We stayed at the Gecko Verde for 5 nights, staying in the two-bedroom 'Tabacon' building. We were a group of 2 adults and 2 young children ( ages 1 and 3) and the accommodation was perfect for us: the kids loved exploring the beautifully manicured gardens the lodge is set in and they loved the abundant wildlife in the area (you are all but guaranteed to see howler monkeys, coatis and raccoons).
They don't have a restaurant on site (except for breakfast) but instead offer a food ordering service - basically they have the menus from several local restaurants and will order in for you. I found this a very easy way to have a much wider choice of food than at a hotel with its own restaurant. We did try cooking using the facilities in our room and it was tougher than one would hope - limited equipment and uneven pans making it hard to control the heat.
The hotel has several trails in the local forest that are nice for a walk but the hills are steep and it isn't really suitable for young kids. The walk to ' secret beach' is nice, although there are better beaches in the area.
As a keen runner, ı enjoyed the proximity both to Playa Buena vista and Playa samara (both about 5 minutes run away for me) both of which make for stunning runs.
The hotel is located on an unsealed road about 5 minutes out of Samara - from our experience, there is no need for a 4wd / high clearance vehicle unless you plan on traveling in the direction of nosara (the road is fairly rough and there is a river to ford)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- El Pequeño Gecko Verde is a small Boutique Hotel in Sámara beach, at the edge of the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica. The hotel consists of beautiful villas, luxurious bungalows and romantics rooms, arranged to maximize privacy, in the middle of a beautiful tropical garden. Located 5 minutes by car from the central village of Sámara and its gorgeous fine sand beach, El Pequeño Gecko Verde is far from the crowd and the noise, immersed in the most tropical and the most quiet and serene part of the area. This privileged location in Sámara makes the hotel a unique oasis and the perfect compromise between beach and nature. It's also the ideal starting point for discovering the beaches of Buena Vista, Barrigona, Carrillo, San Miguel as well as numerous activities in and around the hotel and surrounding area. El Pequeño Gecko Verde is a small Boutique Hotel in Sámara beach, at the edge of the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica. Nestled in the midst of centenarian trees and a lush tropical garden, the property is home to more than one hundred species of trees and tropical plants. As the flora and fauna occupy an essential importance to our setting, you will without a doubt witness some of the numerous animals which live all around the hotel, such as: monkeys, coatimundis, armadillos, raccoons, anteaters, squirrels, jaguarundis, agoutis, amphibians, iguanas, as well as many birds and butterflies... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your El Pequeno Gecko Verde reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Pequeno Gecko Verde Hotel Playa Samara
- El Pequeno Gecko Verde Costa Rica/Playa Samara