“Perfect stay in Samara” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Playa Samara
Portland, Oregon, United States
“Perfect stay in Samara”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2012

Rancho de la Playa is one of my favorite places I've ever stayed. I was there for a week and my room was comfortable and very affordable. The restaurant is excellent and affordable as well. The pool is refreshing, clean, and gets shade during the hot afternoon hours. It was the best place to hang out and stay cool during the hottest time of day.

The best part about this place though is the staff. I had a string of bad luck (nothing to do with my stay at Rancho de la Playa) and everyone was incredibly helpful and kind to me. They even helped me find a longer term place to stay since they were booked up over the holidays. All of the staff were friendly and generous with their time.

There is also fun live music here a couple nights a week. Great place to relax, enjoy tasty food, and have some entertainment without the place being too noisy.

Room Tip: Budget travelers should ask for the shared bathroom rooms upstairs. They are simple, but clean, comf...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank AndinaAnnie

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Greensboro, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2012 via mobile

I stayed in Ranch for 2 nights. I got the "solo traveler special" of $20 for a private fan room with shared bathroom. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was given the cost. Big room, very clean and clean bathroom. It was noisy from the bar downstairs but it shut off at a reasonable hour so that's okay. Good wifi, book exchange, close to everything in town. No kitchen to make your own food but there are plenty of affordable restaurants in Samara. Overall would definitely recommend it as it is good value

• Stayed November 2012
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2012

My sister and I walked up, with backpacks on and the owner welcomed us and provided us a large kitchenette room for a very reasonable rate. There's a restaurant, bar and pool on site. The food was delicious, they had different types of local entertainment every night and the pool was clean and well kept. We were only planning on staying there one night but we ended up staying for 2 (wanted to stay more but ran out of time on our trip) because we loved it so much. This was my first trip to Costa Rica and backpacking, I will for sure go to Rancho De La Playa when I go back to Costa Rica.

• Stayed September 2012
Heredia, Costa Rica
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2012

I've been to this place several times and always loved it. Now, they are shooting more for the loud bar crowd. The live music is so loud you can hear it blocks away, never mind in all the rooms. Even breakfast is subject of the new speaker system - everywhere and loud. The food is still good and the staff is delightful, but don't expect to sleep or relax here. Sadly, it is off my list of places to stay.

Room Tip: There are no rooms that escape the live music. Maybe the little A-frame on the left side is better f...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012 via mobile

After a long day of traveling It was nice to be able to relax and the Rancho de la Playa is a perfect place to do this. The staff were all very friendly, taking the time to chit chat. One of the housekeepers who didn't speak English was so friendly and understanding of my lack of Spanish skills. She was very patient with me and took the time to try to figure out what I wanted (I needed some extra towels) instead of just blowing me off. We stayed in the apartment above the bar and didn't find it too terribly noisy and what noise there was ceased at a decent hour. What I liked best was the location. It takes about 3 minutes to get to the beach. I still think about the chicken quesadilla at the restaurant. It seems like such a basic thing, but they do something magical with it. Yum. The biggest thing is that I just felt so comfortable there. I recommend!

• Stayed January 2012
milwaukee, WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

I as in Samara to attend school here to learn Spanish. I was staying with a host family and wanted something in town. This place came recommended by the school I was attending. I loved this place. It is close to the beach and it has a restaurant on the premises. Their prices are reasonable and fair. The quality of the food was excellent. The owner is very easy going and everyone that worked there was very helpful and pleasant. I spent two nights here before leaving to go to another town. I liked this place so much that I came back the following weekend bringing friends with me. Again, I was totally happy with everything as were my friends. I would not hesitate to go back here to stay the next time I go to Samara!! The price was fantastic for what you received. It is not the Ritz but then I wasn't looking for that. It is a decent safe place that definitely delivered. Way to go Rancho:)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank sparkyygirl
Davis, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

Rancho de la Playa came highly recommended, and Philippe, the owner, and his family are delightful and very welcoming. The hotel is beautiful, in a great location, has wonderful food, a very fun ambiance, a clean and large pool, ping-pong table, a well-stocked bar, and is a local hangout for great music and food in the evenings. There is wifi in the rooms, AC, hot water. They also have large umbrellas and bikes for their guests, which is much appreciated.

I am a middle-aged American female, traveling alone. I stayed here for two nights. Unfortunately, the security guard was not on duty, and a local and well-known drug addict came to my room at 3 a.m. and tried to get in, was banging on my door, screaming in Spanish, and terrified me for about an hour. I was unable to escape through the window because of a large cactus plant. I screamed for help in three different languages, but no one responded. Long story short, the drug addict is known in Samara for these kinds of behaviors, and is frequently arrested. Very unfortunately, I was told he has a memory of someone in Room #6, and that's why he came to my room. (There is a double lock on that section of two rooms, which could have been a disaster if he had actually come into my room.) The police were alerted, but he was not arrested, even though he admitted he came to my room. He continued to hang out at the hotel, chatting with people, smoking, swimming, and no one seemed very concerned. The concern only seemed to be that the security guard had not come to work that night. I left the hotel immediately. I was assured that the security guard would not leave his post again, but the experience was too traumatizing.

This is a lovely place, run by lovely people, but it's extremely unfortunate that their security guard was not at his post, and that they welcomed that fellow at their hotel to just hang around anytime, knowing his behavior is unpredictable.

Room Tip: Avoid Room #6 and the room next to it. There is a double lock outside of these two rooms, and if yo...
Stayed June 2012, travelled solo