“Very nice meal and service”

Restaurante Casa Esmeralda
Ranked #16 of 83 Restaurants in Playa Samara
Cuisines: Italian, Costa Rican, Central American
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We read Trip Advisor reviews for top restaurants in Costa Rica. Casa Esmeralda was one of the top of the list. We decided to go to into town and eat at Casa Esmeralda for lunch and was not disappointed. It wasn’t that busy on a Saturday late afternoon, but the service was great and the staff was friendly. Mixed drinks were good. Definitely recommend the Mussels and Shrimp in Emerald Sauce – awesome dish! We also had the Spaghetti w Avacado Sauce and Shrimp – this was also good. One of my friends had the Nutella Crepe for dessert. Not really expensive for lunch for three people. Really recommend this place to eat for lunch or dinner. I would definitely come back here next time I am in Costa Rica! This was the best restaurant of the places I ate at. Pura Vida!

The staff also gave us some tips on how to get to main street and to the supermarket. Also, tips to beware walking on the beach at night as people do get robbed. We encountered some shady people walking around the street at night and had to walk down the beach for safety. Much appreciated the tips! 

Reviewed 3 March 2014

I think this place is a must if you stay a few nights in Samara. The dishes are very satisfying, the staff were friendly and accommodating and the atmosphere was fun and festive.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Our neighbors at the condo we rented had dinner at Casa Esmeralda the night before we did and recommended it highly. They were right! We had a wait of about 15 or 20 min for a table, but there's a reason this place is busy: great seafood and pasta, lots of local charm, friendly service and very reasonable prices (the only really pricey thing on the menu seemed to be the lobster dishes). The octopus appetizer was delicious, I thoroughly enjoyed my spaghetti con mariscos and my friends loved, loved, LOVED the spaghetti in avocado sauce with shrimp. Note that it seems to be closed Sundays (the first night we tried to go).

Reviewed 1 March 2014

This was the first place we ate in Samara, on the advice of Dr. Freddy Soto (a charming local physician if you are in need of a doctor while on vacation). It was, as advertised; simple, local style food, cooked with fresh ingredients. Although it is not on the beach, it has a nice "casa" sort of feel to it. We were the first ones there the night we went, but it quickly filled up with locals and tourists alike. I wasn't feeling great that night so I had a simple chicken and rice dish with salad on the side. It was very tasty without being over done. My husband had pork with rice and beans which he said was very good too. Wines by the glass were some of the best we had, very reasonable and nicely chilled. Although we were a couple, I think this would be a great place for families. It was very family friendly, the menu had lots of good options for kids and it was very reasonable. We would definitely recommend dinner here if you are visiting Playa Samara.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Busy restaurant but no reservation necessary. Short wait. Service average. Food good. Fish soup was very good. Very affordable. Atmosphere noisy. Enjoyed our evening.