“Finally, some real cheese!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Al Manglar Bar & Pizzeria - CLOSED

Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Finally, some real cheese!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

After traveling for a month in Central America, I had a hankering for some pizza while in Playa Samara. Eating beans and rice left something to be desired and I came to trusty tripadvisor to tell me where I could get some in this quaint little beach town at 9pm on a Tuesday.

Even though I walked by several places that served pizza on the way to Al Manglar's, I told my rumbling tummy to hold fast! better pizza's coming! It's off one of the main roads and also very close to the beach. My friend and I were the only customers and were treated like royalty from beginning to end. Our sweet waitress brought us two small slices of pizza as a sampling, since proclaiming immediately upon sitting how hungry we are! Did you know that cheese in Central America in general is really gross? Seeing Gorgonzola on the menu was like receiving a sports car for Christmas. We totally ordered that and OMG it was amazing. On trusty tripadvisor, a review mentioned to eat the lasagna. Now my friend is 6'5" and can devour a 30lb child if he is slightly hungry. This piece of lasagna was not only the best lasagna we've both ever had, it was the size of my head. It melted in my mouth, so delicious and creamy. We split it and each had a couple slices of the thin crust pizza, not a crumb more could fit in our stomachs at that point. I am embarrassed I ate as much as my behemoth friend. So enthralled by our meal experience, we were introduced to the lovely Rosa, the Italian woman who prepared us this memorable meal. Rosa has owned and cooked here for decades these wonderfully authentic Italian dishes. She was so humble, sweet and barely spoke a lick of English. Several kisses on the cheek later and my friend and I were walking the beach back to our hostel; stuffed and already nostalgic.

• Visited October 2013

toronto
“Fantastic Pizza”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

Seriously, this was one of the best pizza we've ever eaten! We ate here twice during our stay in Samara. Both times the service and food was excellent. Try the Diablo - spicy salami - and be sure to ask for the house specialty "hot olive oil" to add to it - awesome!

• Visited January 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Super friendly, super good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

We heard about this restaurant word-of-mouth as the best Italian food in Samara, and it was. Outstanding pastas cooked perfectly and the sauces were just as ordered. The atmosphere has a great family feel as well. It is easy to find, but is not on the beaten path (about a block from the main drag in town), so you most likely won't walk by it on the way to anywhere. But it is definitely the place to go if you are looking for authentic Italian food and a friendly, casual open-air atmosphere a short walk from both town and the beach.

• Visited December 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Old World Charm”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

There is nothing like a meal cooked from scratch in accordance with recipes passed down through generations. The delicious Italian food is prepared by the original owner who has been serving up great pizza, lasagna, penne, spagetti, etc. for almost twenty years. You know it is good value when you see local residents enjoying the food and sharing jovial banter with the owner. We have been to this restaurant several times with friends and family and enjoyed the visit every time. If you like some zest in your food, then do not forget to ask for house-made olive oil with hot peppers!

The rancho-style restaurant, open on three sides, located in town but off the main street, takes you to the time when home made meals were enjoyed in a pleasant environment at a civilized relaxing pace. So take your time and enjoy the experience.

• Visited September 2013
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Best lasagna on the planet!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

My husband and I eat here at least once every visit to Samara. I am gluten free but make a rare exception to come here and eat the amazing lasagna...it is the best I have ever had, including in Italy! The owner moved to Samara over 20 years ago from Italy and cooks in the kitchen every night. Not much atmosphere, but amazing food!

• Visited August 2013