“Maybe our bad luck, but service was TERRIBLE”
Review of Al Manglar Bar & Pizzeria - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We decided to check out Al Manglar on our last evening in Samara. The service seemed a little slow, but good bruschetta app to start. Two of us ordered pasta and two pizza. FORTY MINUTES after our pasta arrived, the pizza finally did -- except one of them went to the wrong table, and the guy promptly started eating it, so my friend had to wait some more. New pizza comes out -- and it isn't done. So we send it back again. Finally comes out and is done OK, AN HOUR after our pasta originally arrived. When the bill comes, the pizza is on there. I politely ask the waitress (even making an attempt in her native Italian) if we could get a discount on just the pizza. She rudely tells me no as if she's offended I even asked, double-checks with the chef, and comes out to tell us, "You eat, you pay. In the United States do you expect to eat free if something is late?" Well, not exactly 100% free, but we do expect a serious attempt to make things right with a customer. And no excuses, please -- I think the same is true of any decent spot in Costa Rica (or for that matter Italy, where any trattoria that operated like this would be out of business in a few weeks). The pasta was great and pizza (once done) good too, but honestly THE worst service I have ever encountered in my adult life -- put a bit of a damper on our last night in Samara.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Simply put: great food, great hostess. Incredibly nice cook, waitress, the works. Even got a show from a bunch of kittens living there! Would definately recommend this to anyone who loves an authentic Italian meal!!

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Al Manglar is off the beaten track in Samara, but worth the trip if you like Italian food with a Tico twist. We were a party of four and must have come in after a few big parties because we were definitely served on Tico-time! Staff was limited to waitress (assuming owner because she spoke Italian) and cook and the food was definitely made fresh to order. Our party ordered pizzas and fish casadas and the food was excellent. We would definitely recommend this place.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

After traveling for a month in Central America, I had a hankering for some pizza while in Playa Samara. Eating beans and rice left something to be desired and I came to trusty tripadvisor to tell me where I could get some in this quaint little beach town at 9pm on a Tuesday.

Even though I walked by several places that served pizza on the way to Al Manglar's, I told my rumbling tummy to hold fast! better pizza's coming! It's off one of the main roads and also very close to the beach. My friend and I were the only customers and were treated like royalty from beginning to end. Our sweet waitress brought us two small slices of pizza as a sampling, since proclaiming immediately upon sitting how hungry we are! Did you know that cheese in Central America in general is really gross? Seeing Gorgonzola on the menu was like receiving a sports car for Christmas. We totally ordered that and OMG it was amazing. On trusty tripadvisor, a review mentioned to eat the lasagna. Now my friend is 6'5" and can devour a 30lb child if he is slightly hungry. This piece of lasagna was not only the best lasagna we've both ever had, it was the size of my head. It melted in my mouth, so delicious and creamy. We split it and each had a couple slices of the thin crust pizza, not a crumb more could fit in our stomachs at that point. I am embarrassed I ate as much as my behemoth friend. So enthralled by our meal experience, we were introduced to the lovely Rosa, the Italian woman who prepared us this memorable meal. Rosa has owned and cooked here for decades these wonderfully authentic Italian dishes. She was so humble, sweet and barely spoke a lick of English. Several kisses on the cheek later and my friend and I were walking the beach back to our hostel; stuffed and already nostalgic.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Seriously, this was one of the best pizza we've ever eaten! We ate here twice during our stay in Samara. Both times the service and food was excellent. Try the Diablo - spicy salami - and be sure to ask for the house specialty "hot olive oil" to add to it - awesome!