“quiet spot in paradise”
Review of Mirador de Samara

Mirador de Samara
Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in Playa Samara
Reviewed 2 January 2010

It is a graceful place. Located steps away from beach, shops and restaurants, the place is still has a nicely feel of being away from getting somewhat cluttered center of Samara.

The rooms are spacious and more then adequately equipped (you wouldn't find here luxury, but the furniture and fixtures are functional and well maintained; kitchen is more sufficient for simple meals; bathroom is large and clean). The pool sits between flowery bushes; the balconies are huge and offer stunning views.

It is the ideal place to relax - listening to ocean waves, cicadas, occasional barking dogs...

We did recommend this place to our friends - and will return there.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 January 2010

The owners were relaxed and helpful. They gave us plenty of privacy but were available when we needed them. Rooms were huge with cooking facilities and incredible views. Location is perfect-only a few minute walk from town and the beach. We met interesting and very friendly people from Europe, Canada and the US. We enjoyed the pool and amazing walks right out the door where we saw monkeys, iguanas and beautiful birds.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 May 2009

My husband and I have been to Samara several times and love this place. We loved it so much, we decided to get married here in April. If you are looking for a location that hosts 5 star hotels and luxury accommodations, Samara is probably not the place to go. Samara is more laid back and offers mostly casual accommodations.

We did some extra research and decided to pay a little more for accommodations considering we had a six year old, family, and friends to think about.

The owner, Max was very accommodating. Actually, he's my hero. We had a wedding party of eleven, that all had different needs and requests. Max did everything he could to make sure he met our needs to include finding a notary for the wedding (saving us $150), locating an iron and iron board, offering day tours, suggesting hair salon locations, allowing us to pick flowers for the bridal bouquet, etc.

The night we arrived, Max had seen that our rooms were well prepared. He had our honeymoon suite decorated especially for us. This was a very nice and appreciated gesture.

The hotel set up was absolutely perfect for what we needed. The honeymoon suite had a two-sided balcony that was large enough to host my entire wedding party in the evenings. The honeymoon suite also had the best breeze in the evenings.

My family really enjoyed the monkeys in the mornings. However, some of the monkeys were up a little early.

Max did a great job with our wedding. My husband and I wanted a stress free wedding. We did absolutely no advance planning, and it turned out better then perfect. Max had arranged for the notary in advance. The notary was very professional, polite, and well organized. Max and the notary even met us on Playa Carrillo, a beach area just south of Samara where we had the wedding ceremony. The ceremony took place around 5 pm (perfect time for sunset pictures). Not only that, but we received our wedding certificate within one month of the wedding (from what I was reading online I didn't expect to see a wedding certificate for four months). Max also offered to provide a wedding dinner, which we declined.

My one and only complaint was the payment situation. I had been led to believe Max accepted credit cards but preferred cash. I had brought some cash and wanted to pay the remaining balance by credit card. Max stated he did not accept credit cards, which was not what he had told several of my family members and myself prior to our arrival.

Even with this little “hiccup,” I would highly recommend the Mirador De Samara for anyone traveling in groups, with children, or couples planning a wedding.

Pura Vida

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 March 2009

I fully agree with modena1964 and his review. The panorama from the balcony is glorious, but the place is not terribly well kept. Lots of bad weeds in the garden, parts of the furniture seem to be waiting for the bulky waste removal. The pictures on their website are very, very flattering!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank YvesLuxembourg
Reviewed 3 March 2009

I have been coming to Samara for over 5 years now, both with my family and without. I have stayed in many hotels in the area and Mirador is out favortie by far. It is located on a hill in the middle of town which provides both convenience and a beautiful view of the bay and pacific ocean as well as a 3 minute walk to the beach, restaurants and shops. All rooms have views and decks and some have full kitchens The views are fantastic! The property is excellently maintained and cleaned and the staff has been there for years which provides a safer environment. The pool for sunset swims is my favorite. Max the owner is very friendly and helpfull with all things. I give it my highest recommendation.

The sta

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 February 2009

The Mirador is an unpretentious family run hotel just up the hill from the center of Samara. All the rooms have a stunning view of the town just below, the ocean and the setting sun. I had a wonderful stay and enjoyed working on my computer on the balcony, while looking out over the beautiful well kept grounds at the ocean and the town of Samara.

My nightly ritual of swimming in the pool and watching the sun set over the town was the perfect way to end the day. The Wifi was good and the simple breakfast of fruit and either French toast or scrambled eggs on the roof top restaurant was a great morning ritual. I highly recommend this charming and unpretentious hotel.

Note - some of the bigger rooms even have a kitchen, which is great for families or those staying longer term. The staff were all sweet and friendly.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 August 2008

we stayed few day at Mirador de Samara, after read the good review here and in Lonely planet.
Unfortunatly the situation is changed, nevertheless the kind welcome of Max, the room was very clean, and the breakfast not good in a dirty restaurant, that now is closed for dining.
our feeling is that was a good hotel, but now is in way of decline and need some restoration.

Samara is a good place to stay, with a large beach and many place to eat and drink, but, generally spoken, we prefere the caribe coast of Costa Rica.

Anyway also pacific coast should be visited and there are more other place that I can image are better than Samara and, in particular, Mirador de Samara

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)