more of a unique experience. I gave the property 5 stars. The front dest was very helpful in making prior room preparations via email prior to our visit, "thanks Estaban", the staff were all very friendly, the breakfast was great, the room very comfortable, and they Evan helped arrange transportation to another hotel in a different location we wanted to visit,"thanks Guierrmo" We had 2 other meals besides dinner there and we're not impressed with the food. I would stick to the wonderful breakfast. The only other slight inconvience was having to ask for shampoo, coffee, washcloths etc daily that I felt should have been left every day as part of housekeeping. Other than that , the five stars. I will always remember our time here very positively! "

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sally N
La Jolla, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in the month of July 2013 with my 14 year old son. It is a very nice secluded hotel. There is a lot of vegetation and it is right on the beach. The beach is very clean and the tide is very low. If you are looking for tranquility this is the perfect place. If you want to visit other beaches it is rather far away. The restaurant has very good food and friendly staff but it is slow, so take your time. The buffet breakfast is very good.
The rooms are very comfortable, we had one on the second floor which we loved.

Room Tip: We loved our privacy on the second floor as well as the view
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Casa Conde Beach-Front Hotel
Casa Conde Beach-Front Hotel
#2 of 3 in Playa Panama
Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel

Been to Hotel Bosque del Mar Playa Hermosa? Share your experiences!