“A Very Disappointing Experience” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Locanda Samara

Locanda Samara
Ranked #15 of 32 Playa Samara B&B and Inns
Vancouver
“A Very Disappointing Experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2010

We went to this hotel on the advice of some friends. Wow, what a disappointment. The rooms were very sparse and needed paint and a major overhaul. The hot water did not work properly and to call them clean is an understatement. The restaurant was alright, however, there are much better around. The location was beautiful, however, the bar beside the hotel can be quite noisy until 2 am which can get very annoying. There are definitely better places to stay in the town and for much better value.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Bozeman, Montana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2010

The rooms are small and spartan (there are apartment units that looked nicer). We reserved two rooms with warm water and air conditioning. The warm water is delivered by the instant heaters at the shower-head that are typical in Latin America. The installation of these is subpar; people were shocked in both rooms while showering. One room had an a/c unit too loud to use while sleeping, but could be used to cool the room before returning. The other room had no a/c. On Friday and Saturday nights, the music from the bar next door is pretty loud until 2:00 a.m. or so. The location is great, but it seems that most places on Playa Samara are. The restaurant with the same name is great (best 'Pescado Entero' we've ever had in C.R.), but we heard the restaurant and hotel were run separately. They allow dogs and had rooms available, which is why we ended up staying there. We loved Samara and will definitely go back, but will try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
Surrey, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2010

Actually the apartment was so bad I couldn´t stay there. There was a living room area with no tv and furniture and no towels. The place was full of bugs and very basic. The people who have writen positive reviews must be used to staying in hostels. Location I agree is very good, but even when ordering food, the standard of cleanliness was very poor and there were flies everywhere. I have been in Costa Rica for 2 weeks and it has been the only restaurant to have flies buzzing around.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Playa Samara hotels

Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2009

It's been nine months since I stayed at Locanda and here I am again, planning a trip to Samara Beach for the winter. Locanda's my new default staging ground for the Nicoya Peninsula. I have nothing but fond memories of the simple room, incredible location and staff there. Louis the manager and Alberto the bar/restaurant manager both made me feel totally at home, happily obliging my every whim - drinks, food, travel advice - you name it... The staff were helpful and affable and also gracious as I ended up staying for nearly two weeks, paying for my room one night at a time... What with the affordable food, beach-side tables, bar and espresso machine, I just couldn't pull myself away. Can't wait to get back for another (extended) visit!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2009

I found this hotel by chance! I had not made any reservations, nor did I know where I was going to stay when I made the sudden decision to go to Samara.

When I was let out the bus from San Jose which was a 4-5 hour drive, I just grabbed my luggage and started walking around this little beach town. I thought that the right place is going to call to me and LOCANDA was THE place.

I stayed for almost two weeks and the staff and the owner were the most helpful and beautiful ever! I could not have asked for more.

Having been a solo female traveler, they protected me and made me feel secure and welcomed! I felt totally safe going to the restaurant and bar and not feel concerned. they even have a night time guard, William, who watches over the place while everyone is asleep!

I met so many wonderful people there, as the bar is right on the beach and people from all over the globe come to have drinks because you cannot deny the beauty in front of your eyes, not to mention good company and the best drinks made by Oscar and Rafa. They are the best and if you are nice they may show you the nice dance clubs on the beach!

As for the food, since I am the pickiest since I was 3 years old, Jonathan the cook, made the best meals ever!

What I found really nice and good, was that while you were sitting and having your drink, they would give you different appetizers, or soup for free which made you feel wonderful tasting the taste of their art and hard work.

I Love everyone I met there and I hope to see them again and I am so grateful for such experience.

Would I want to go there again?

Absolutely

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
chapter2
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2009

I puposely waited a couple of months before sitting down to give this feedback, because it would have been much worse closer to our stay. This was a very disappointing experience. I had high hopes based on (most of) the other reviews and the fact that it was on the Travelers Choice list. I was traveling with my husband and 2 sons aged 14 and 16. Let me start be saying that we are pretty rugged, like to camp, and can handle hard/thin mattresses and spartan lodgings, etc.

We rented a suite and it was dirty and have a usable kitchen (dirty cooking equipment & utensils), so we had to go out for all meals. Breakfast downstairs was OK and not cheap. There were no screens on two windows (windows didn't close and were right next to a door, so forget security - see photo). The management seemed unaware that the screens were missing (?!) until we brought it up. The shower head had open wires on it (it's actually a shower head with a heater that didn't work, and when my husband reached up to see if there was a switch, he got a shock). The sitting room furniture consisted of two small plastic chairs - no table, sofa, no dining furniture in the place. So for 3 days and nights we were expected to come in and sit on the beds, I guess. Some family vacation. The town is small and laid back, and it seemed like there were so many other options for lodging just steps from the beach - they were cheaper and cleaner, with nice breakfasts included. We spent 11 days traveling around Costa Rica and loved the rest of our lodging. I reserved based on Tripadvisor and batted a 750!! This was a big "miss", though, since it was our beach time. Who writes these reviews? Maybe folks at the bar downstairs at 1am.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank chapter2
italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2009

This would have to be THE BEST place to spend your time in Playa Samara.It was exactly what we were looking for. beach front location, near the shops, clean nice rooms.Friendly owner makes you feel at home. Will definitely stay here again!!!

• Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends