“I can't imagine staying anywhere else in Playa Samara”

The Hideaway Hotel Playa Samara
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Playa Samara
Saint Charles, Missouri
“I can't imagine staying anywhere else in Playa Samara”
Reviewed 8 March 2011

First of all, all of the positive reviews are very accurate and I won't bother reiterating all the same comments. If you are looking for safe, clean, and more American style accomodations while in or near Playa Samara or Playa Carillo then this is it. I agonized over my decision and after staying there and looking at the other choices - whew, big sigh of relief that we chose the Hideaway.

We had room 7, 1 king bed. The room was a nice size and the bathroom was very large. The AC worked well, and I would totally recommend having AC while in Samara - very hot! All of the rooms are a very close walk to the pool and main lobby area. I would ask for room 12 in the future as it faces the trees and is on the 2nd level - if your into total privacy.

The breakfast was included and was good, it included fruit, coffee, oj, and either an egg choice or a french toast option - both were good. We never had dinner there, though we had snacks and a lunch by the pool and they were fine. The bar drinks were tasty - like everyone says - try the mango margaritas, they really are good.

The service was friendly and efficient. There is wifi at the main lobby area and around the pool. It seemed very spotty. Could not get wifi in the rooms, which was disappointing. There is a computer with internet connection in the lobby for guest use.

The pool area is nice, quiet and relaxing, but possibly a little small - this is not a big deal as much of the time is spent at the beach or other activiites. This hotel seemed to be more for couples, which was perfect for us. I was very glad there were not families with young children due to the size of the pool area.

Playa Samara is a 2 minute walk away. The beach is perfect for walking, running and even exploring more hidden beaches during low tide. Not a great section for swimming. For that go to Playa Carrilo, or even the more northern end of Samara.

We had a car, IMO, it is not walkable to town - especially at night. There are no sidewalks or shoulder and the road is very dark. We didnt walk the beach to town as there is a creek with water in it that you'd have to cross.

Samara is a funky little beach town and it has less expensive room choices, but you will get what you pay for. If you don't mind paying slighty more you will appreciate the the quiet style of the Hideaway. if you are looking for a "party" atmosphere you may want to look closer in town.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Los Angeles
Reviewed 23 February 2011

My wife and I stayed here for two nights. This was one of five places we stayed during our trip to Costa Rica and definitely our favorite! The owners and their entire team are warm and helpful. The food is good and service top-notch. It is a short walk from Playa Carillo, a quiet, calm-watered, secluded beach, and only a 1-minute walk to Playa Samara. The rooms are large with great temperature control and very comfortable chairs.

It's also a tremendous value for all that they provide - check it out!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed 22 February 2011

I just returned from a week at the Hideaway Hotel with several friends, who managed to rent out every room at the hotel. While the hotel has many great features, the hospitality of Doug, Rosy and their team make this hotel a really fantastic escape.

We enjoyed getting to know all of them during our poolside breakfasts, which were very nice Costa Rican breakfasts and fruit plates rather than some cold hotel breakfast buffet. And the team always checked in during our evening drinks to make sure we had a good time that day - and to see if we needed help planning other tours, trips.

Rosy's guacamole and chips were my favorite bad habit, as were some of Dougs drinks (be sure to try his milkshakes!). I can highly recommend the fish, chicken sandwhich and pizzas as well. The homemade icecream, brownies and cookie bars also dded a few pounds to my waistline. :-)

The location is between Playa Samara and Playa Carillo, both of which can be reached within a short walk. The town of Playa Samara is far enough away down the beach that we often times took taxis ($6 for up to 4 people), but had friends who walked it daily. Some people might not like being so far from the town, but for me, the quick access to the uncrowded beaches was well worth it.

We spent a fair amount of time in and around the pool where we were able to see monkeys several times in the trees above. It's not a huge lap pool, but big enough for the # of guest who can stay there and really a nice way to cool off at the end of the day.

The rooms are good size with big showers and I slept soundly on those beds - either they are just that comfortable or I was just that tired...either way, they did the trick!

Overall, a great place to get away and still feel right at home.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 21 February 2011

My wife, our 8-year-old daughter and I recently moved to the mountains in Costa Rica. When we head to Samara to enjoy the beach, the Hideaway is our first choice in places to stay.

The rooms are very large and have most everything you're going to need: large bathrooms with plenty of hot water, comfortable beds, good wifi, safes, mini-fridge, and great A/C. We haven't turned the TV on, but I think they list about 45 channels in their room guide if you feel like being a vegetable for awhile.

The hotel restaurant is surprisingly good. Not fancy by any means, but certainly solid. We weren't expecting much, but the meals turned out to be very fresh and well prepared. They could very easily just sling a slab of fish on your plate and call it a day, but they seem to put thought and effort into making it a worthwhile dish. (This "take the extra step" attitude seems pervasive throughout the whole hotel.)

The pool area is very nice for relaxing after hitting the beach. It's right by the small bar area, so you can take a dip, have a drink, grab some shade, read and book and stare at the howler monkeys climbing around above you.

Rosie and Doug could not have been nicer to our daughter. Some places treat children as demons who should be avoided like the plague. While those people are of course correct, Doug and Rosie were kind enough to overlook that fact and treat our daughter with utmost respect and civility.

Doug and Rosie are usually there if you have any questions about the area (restaurant recommendations, activities, etc.) or if you have any requests for services at the hotel (pool towels, beach mats, etc.) Their help was always provided quickly and with a smile.

Their employees are also top-notch. I'm not sure if Doug and Rosie offer better salaries than other places or if they just dump lithium in the drinking water, but all their waitstaff and people working the front desk were genuinely charming. Samara as a whole isn't that bad, but we have been to other towns in Costa Rica where the people working in the service industry look and act as though they spend their nights manacled to a wall in a dungeon some place.

Then again, if a bunch of gringos invaded my town, bought the whole place up, made the price of my groceries quadruple and finally asked me to refill their water glasses every five minutes, maybe I'd be a bit bummed, too. But I digress.

The only thing to consider before booking a room here is the location. It is not right on the water. The hotel is about a two-minute walk from the south end of Samara Beach. It's an easy walk, though, down an improved dirt road. From the beach, it's about a 30-minute walk to the town of Samara. It's a very pleasant, easy walk. You just stroll along the whole sandy cove. I think our cab fare into town was $6USD. The hotel can call a cab for you.

Their location has two advantages, though. First, it's very quiet and peaceful. Samara isn't exactly the Las Vegas Strip, but it is a beach town. Secondly, and perhaps most importantly, the Hideaway is only a seven-minute walk from Playa Carrillo. Carrillo is the next beach to the south. The beach is as big as Samara, but it's almost entirely lined with two giant rows of palm trees for shade, which can sometimes be tough to find at Samara.

Also, there are absolutely no hotels, businesses or services at Carrillo. It's not built up at all. You head to Carrillo with a few snacks and bottles of water, play in the surf for as long as you want, walk back to the Hideaway for lunch/dinner, relax by the pool. It's a good time.

In summary, Doug and Rosie seem to have their place running like a top. Their hard work shows.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Susquehanna71
Calgary
Reviewed 16 February 2011

Terrific design, inside and out. Secure. Amazingly quiet even though not far from main road. Nice pool. Well-kept and nicely landscaped grounds. Very relaxing. Just a few minutes walk from the quiet end of Playa Samara, really close also to Playa Carillo. Very friendly and helpful staff and owners. Definitely "uncommon quality".

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 13 February 2011

This was my first trip to Costa Rica and although I'd heard how wonderful Costa Rica is (and it was) I also heard that crime may be a problem. This wasn't the case at the HideAway. It felt complete safe, friendly and helpful. Proprietors Rosy and Doug are warm, welcoming, very helpful and take a genuine interest in their guest. Without being over bearing, they check in to make sure all is well and offer assistance in excursion planning. Having tasty and convenient meals by their beautiful poolside patio felt like being at a good friends home. Everything was immaculate and well thought out from the hotel rooms to the showers to the grounds. The gated courtyard with hired security gave a secure feeling that everything was safe. The short walk down the quite road to the peaceful beach was wonderful. Easy and quick access to the town of Samara with the quiet of the country landscape.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Atlanta
Reviewed 9 February 2011

My partner and I stayed for 3 nights at the Hideaway Hotel. Everything I read about the hotel being clean, comfortable and close to the beach was true. The staff was friendly and helpful when asked for guidance on places to see or restaurants to eat. Our room (#12) was upstairs and we could see the water and hear the waves through the trees of the property between the Hideaway and the beach. The monkeys were there to greet us one moring as we drank coffee on our balcony. The room itself is large with a comfortable bed and a bathroom with a spacious walk-in shower. Their food was good, and the bartendar makes some delicious drinks. They were nice enough to surprise me with one of Rosy's homemade and delicious brownies for my birthday (with a candle on it). We will be back!

Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple