“Jesse's Surf School...6 yr old addicted to surfing?????”

Jesse's Samara Beach Surf School
Chandler, Arizona
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Jesse's Surf School...6 yr old addicted to surfing?????”
Reviewed 7 July 2009

We stayed 3 nights in Samara and based on TripAdvisor recommends we set a time for our 6 yr old to take surf lessons. I was a bit unsure about this at first, but I was pleasantly surprised. My son had a great time and his instructor took such good care of him that I would highly recommed this to others. It is a walk down the beach, so don't be surprized about the location.. I think we have created and surfing addict at age 6...YIKES!!!

Vancouver
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“You CAN Surf!! Don't Miss this EXCELLENT beginner instruction!”
Reviewed 28 March 2009

If you want to try surfing - you need to read this and seek out Jesse's Surf School in Samara. Everything was perfect for the perfect beginners that we were!

Our family of 4, 2 adults & 2 girls, 10 & 12 took lessons from Jesse's Surf School in Samara. It was so much fun and the instructors were excellent. Each of us had our own experienced instructor who stood out in the water with us and gave us one to one instruction and assistance. Each of us
gently progressed through lying on the board, facing the beach and starting to paddle to catch the wave when the instructor called for us to "paddle" and pushed us into the wave -- to sitting up on the board, facing the incoming waves, selecting a wave and turning to catch it. We all made it up several times on the first day, even at one time, all of us catching the same wave. It was an excellent adventure, one hour a day, something I would not have missed. We all had a great time and everything was supplied - the appropriately sized surf board and good quality and fitting board shirts - even for the girls. The location was down the beach from the centre of town, but it was perfect - and if you don't want to surf - although you should try - they also have boogie boards for rent and yoga.

2 Thank Kim M
Calgary, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great surf school!”
Reviewed 20 April 2008

My husband and I ended our trip in Samara and decided to grab a surf lesson... we had a beginner one in Australia a few years ago and needed a refresher... really, it was like learning from scratch again. It was great! We were up and catching waves on our own after the first hour (unlike our earlier experience). The instructors were friendly and gave great encouragement. They were a bit further down the beach than some of the others, but well worth it for the quality of the instruction & board rental rates... not to mention fewer people around to worry about hitting as you ride the waves in.

2 Thank dr_bek
Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Learned to Surf with One Lesson!”
Reviewed 16 March 2008

There were three or four surf schools in Samara - all fairly equivalent in price. Jesse's was a walk down the beach (further than C&Cs and other "in-town" ones), but well worth the stroll. A key bonus for me was the instructors - not only were they friendly and patient, but completely bilingual. I do not speak Spanish, so I would have had a difficult time at most other schools that did not have instructors that were fluent in English and Spanish.

The owner is a Tico, but his wife is an American. I did not expect that to matter, but it was actually very comforting that she was there. She was able to explain the various surf package options in a way that was very easy to understand. She helped us to navigate town and otherwise feel very welcome too; mostly, she was friendly and trustworthy.

Unfortunately, I was only in town for 2.5 days, so I bought the beginners package. For $40, I received a full private lesson (~1.5 hours) plus six hours of board time to use during my entire stay. This may not sound like a lot, but surfing is exhausting. I wanted to practice more, but my body was too tired - I still had board time left since you can come and go as you please (hours do not need to be consecutive or taken in full). The lesson was fantastic; I found quick success. However, after the lesson, you are not ignored; the staff watches you while you surf on your six-hours and gives you pointers and answers any/all questions you have.

One final thing to keep in mind about learning how to surf in Costa Rica (or anywhere) .... surfing is intense - fitness is surprisingly important. Sure, once you are "up," you can just ride the wave into shore. But, it takes a lot of energy to paddle out to the waves. I had a wonderful time because I "got up," but my roommate was not as lucky (and she is definitely a stronger swimmer than I am). I do not think she would have had a very good time if we had spent the entire week at surf camp. And, while I wanted to stay forever, I am not sure my body would have survived a full week. So, if you have ever tried surfing before and you know what you are getting into, you'll probably want a whole week at Jesse's in Samara where the waves are fantastic and the staff is even better. But, if you are not sure if you have balance and fitness - you might just want to block off a couple of days to try it first.

5 Thank Sherolsen