“Perfect Location! Great Value!”
Review of Mirador de Samara

Mirador de Samara
Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in Playa Samara
Surrey, Canada
“Perfect Location! Great Value!”
Reviewed 9 March 2011

My wife and I just returned from our annual winter stay in Costa Rica at the Mirador de Samara. As were our stays in previous years, we had a wonderful vacation. The hotel is extremely well situated, very close to shopping, restaurants and a five-minute walk to the beach, but it is located on the hillside, surrounded by green areas and overlooking the town. The apartments are spacious and are very much enhanced by the large decks, with French doors opening from both the living and bedroom areas. Here is where we basically live for our two and a half month stay. The small town atmosphere is perfect for us. Long walks along the ocean, swimming in the ocean or pool, the beautiful red sunsets over the ocean then, dinner on the deck or at one of the many fine restaurants - all situated within walking distance. Perfect!

We enjoyed the general peace and quiet of this location. It is noisy during fiesta week, between Christmas and New Years, but then the fun of attending the fiesta events certainly made up for the noise.

The hotel is not for people who want the luxury of large chain hotels or all-inclusive resorts, but if you prefer the more personal local hotels, this is for you. The rooms and furnishings are basic, but very comfortable, and everything that we need is provided. Service is great and Max, the owner/manager, is very accommodating. This hotel is ideal for long-term and short-term stays.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
WaKeeney, Kansas
Reviewed 21 February 2011

This is the first time we have traveled outside the USA, and our expectations were a little different than reality. Our stay was comfortable, the ocean breezes and the view were wonderful. The grounds at the resort were very well maintained and beautiful. We want to thank Heinz for his tours and helping us learn about Costa Rica, he made our trip very enjoyable. Also a thank you to the lovely and sweet Senora who take care of our room.

tip: Being in a forgein country can be overwhelming, ask questions about accomadations and what is included; even after you have arrived.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Albertville, Alabama
Reviewed 11 February 2011

My wife and sons, ages 19, 15 and 8 stayed with Max for the second time during the New Years holiday. The apartment was great and we all fit comfortably. I had been to Samara in March of 2004 and found it a great base with which to tour this region of Costa Rica. We spent a one day trip to the north in around the beaches of Nosara and Ostienal. One day exploring the beaches to the south and another day going inland to the more mountainous regions and forest areas. The apartment allowed us to pickup groceries and cook several meals in the apartment which has a stove, microwave and refrigerator. I love coffee and learned the traditional costa rican filter method which I think is wonderful. Max is a wealth of information and arranged a fishing and snorkeling trip for us on one day.
One thing I learned this trip was that during the holidays the Ticos love to party. There was a great local festival in town along with the Toro (bull) festival which is two blocks from the hotel. One word of caution, if you want peace and quiet dont pick a holiday weekend. The ticos party till early hours. The beach is filled with festivities and huge bond fires at night. A great cultural experience for my children

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ALCafepollo
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed 6 February 2011

I had the opportunity to stay at Mirador apartment hotel in Samara. Wish I had stayed more time there. The apartment is very spacious and would accommodate a family with kids, and has everything we need to feel at home, even used books. It has two entrance for the large terrace, one in the room and one in the living room. From the terrace, we have a perfect view of the ocean, and the walk is only 5 min to the beach. Why pay to eat out when you can buy fresh fish and cook it yourself and eat on the lovely terrace with good company, enjoying the magnific view and sounds of the area. I'm usually not a fan of pools when I have access to an ocean nearby, but a dip in the pool was very welcome after a few hours in the sun. Samara is a charming town that didn't loose the Costarican flavour over the touristic occupancy.

For me this Hotel is a little treasure, and would like to go back. I will definitively recommend it to my family and friends.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 16 January 2011

We stayed one night and could not leave fast enough the next morning. Not only were the accommodations marginal, but we had a nasty confrontation with our next door neighbor who would NOT turn down or off his music late at night. The manager refused to intervene when we somehow found him and asked for his help. The next day, the manager refused to use our VISA card and insisted on cash. There was not breakfast as advertised in Fodor. There was also barking dog short leashed right below our balcony that kept us awake when the the noisy neighbor wasn't playing his schlocky music. Give this place a wide birth. There are places right on the beach that nicer and less expensive.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fish20
prepayment, Manager at Mirador de Samara, responded to this review, 25 January 2011
The reviewer came about 9 pm to my apartment where I live close to the one he was lodging. He complained about music that produced his neighbor right next to him. His neighbor is a retired client from Canada who is coming to my place since 6 years all the time staying 2 - 3 months. I informed him about the problem and he promised to shut down the mucic at 10 pm what he actually did. His music equipment is a small laptop that he would bring each year, the kind of music he likes is classical jazz. Want to mention that during Dec. Jan. Feb. and also March this part of the hotel where the dispute happend is occupied by steady clients that use to come each year over 15 years and never would complain about the music behavier of their neighbor.
Next moring the reviewer checked out and again told me about the problem last day: He came back from the beach at 6 pm and in his apartment wanted to hear the waves of the ocean, so asked his neighbor to turn off the music. I understand that to me as the manager its my task to ashure that any hotel client has all the rights for a pleasent unspoiled peaceful stay, including to prevent the guests from beeing disturbed from any kind of noise. On the other hand I cannot prohibid a client to enjoy his personal music, unless he performs it in a moderat way and turns it off at normal sleeping time at 10 pm which he actually did.
The rest of the reviewers complains where just a consequence of his promise when he left saying that he is a tourist writer and will asure to spoil my buisiness.
It is true this very morning when he left I had no access to the electronical credit card system, a situation/problem that happens sometimes in Samara to all hotels.
About barking dogs: Any traveller visiting small beach villages will very soon find out about dogs walking around everywhere, more in cities or at home. So its no surprise to hear a barking dog even at night, I doubt he will find a dog free situation on the beach, as he is suggesting to travellers to go to.

Travellers are raving about these Playa Samara hotels

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 7 December 2010

We are back at this wonderful aparthotel in Samara – our favorite place in Costa Rica – for our seventh stay at the Mirador de Samara. The sun is shining, the water in the sheltered bay is warm, with sufficient waves for those who wish to learn to surf but a long beach that is safe, with no undertow. The place is perfect for singles, couples and families. The town of Samara is large enough to provide all the amenities a traveler needs (including a brand new Pali grocery store), banks, restaurants, tour options, snorkeling, kayaking, surf lessons, swimming in the ocean,long walks on the beach, etc, etc. We have explored many other locations in Costa Rica, but end up coming back here for our winter stay.

The Mirador de Samara is the best place to enjoy this town. Located in a large and private garden setting, on a hill overlooking the village and the ocean, it is high enough to have a grand view of the oceans and sunsets, and high enough to catch the ocean breezes in the evening- but only a five minute walk to one of the nicest beaches in Coast Rica. All the staff at the Mirador are friendly and helpful. Max , the owner, speaks German English and Spanish and freely provides information and advice on what to do in Samara. I love my early morning coffees on the deck of my apartment, my afternoon swim in the hotel pool and my late afternoon happy hour watching the sun set over a red ocean. We enjoy having the cooking facilities, (there are also hotel type rooms) but we also enjoy an occasional walk into the town to have dinner at one of the many good restaurants close by.

What not to like about Mirador de Samara!! Pura Vida!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 15 November 2010

3 weeks I stayed in this outstanding located hotel, after having just done an online reservation from the website. Every morning was struck by the breathtaking view from or huge balcony, watching/listening the wawes , seeing tides coming and going. All these tropical water birds ..pelicans, egrets, herons passing by the ocean, closer inthe garden of the hotel all day watching wood packers, parrots and many no idea what the names of them are.
Thanks to the remodeling, the staff told me, they did in August this year the hotel inside and outside looks great.
We had no car, only walking down to the reception and few min later we where on the beach. So advise anyone who might stay longer there, dont spend any money on renta car.
Thanks to the lovly staff who treated us like feeeling home...BE SHURE WE ARE BACK NEXT YEAR:
Jürgen and Karin