We traveld Costa Rica without a car, which worked out fine for us but was the most difficult in Samara. We like places that aren't so touristy and we thought this would be a nice relaxing way to end our trip. First, the grounds are absolutely beautiful. The pool is beautiful and the atmosphere is relaxing.
We stayed in Espavel and I have to say the room was kind of disappointing. It does not have a kitchen which was fine because we thought the breakfast was delicious and we were able to order in food as needed. The room was quite 'buggy' and tiny. I realize ants are everywhere in Costa Rica but this was the only place we stayed where they seemed like they were everywhere in the room. The bed was also very uncomfortable. To be fair, the first stop for us had Temper-Pedic beds and the middle stop also had upscale mattresses. But this mattress, you could feel the springs.
Without a car, I'm not sure I'd recommend staying here. We are walkers but this was a bit of a hike to down and was quite a dusty journey at that. My husband smartly packed a flashlight and this was necessary as it gets dark quite early and even after an early dinner we walked back and it was very dark and would have been tough (and somewhat dangerous with the Tico style of driving) without the flashlight. The private beach is nice but not swimmable. It would have been much easier to drive to one of the local beaches. With that said, we did utilize a cab one day to get into town and it was easy and cheap.
The hosts were very helpful in assisting with transportation for us to get to the airport. Overall the staff was very helpful and friendly and do a great job with the upkeep of the grounds. It really does feel like a paradise walking around the grounds!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- El Pequeño Gecko Verde is a small Boutique Hotel in Sámara beach, at the edge of the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica. The hotel consists of beautiful villas, luxurious bungalows and romantics rooms, arranged to maximize privacy, in the middle of a beautiful tropical garden. Located 5 minutes by car from the central village of Sámara and its gorgeous fine sand beach, El Pequeño Gecko Verde is far from the crowd and the noise, immersed in the most tropical and the most quiet and serene part of the area. This privileged location in Sámara makes the hotel a unique oasis and the perfect compromise between beach and nature. It's also the ideal starting point for discovering the beaches of Buena Vista, Barrigona, Carrillo, San Miguel as well as numerous activities in and around the hotel and surrounding area. El Pequeño Gecko Verde is a small Boutique Hotel in Sámara beach, at the edge of the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica. Nestled in the midst of centenarian trees and a lush tropical garden, the property is home to more than one hundred species of trees and tropical plants. As the flora and fauna occupy an essential importance to our setting, you will without a doubt witness some of the numerous animals which live all around the hotel, such as: monkeys, coatimundis, armadillos, raccoons, anteaters, squirrels, jaguarundis, agoutis, amphibians, iguanas, as well as many birds and butterflies... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your El Pequeno Gecko Verde reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Pequeno Gecko Verde Hotel Playa Samara
- El Pequeno Gecko Verde Costa Rica/Playa Samara