“Another day in Paradise”

Hotel Flying Crocodile
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Playa Samara
Sacramento, California
“Another day in Paradise”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I traveled to Costa Rica for the first time, with my daughter, and stayed here based on a recommendation from a pilot who stayed here a few years ago. We arrived via Nature Air at Nosara and taxi referred by Andrea, we stayed for four days in May of 2014. It was wonderful. We stayed in the 'budget' room which was basic but very satisfactory. The breakfast was wonderful, and the cook was very helpful with smoothies and omletes. Lunch and dinner was also very good. The nearby beach was amazing. I found out the day before we left that Interbus did not make a stop this far out of Samara, and Andrea expertly handled a cab to town and clarified with Interbus our new pickup location, or we would have been stranded. However, I could not think of a better place in the world to be stranded. Though the place is remote and birds and monkeys woke us up in the morning, this contributes to its attractiveness. I didn't ask, but the sign said bicycles, and next time, I will borrow a bicycle from Andrea to see the sights.

Room Tip: I had the cheapest room, it still had nice "character"
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank james r

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Flying Crocodile for just over 2 weeks. Totally wonderful place, Andrea and Petra are really friendly hosts and couldn't do enough for us. The accommodation and the food was great with a good variety on the menu. They organised our 4 wheel drive hire, although for the first 5 days we simply relaxed and unwound. The beach is a 10 minute walk and we were usually the only ones there. Waking up to howler monkeys above our patio was immense. I went up in the gyrocopter and it's the best thing I have ever done. Would definitely recommend for all ages and would like to go back someday.

Room Tip: We stayed in the deluxe room and it was ideal, near the pool and the howler monkeys pass over the pa...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at The Flying Crocodiles for 4 days and we didn't want to leave.

I especially loved waking up and having breakfast and coffee every morning. The breakfast is really good - compared to other hotels we've stayed at in Costa Rica. The cook makes excellent omelets. =)

The hotel is a bit difficult to find, but totally worth it. Since it's located a few miles outside of town, you'll probably need a car.

I also want to mention that the owners of the hotel are super helpful and very hands on. They really go out of their way to make you feel welcome.

The hotel is really an interesting and special place you don't want to miss. All the rooms are very unique. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite with a kitchen. Sunny and super spacious - Check out my pics!

1 Thank Angella K
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I was there with my 9 years old son for a week of resting, swimming and flying. We found it all in a very attractive setting. The houses are very nice and with lots of carachter. It is a small place so no chaos and stressful scenes: pure relax. Then, if one is really adventurous: fly around in one of their gyroplanes. A unique and rewarding experience.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank paolo g
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Our family (two adults, girls aged 1 and 4) stayed here in mid-March for two nights, and very much enjoyed our visit. The hotel grounds are beautifully landscaped, with lush vegetation and paths winding among the cabins making a fun place for small children to explore. There's lots of wildlife to see on the property: howler monkeys pass through each day, iguanas roam the paths, and occasionally you can see a coati scurry by. At the centre of the property is a magnificent guanacaste tree, and it and the other mature trees are filled with birdsong. The place is very well maintained, and our room was spotlessly clean. We stayed in the Enkidu room, which makes one half of a large cabin split with the Gilgamesh room. The room is very spacious, and made a great space for the kids to play.

We enjoyed the breakfast buffet, with plenty of fresh fruit, cereals and eggs to give us and girls a good start to the day. Lunch and dinner menus are limited, and as vegetarians, there wasn't too much for us to chose from. In the evening, we also tried the pizza at El Castillo near the beach. The pizza was great, but it took a very long time to come (over an hour - better to order ahead). Apparently it was a busy day, but there were interesting people to talk to, and we got to see the crocodiles across the estuary.

Playa Buenavista itself is about 12 minutes away on foot. Other reviewers have commented that this beach is dirty, and it's true that near the road end, there's a fair amount of trash, despite some obvious bins for garbage and recycling. Once you cross that small area onto the beach proper, it's as pristine as almost anywhere else in Costa Rica. The best part was that it was almost deserted when we were there - we had a gorgeous Pacific beach pretty much to ourselves.

Overall, we had a great time at the Flying Crocodile, and would happily visit again!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Bucharest
Reviewed 30 March 2014

It is not very easy to reach, but it was worth it.
The staff was very friendly - helped us solve a problem with the rental car and agency.
The rooms were large and clean, tastefully furbished.
You can find lots of animals in the garden, any time of day or night (we had an armadillo that came to our room every night). The sound of the howler monkeys can be very creepy, especially at night, but you get used to it. Iguanas are strolling everywhere, but they're not aggressive.
The pool was never crowded and it had everything you could want in order to relax.

Breakfast was not much and it was the same every day. Scrambled eggs were on demand only. There was ham, cheese, butter, jam, tomatoes and cucumbers. Fruit juice was always good and there was a variety of fruits also available.

It is not far from the beach (a short walk).

I would recommend this hotel for a stay in the middle of nature.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I had the pleasure of staying here for 3 nights (wish I would of stayed longer). I had fallen in love with this hotel first time I viewed it and booked many months in advance and it did not dissappoint.

Although all the lodgings looked lovely to me the Scarlet Macaw room caught my eye. Two story bungalow with a big, bright beautiful bathroom, stain glass windows and private balcony. Once I saw the room it was more beautiful than the photos. The wooden spiral stairwill going up stairs was so lovely at night with the dim lights and large long windows. There is no AC needed - the ceiling fans worked fine.

The grounds of the hotel are beautiful. Your own little jungle oasis. Gardens are kept very clean and lovely pool. There is a trampoline in the shade and pool table and fooz ball - along with some other games.

Breakfast included in the morning is lovely. You can ask for eggs any way you like them, there is fresh ham, lovely cheeses, tomatoes, onions and cucumbers to make a lovely sandwich. Fresh fruit and cereal offered. Lunch & dinner available. There is a chalk board and dinner options are offered for you to order. Fabulous. Every meal I had was superb. There are a few options every day and I actually looked forward to see what was available. I'm not a big foodie - but really this food was amazing. You could go for pizza at El Costello - but there was no one there the day we went. I heard the pizza was amazing there.

Bar to purchase drinks at a very reanable price. I stayed with my 9 year old grandson and we had a great time. The beach is a few minutes walk away where howlers will entertain you along the way. Did I mention this was howlermania? They were everywhere. How entertaining. There is a store with minimal supplies a few minutes away. Always a nice walk to get an ice cream.

We walked over the rocks to the beach next door where Mel Gibson has his estate. How lovely. Playa Buena Vista was beautiful. Rarely anyone on the beach. This is the life.

I did not have a car and really do not see the need you would need one to go into Samara. We stayed there after our stay and really Flying Crocodile had everything we needed. Great food, beautiful grounds and the staff were amazing. Andrea & Petra were most wonderful hosts. Helping you with anything you ask. As I said before - wish I would of stayed longer. This a great place for people that love nature and just want to relax. Paradise.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family