“Super Friendly Owners, Very cute place”
Review of Iguana Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa Hermosa
Iguana Inn
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Playa Hermosa
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I've been meaning to write this review for a few months now - the owners, Kenny and Sandra, were very hospitable and very down to earth. I arrived there in late June with 3 of my girlfriends, having called only a few hours before we arrived there to reserve our rooms. Since we were unfamiliar with Playa Hermosa, Sandra had Kenny pick us up at the bus terminal around midnight or 1am, which was extremely nice of them seeing that it would've been really unsafe for 4 girls to hitch a ride or walk anywhere at that hour, with no streetlights.
The rooms were comfy with decent bathrooms and a few fans. We could hear all the wildlife and the ocean waves from our screened windows. It was just feet away from the beautiful beach.
There was an outdoor communal kitchen and Kenny and Sandra offered us their own spices and even gave us some shrimp to cook.
The pool was very clean and cold, perfect for hot days. There was a small pasture or converted mini-park next door where horses were roaming. Just beautiful.
My friends and I chilled most nights poolside on the provided table and chairs. They got EATEN up by mosquitoes but that's probably because they used some organic bug-spray. I doused myself in DEET and that kept those bloodsuckers away from me. One of my girlfriends got 70, yes 70, mosquito bites in one night!
The rate was very affordable - i can't remember exactly how much, I want to say around $15 for a double room, maybe even less.
I'll definitely stay there again if I ever go that way.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Iguana Inn

Reviewed 5 May 2013

Two weeks ago I got back from CR and of course I had a wonderful time.
I stayed at four different places over the two weeks I was there. I wanting to see and experience different places/areas. I spent for luxury on some days and looked for budget sensitive value on other days.
It is the budget sensitive value category that perfectly suits the Iguana Inn. I found myself in Playa Hermosa because of its reputed laid back beach, it truly is hermosa (beautiful). A short walk from the beach (as I was walking to the nearest grocery store) I saw a couple coming out of the Iguana Inn, it was obvious they were tourists... I decided to venture in and see what the Inn had to offer...
The environment has a tropical feel with the vegetation on or around the property. I was greeted by a very pleasant Sandra who informed me that there was "room at the inn". I was taken out back to meet her husband Ken who was cleaning the extremely inviting pool. Even before I agreed to stay at there inn, I was offered a jump in the pool once the cleaning was completed. The hospitality you feel from both Sandra and Ken is genuine. Ken showed me two rooms, both had there own bathroom, one room I was shown (by the pool) had more room than I needed, I was on my own and I was being frugal. The second room I stayed in, it was small, clean, my own bathroom of course with shower(i pee with more pressure, but it worked just fine), one bed, a chair, a desk and a fan, NO A/C... The first night I used the pool a few times when I got hot, but it might have been to much sun that day on the beach, the second and third night I was quite comfortable with the breeze from the fan.
Each morning i was gently awaken to the sounds of birds of course, but also roosters and howler monkeys, although I never saw them(roosters or monkeys). As the name of the inn says, I did see at least two or three different Iguanas in some of the trees on the property.
The other guests/travellers that I met there were a couple from Israel, a guy from mid west USA and fellow Canadian, she was from Quebec.
The Iguana Inn has a bit of a hostel feel. it is small and intimate, with a laid back environment. i think they have six or eight rooms.
The second and third evening I stayed there resulted in the owners Sandra and Ken one of there friends Tim, a few other guests at the inn and myself having a communal supper together. The meals helped with the budget but it made for new friends and happy memories. I wish I would have had a few more days to chill, but my schedule didn't cooperate. Hermosa is such a nice quiet beach.
The price I paid for my room was VERY REASONABLE, I won't say what I paid as I think it depends on vacancy, time of year etc., what I will say is that I'm sure you will find a great value for what you paid as I most certainly did. I still sort of grin when i think how much i saved.
Location, cost, value and very much hospitality of Sandra, Ken and the other fellow travellers/customers made my stay in Hermosa memorable. I will be back, hopefully with my family... then we'll want the room by the pool!
Ciao!
S44Steve

PS; I WAS JUST ABOUT TO POST MY ABOVE COMMENTS AND I decided to look to see what other posts on TripAdvisor read like.

I came across the posting by eco_girl55.
WOW!
Consider the source...
Creative writing... looks like it took eco_girl55 about eleven months ...

Trying to read between the lines on eco's review, this is what i see.
I see people like Sandra and Ken at the Iguana Inn as being people who's nature are driven to accommodate and please. From what I saw they appeared as a close loving couple.
I see a few opportunists, eco_girl55, taking advantage of these people's nature to accommodate.
What eco describes doesn't come close to my observations

To eco_girl55, it is obvious you aren't the sharpest knife in the box, I suggest you look up DEFAMATION, LIBEL and or CALUMNY! Maybe one day a young shark lawyer will take a shining to the folk at the Iguana Inn and they will teach you firsthand the definition of these mentioned terms.

S44Steve

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank S44SS
Reviewed 15 November 2012

Coming during off season, we were lucky to be the only guests at the inn for 4 nights, and were able to stay in our room for 10USD/person/night. We stayed in the big room by the pool with a little kitchenette en suite. There was a ceiling fan which kept the room quite cool at night, and even a TV (but who would use a TV in such a beautiful location?) For travellers used to staying in hostels, this inn was perfect. There is no hot water, but it's hot enough not to miss it.

Sandra and Kinney are very friendly and helpful. Sandra invited us to use the little upstairs kitchen to make our breakfast, and kindly made us coffee in the mornings. We also enjoyed spending time with the orange cat and Scooter the dog.

The grounds of the inn are also lovely, planted with cacti and various flowering plants. We actually met two iguanas sunning themselves on the roof. The inn is located on the main road that leads to the beach. It's a 5 minute walk to the beach, the little super market, and Diving Safaris.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 May 2012

We spend 5 days at the Iguana Inn and liked it very much ! The little swimming pool is very pleasant tucked away in the tropical garden and Sandra is adorable. The rooms are simple, basic and clean, and at night we could hear birds and frogs and howler monkeys near by... We would definitely go back for another vacation !

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Beautifulworld4me
Reviewed 12 May 2012 via mobile

This was a lovely little hostel, friendly staff, great little pool and close to the beach.
We were concerned about hot nights prior to booking, but on their website some rooms were advertised with AC. There was no AC. We had an upstairs room and it was like a sauna, only one window and a fan, so no air flow. We had a terrible nights sleep and only stayed one night.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank OzJenny
Reviewed 14 June 2010

Best Hostel I have stayed in in Costa Rica by far!, great for young backpackers, Playa Hermosa is uncrowded and beautiful . And the owners of this place are amazingly friendly and helpful !

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 July 2009

Nice place, awesome location, nice people.

The number is (---) -------- if you want to make a reservation.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends