“Rustic but with great atmosphere”
Review of Las Mariposas

Las Mariposas
Brooklyn, New York
“Rustic but with great atmosphere”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Cool place to stay. A lot of people seem to live there for an extended period of time, who were there hanging around in the hammocks. Many people were using the well equipped kitchen, they give you boxes to keep all your food in. The places to eat in Samara were on the pricey side, so it was great that we could cook our food there. They played music during the day but made sure to quiet down by 10pm. As it is very hot in the area, the rooms have big areas just covered in screens (which were a bit broken). They provide a mosquito net which we slept in and a fan. There were a lot of ants in the bathroom and geckos in our room but we didn't mind. They provide a lot of tour books and information about the surrounding area. Only cold water. Wifi didn't work that well. Only about a two minute walk to the beach, which was great.
We just saw the owner our last day who was white but married to a Costa Rican. While we were staying we just talked to some European volunteer working there. Not a good place to practice Spanish!! (either in the hostel or in the town for that matter). Beware they tell of a "hidden beach" between Playa Samara and Playa Carillo which definitely did NOT exist. (we sincerely tried and nearly hurt ourselves). But there is a hidden beach between Samara and Buena Vista.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Justine Z

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I walked off the bus in Playa Samara at night, and with my dying phone I found Las Mariposas on Trip Advisor (Good thing I had a CR SIM card). I called, and I think her name was Deb answered and she directed me how to walk there. Upon entering, everyone there seemed real chill, hanging out on the communal dinner table or the hammocks behind it. They even offered me dinner. Soon after Deb showed me where everything was, I locked up my personals and went down and hung out. We ended up going to a fun full-moon party as a group straight from the hostel. It is right off the beach. Maybe a 40 yard walk, can't quite rememeber. This was January of 13' and I still keep in touch with some of those people I met. Great hostel. Great Costa Rican beach. I will be back.
The rooms are nice. I didn't see the single rooms, but the dorms were decent. When I was there, it was me 2 other guys and 4 girls. All cool people.
They offer paid wash and dryer service and have a kitchen. No big screens or anything, which is a good thing. I did see a book shelf to read or donate to.
They had a couple cruiser bikes too and let me borrow one to go to the mart to buy water and beer right down the street. It's walkable, but the bike had a convenient basket.

Room Tip: bring a small lock
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Johnny M
Narvik, Norway
Reviewed 24 January 2014

It's a bit more pricey than average hostels in the country, but this one definitely makes up for the few extra bucks. The location is perfect; situated on a quiet sidestreet with a minute's walk from the beach and about five minutes from supermarkets, restaurants and ATM. Dorms are simple, but clean and comfortable. There's hot water, a good kitchen, plenty of hammocks (which is also a sleeping option) and free coffee in the morning. I stayed here for one week and during that time the staff consisted of international volunteer workers. However, they were all very friendly, helpful and social people, plus they often cooked dinner and arranged trips for anyone who wanted to join. All in all a great hostel.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at the hostel for a long time and it was the best. location of the hostel is perfect,close to the beach and close to the centre of samara. I have met some awesome people there and the staff are super friendly. Also they organized cheap day trips that were very nice. I really made some good friends there. I would certainly recommend the hostel to everyone I know.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Paris
Reviewed 14 December 2013

It is a very good hotel with a lot of other travellers to meet. The dorm is clean and confortable with a lot of hammocks. It is only five minutes walk from the beach. The laundry service is good and cheap. The staff can be a bit disorganized.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed there only for one night, but its a very nice and good place to stay longer!
The staff (Eefje and Amanda) helped us friendly and gave us good advise!
The hostel has warm water and separate rooms, its clean and the atmosphere is relaxed and easy going!
There are enough hammocks to chill in and the beach is just around the corner!
What you see is what you get, and thats a fair price for a honest hostel!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I Stayed at las mariposas for a few nights. The staff were really helpful, kitchen and bathrooms were always clean. The atmosphere was great. Plenty to do and only a minute walk from the beach. Would love to go back!

• Stayed November 2013