See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 April 2017 via mobile

We booked three nights at this hotel. For about 50$ a night we expected to get a clean room with hot water in the shower, nothing more and nothing less, we got none of the above and, the room was so dirty and smelled terrible, it was crawling with all sorts of insects so we ended up changing hotel after only one night there. The service in the hotel, or should I say the lack of service is simply a joke. A little girl was at the reception to give us the room and since than the reception was deserted so we had no one to complain to other than the cleaning lady who doesn't speak a word in English.
Bottom line is DON'T GO THERE!!! No matter what sort of accommodation needs you have, this place is simply not fit for any human being.

Stayed: April 2017
Reviewed 5 March 2017

I will start out by saying that the Mirador is not for everybody. It was, however, perfect for my wife and me.

Our room was spacious, usually clean (see below), airy, had a great view, and was entirely adequate in every respect. We arrived at an unfortunate time, as Max had left for Germany and the cleaning lady's father died on the day we arrived, so when we first opened the door we were confronted by a swarm of ants. However, Max has some long-term residents at his property who go out of their way to introduce themselves and help solve any problems that arise, so the swarm was quickly eliminated. If you insist on a place that is modern, and run with professional efficiency, this is not it; this is much homier, with neighbors looking out for neighbors. The sink and the fridge and the bathroom fixtures all look to be 25 or 30 years old. But they all work just fine, and if that is what you care about—and a very spacious, comfortable suite in a beautiful, quiet spot with a fabulous view—then the Mirador is for you.

One of the Trip Advisor reviews complained that the hotel is inconveniently far out of town, which is absurd. It is perfectly located up on a hill right next to the main drag. Any place in town is less than a five-minute walk, and because of the elevation of the hotel's rooms there is very little street noise from town. If you have a problem with climbing about five floors of stairs (unless you have a car and will be riding up the hill to the hotel, which we did not) then the Mirador is not for you. We were glad to get the exercise a few times a day, and if you don't mind climbing some stairs then the Mirador is for you. Another review complained about safety and security. We never had the slightest cause for concern at the Mirador. I can't imagine how anyone could have felt threatened on the hotel grounds, or for that matter anywhere in Samara, which is a lovely, low-key, laid-back little village without the slightest threat of any sort.

I would add that Samara is (or was in mid-February of 2017) both a lovely beach with zero hassle from vendors and touts, and body surfing paradise. At mid-tide and below, there was perfect wave after perfect wave, ranging from 3' to 5' trough to tip. Above mid-tide, the waves got a bit sloppier, but lots of 6' to 7', and an occasional 8' trough to tip wave. Bring your flippers! All morning through about 3 PM, the beach and the surf is nearly deserted. It gets a bit crowded with surfers in the late afternoon, but there are still plenty of slots to be body surfing by yourself. And the waves are all “close-outs” so they really aren't very good for board surfing—but they are just fine for body surfing.

All in all, my wife and I could not have had a more pleasant week in Costa Rica, and a big part of that was due to staying at the Mirador. It really suited us.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank rplalor
Reviewed 22 February 2017

I stayed here for 2 weeks with my wife and 3 children and we had a great time. It's about a 4 min walk to the beach and just far enough from the noise of the bars/restaurants in Samara.

There is no air conditioning but it's not needed because in the evening there's a nice breeze coming off the mountain to cool off the rooms and during the day we spent most of our time at the beach or exploring other natural wonders of the area. We just made sure to draw the drapes and to shut the doors on the patio keep out the sun while we were gone.

The kitchenette we had was new and they obviously are putting the time and money into this place to make their guests feel comfortable.

In the morning and in the evening we spent a fair bit of time on our private patio reading, eating and enjoying the spectacular view of the town and the ocean. And if we wanted to go out for a bite to eat or a drink it was quite literally a few minutes walk to everything we wanted.

I would say the only draw back of this place was that there was not enough shade pool side, and all I think it would take would be 3-4 tables with umbrellas to make this better.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank LLetain
Reviewed 26 July 2016

My girlfriend and I stayed here and did not feel safe at all. We are both female and there was little to no security at all, day/night. There is a long walk up a hill with very little lighting so do not go back to the hotel after nightfall. We decided to leave after the first night. We paid a very sketchy man at the front desk (who we waited an hour for) cash for our one night and were told we wouldn't have to pay for our second night's stay because we were leaving early because we felt unsafe. My credit card was then charged for BOTH nights. I was only ever reimbursed for one night (the night I paid cash for) but not the second night. I have sent repeated emails to Expedia with no answer. I am pretty disappointed in Expedia as well because of this. Anyway, I would never stay here again nor would I recommend anyone stays here!

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Richelle L
prepayment, Manager at Mirador de Samara, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2016

Hello Richelle L.
Sorry, but I am not sure, if you are talking about the right place. During this month of July I had no booking under the name of Richelle L. either with expedia or booking.com or whatever company. Also there was not any person, that had left after 1 night , having 2 nights booked. Nor did I never charge any guest who made a booking with expedia.
I dont know what you mean about security. There is security 24 hours a day. I live in the hotel and me and our guests, many of them for long terms ( 6 months) really feel save here.
Max

Reviewed 10 January 2016

My wife, my daughter & I stayed at the Mirador in Samara for 1 week of a 2 week vacation in December 2015. It's a grand, colonnaded apartment hotel with large 2 bedroom apartments with amazing patios overlooking the Playa Samara. The rooms were spacious, relatively cool, however sparsely furnished and equipped with fans, despite being listed as "air conditioned'. The rooms are up on the hill above the garden with the most delightful pool where we swam several times a day. Max, the owner was friendly and helpful, however be aware the mirador only takes cash or Paypal no credit card. One last niggle was the fact that the place is listed as having a restaurant, which it used to have but no longer. It was no trouble in the end however, as Samara has a range of great places for comida and bebida - particularly the amazing 'gusto beach' - all within walking distance.

Room Tip: Ground floor
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family