See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 June 2017

I've been visiting Samara for about 15 years. There are many good choices if you're looking for a place to stay - camping, hostels, B&B, hotels. Over the years, I've stayed at many of them but this is the only hotel I've ever recommended

The location and local beaches are magical. The hotel and the grounds are beautiful. The staff and owner are warm & friendly, but respectful of your privacy. It's obvious that the Hotel Paraiso del Cocodrilo was made as a labor of love.

I suggest you reach out to them and ask them if you can stay in paradise for a little while. I'm sure they will welcome you. Pura Vida!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Rana c, Inhaber at Hotel Paraiso del Cocodrilo, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2017

Thank you, hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 16 April 2017 via mobile

We showed up in Samara with four small kids after a two hour drive from Liberia to be told we had been double booked by Trip Advisor and there was no availability. This was Easter weekend; the busiest Fri of the year. The owner could not explain why nobody called or e-mailed me but just threw his hands up and said it wasn't his fault. He didn't offer to help, give us a free dinner, or compensate in any way. He said our best bet was to get in the car and drive out of town to see if we could find something. We went next door to the Flying Crocodile. They didn't have a room but she called around and found us a place that was $100 dollars more at Las Ranas. If you want to stay in this spot, I recommend the hotel, The Flying Crocodile. Stay away from Paraiso de Cocodriles.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Rana c, Inhaber at Hotel Paraiso del Cocodrilo, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2017

We sincerely regret, but we had written directly after the reservation that we have no room free. Otherwise, they are a very loving and religious person, and many thanks for the review.

Reviewed 11 February 2017

My sister and I stayed here for three nights and LOVED it SO much that we rebooked it for her last two nights yet to come in Costa Rica! The hotel itself is quite eclectic, with beautiful architecture and stunning and lush grounds which are extremely well maintained. The staff and owner were incredibly gracious and accommodating, and allowed me to have my 5lb. Yorkie stay with us. Our room was huge and well appointed with good and comfortable furniture; as well, it contained a tiny studio kitchen, should we decide to cook in our rooms - however, the restaurant at the hotel had such great food (breakfast, lunch and dinner) that we ended up not cooking at all! The swimming pool was large and crystal clear, with loads of pretty lounge chairs... all in great shape. A relatively private beach is only a short walk/drive, should one choose to use it. We saw a tremendous amount of wildlife while there... iguanas, birds, monkeys and a lovely coati! I honestly can't say enough good things about this place. Should you choose this hotel, you will receive a very large bang for your dollar!

Room Tip: I am sure that all the rooms are wonderful, but if you want to save money on food than book a room with a small kitchenette.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
Rana c, Inhaber at Hotel Paraiso del Cocodrilo, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2017

Thank you. We wish you a good time in Costa Rica

Reviewed 27 January 2017

Relax in this lovely hotel out of town Confortable rooms clean and kitchenette a bonus!
Restaurant should you choose to want a nice meal cooked meal or snack
Very friendly staff
Lovely gardens and pool ... weather their is 40 people staying or 2 you always feel it's your own little oasis Private lovely beach with mountains in the vista no need to travel miles and miles if you wait all the gifts of Costa Rica will present themselves
Birds monkeys vegetation try .it ...Just a short drive into town if you want some busy time !!! We always come back !!!

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
Rana c, Inhaber at Hotel Paraiso del Cocodrilo, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2017

Thanks for the good rating.

Reviewed 13 January 2017

Well, to be honest arriving there indeed is an experience, because it really is a bit remote. But I actually don't see a problem with that, I mean, if you travel to a foreign place you should prepare and inform yourself for the journey, that kind of includes doing a little research on where you are staying...
So, once arrived I quickly realised that this place is different than other places - but in a positive way. At this place you can have both, peace and adventure, at the same time. If you prefere having a relaxed and peaceful trip you can enjoy the quiet atmosphere in the jungle. In my room I could hear all sorts of jungle noises as well as the sea, what actually was pretty calming and not loud and annoying at all. But I didn't want to have nothing else but relaxation, so I often went on little trips. And even without a car - it worked just fine. Nearby are two different beaches, playa Buenavista and playa Barrigona, which can be easily accessed by foot. Of those two I highly recommend playa Barrigona, an increadibly beautiful place (even though it is like a 45 min. walk to this place, but it was worth it!). Another thing you can do if you want to have some change from your holiday everyday life is going to Sámara, the next small town located about 6km distant from the Hotel. It's a really sweet place with a lot of restaurants and little shops (it's like a 25min. ride with a bike).
Well, back to the hotel itself. I can't complain. The room was perfectly comfortable and always clean, had a big bathroom and air conditioning and even a fridge. And as I was told there are even bigger apartnments with a proper kitchen. But for a single person travelling I think a regular room is just fine, because you can eat tasty dishes in the restaurant as well. My recommendation: try the fruit and granola breakfast. Actually, anything with fruits in it was pretty tasty. I just loved the freshly to order prepared shakes!
And I was really pleased with the staff - from the cleaning ladies to the restaurant staff, they all were really nice and trying to make everything perfect for ones stay. And don't worry if your spanish isn't that great, there are several people who can speak english as well, some of them even spoke german I think.
Well, if you are looking for something with a quite unique atmosphere, I would say go for it, give the Hotel Paraíso del Cocodrilo a try.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo

Thanks for the good rating. And we hope that we can welcome you here again.
Rainer and Team.