“Wonderful!”

Ranked #15 of 32 Playa Samara B&B and Inns
California
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed 13 July 2009

I found this hotel by chance! I had not made any reservations, nor did I know where I was going to stay when I made the sudden decision to go to Samara.

When I was let out the bus from San Jose which was a 4-5 hour drive, I just grabbed my luggage and started walking around this little beach town. I thought that the right place is going to call to me and LOCANDA was THE place.

I stayed for almost two weeks and the staff and the owner were the most helpful and beautiful ever! I could not have asked for more.

Having been a solo female traveler, they protected me and made me feel secure and welcomed! I felt totally safe going to the restaurant and bar and not feel concerned. they even have a night time guard, William, who watches over the place while everyone is asleep!

I met so many wonderful people there, as the bar is right on the beach and people from all over the globe come to have drinks because you cannot deny the beauty in front of your eyes, not to mention good company and the best drinks made by Oscar and Rafa. They are the best and if you are nice they may show you the nice dance clubs on the beach!

As for the food, since I am the pickiest since I was 3 years old, Jonathan the cook, made the best meals ever!

What I found really nice and good, was that while you were sitting and having your drink, they would give you different appetizers, or soup for free which made you feel wonderful tasting the taste of their art and hard work.

I Love everyone I met there and I hope to see them again and I am so grateful for such experience.

Would I want to go there again?

Absolutely

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
chapter2
Reviewed 21 May 2009

I puposely waited a couple of months before sitting down to give this feedback, because it would have been much worse closer to our stay. This was a very disappointing experience. I had high hopes based on (most of) the other reviews and the fact that it was on the Travelers Choice list. I was traveling with my husband and 2 sons aged 14 and 16. Let me start be saying that we are pretty rugged, like to camp, and can handle hard/thin mattresses and spartan lodgings, etc.

We rented a suite and it was dirty and have a usable kitchen (dirty cooking equipment & utensils), so we had to go out for all meals. Breakfast downstairs was OK and not cheap. There were no screens on two windows (windows didn't close and were right next to a door, so forget security - see photo). The management seemed unaware that the screens were missing (?!) until we brought it up. The shower head had open wires on it (it's actually a shower head with a heater that didn't work, and when my husband reached up to see if there was a switch, he got a shock). The sitting room furniture consisted of two small plastic chairs - no table, sofa, no dining furniture in the place. So for 3 days and nights we were expected to come in and sit on the beds, I guess. Some family vacation. The town is small and laid back, and it seemed like there were so many other options for lodging just steps from the beach - they were cheaper and cleaner, with nice breakfasts included. We spent 11 days traveling around Costa Rica and loved the rest of our lodging. I reserved based on Tripadvisor and batted a 750!! This was a big "miss", though, since it was our beach time. Who writes these reviews? Maybe folks at the bar downstairs at 1am.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank chapter2

Travellers are raving about these Playa Samara hotels

italy
Reviewed 13 May 2009

This would have to be THE BEST place to spend your time in Playa Samara.It was exactly what we were looking for. beach front location, near the shops, clean nice rooms.Friendly owner makes you feel at home. Will definitely stay here again!!!

• Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
France
Reviewed 2 May 2009

Staying at Locanda was just great! Everything from the location on one of Costa Rica's most beautiful beaches to the rooms, the staff and Locanda's great restaurant made my stay there a wonderful experience! The staff was especially nice, they helped me make the most of my stay in Samara, and gave me lots of great tips about traveling in Costa Rica altogether. Rooms are clean and comfy and the view is priceless there when the sun sets! Great friendly atmosphere also... I'm thinking of going back to Samara just to enjoy a couple more days at Locanda! A gem amongst the gems...!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
italy
Reviewed 30 April 2009

I spent three days at Locanda with a friend during our trip in Costa Rica and we had a great time there! Our room was clean and comfortable, straight out onto the beach.
The staff was incredibly friendly and kind to us, giving us tips for the rest of the journey.
We ate delicious seafood at Locanda's restaurant , which has an amazing terrace on the beach front!! The spot is really breathtaking, especially at sunset..

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
toronto
Reviewed 26 March 2009

When we arrived in Playa Samara, we were so excited by the prospect of having a few days to do nothing but relax on a beautiful beach. That feeling didn't last though! One glimpse of the accomodation at Locanda and those feelings evaporated! One sniff off the back balcony, and I was depressed. A group of squatters were washing their dishes in a ditch just beneath our window! The smell was not pleasant. The apartment was worn out - nasty old beds, a awful bathroom, and the exceptionally offputting management did not help very much. Don't go! Ther are many, many other places that cost the same and are so much better.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
TO
Reviewed 25 March 2009

We booked into the Locanda based on photos and Tripadvisor recommendations. When we arrived, I thought we must have been at the wrong location. Apart from the front facade, nothing was as was pictured. Our apartment smelled musty and wasn't very clean. There was a kitchen table but no chairs. No towels. We had to request them and what we got were old scratchy dull from wear towels, one each and no face cloths or hand towels. Beds consisted of a foam slab with mismatched, well worn linens. Both kitchen and bathroom had a single handle faucet with one temperature-lukewarm.
Our apartment faced the courtyard which seemed to have a constant stream of delivery trucks idling during the day so a siesta was out of the question and during the night the campgrounds in behind kept us awake.
We checked out the next morning forfeiting our 50% deposit for the week. Could not bear another moment there. Found a much better hotel further down the beach at a similar rate.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends