“Hotel Villas Playa Samara”

Hotel Villas Playa Samara
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Playa Samara
Burlington, Canada
“Hotel Villas Playa Samara”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I was looking for a quiet, relaxing getaway to Costa Rica and found it in this hotel and town. Upon arriving we were greeted with a couple of fresh daquiri's from Martin, an excellent bartender. We had booked a Garden Villa but were upgraded (I believe) to the Beach Front villa, literally the closest to the beach. My girlfriend was very impressed. We had the all-inclusive package, the food was excellent, we tried almost everything on the menu (except for the typcial american style foods which are no good for anyone). The service was excellent, especially Martin and Alex. We had one minor slipup with service at dinner one night but it was probably an honest mistake for missing our order. The town centre was about a 20-30 minute walk along the beach and it was great. Don't take a taxi there, walk and get some exercise, fight obesity and experience the world. Lots of excursions can be easily set up through the hotel, we chose to visit the info centre in town though. The staff in the hotel and town are incredibly kind, especially when you don't act like a d-bag or have a sense of entitlement. I've read other reviews of showers without hot water - there's a trick - turn the water on slightly so that the hot pipes aren't overrun with the cold pipes, use your brain. We put our valuables in our suitcase and didn't have any issue with leaving it for 7 days. I left my shoes outside for 4 days, no problems. I would definitely recommend this place for a tranquil, relaxing setting. Do your homework to get a feel for the location, it's not an amusement park. It's pura vida. The only negatives I can think of are the beds a great, but squeeky- I'm a light sleeper, and the one tiny slip-up with dinner which was rectified quickly and excellent service was restored (I gave 4 stars instead of 5).
Be kind.

Room Tip: Treat people with respect. You'll be amazed what you get back.
2 Thank sensiblehuman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Yorba Linda, California
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We were staying here via a Monkey Tours adventure. The last three nights were at this hotel. First and foremost we had no hot water. They attempted to fix the hot water for 3 days while not putting us in another room even though the place had vacancies. The employees were rude when we tried to get this fixed. Thank goodness we were there with a tour and could borrow others room to shower. On our last day our sandals were stolen from the porch as well. When we confronted the front desk to ask about them, they said "they would look for them". that night after dinner they showed back up on our porch. I have stayed at nicer Motel 6's, seriously. We were not the only ones in our group with issues either. I would never return.

Room Tip: Honestly I would stay at a different hotel.
2 Thank TEE995

Travellers are raving about these Playa Samara hotels

Bozeman
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We booked a 3 night stay on groupon. At the least they were misleading about the accomodations. We thought we would be getting a room and a small kitchenette, upon arrival we found out it was only a room in a villa and there was another family in the other part of the villa so we could only access our room from the porch, and the key didn't work in that door so we couldn't even lock our things when we left. We arrived here around 430 after driving from arenal. The room wasn't ready, and it took us over and hour to check in. Their reservation office is in san Jose and the didn't have any information on our groupon reservation at the front desk and we had to do some relatively annoying emailing back and forth before they would even give us the key. The room was nice, and the right on the beach.

As for the beach, it is ok, it's pretty silty this time of year, not the white sandy beach we were expecting. The water is warm, but the only time you'll want to go in the water is at high tide. If you have a car, go to the town beach which is nicer, but a lot more people. The pool is very nice and the wet bar is great but the service is only mediocre. Everything at the hotel has a 25% service charge added to it, so beware.

Town is great, excellent restaurants and fun beach atmosphere. If you want to rent a surfboard or take lessons, schedule them through a surf shop in town, not though the hotel.

All in all, the accommodations were nice, the service is reprehensible and overpriced. The town is great. We would come back to Samara but we wouldn't stay here.

Room Tip: Beware! The Groupon deal is highly misleading, it is only a room. No kitchen or any of the other acc...
4 Thank Zachary M
San Rafael, Alajuela, Costa Rica
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Overall the hotel is really good. If you are looking for relax and getaway this is the perfect choice. No TV's, phones or electronics in the rooms. Food is delicious and staff is helpful and kind. It is really convenient the fact of having the beach in front of the property.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fabiola V
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 August 2013

My family and I purchased a Groupon for a stay at Hotel Villas Playa Samara and then paid for an upgrade to a villa. The villa was nice enough, but we were supposed to be getting a great deal--the accommodations were just adequate for nearly $300 per night. When we got there the first night, the cots we had paid for for our kids were not there, and though the cots finally arrived, bedding for the old cot mattresses never arrived--so we had to sleep four to a bed! For the first two days housekeeping never arrived and we had to call to get it on the third day. Service at the restaurant was poor and the food was barely mediocre. To top it off, we were not let out of the gate on our way out because the staff had found a few unwashed cups and plates in the sink and wanted to charge us $30 for cleaning fees. In sum, the poor service took much of the pleasure out of our vacation. The location is great and the pool nice--but my family and I would not go back.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Roseville, California
Reviewed 7 August 2013

The hotel itself is very nice, we arrived at 730pm from a great 4 day guided tour, no water in the rooms! at least 25 people without water, when we got the water back there was no hot water. I can live through it no problem, go to the restaurant order drinks first: margarita and house red wine, receive 30 minutes later a pizza margarita with an ice cold red wine?? Order a coffee finally got it after 45 minutes and 3 waiters later! Did I mention that I speak Spanish? Then at 132 AM yes AM, a full blown fireworks display for a wedding group staying at the hotel. It lasted at least 40 min, very nice, but why don't you tell the other guests about it so we can prepare. Next day, go to the swim up bar at 930am, not open ?? I ask at what time: 11am, ok no problem the group waits, 11 comes around no waiter. I ask again, now the answer is noon!! I go to the reception for a manager, no manager... find another staff member, tell him in Spanish that I'm upset, he answers he will open it, I ask when he says now... so it takes him another 15 min, unlocks the coolers, forgets something goes back to the desk then back to swim up bar then check this out.... he starts serving people on the other side (dry side) who just showed up! What can I do but laugh now, but at the time I thought about flooding his little bar. This type of service went on for the next 3 days: the towels for the pool, running out of food, waiting 45 minutes for a drink, etc etc etc. Customers were checking out of the hotel to book somewhere else. I never have written a complaint letter or a review for anything, but this time I had to, do not book at this hotel as you will be very disappointed and upset. It was rated 13 out of 16 local hotels, after this experience which was this first week of August, I would rate it 17 out of 16.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I had a great vacation time in this hotel, the rooms are very comfortable and everything is clean. Unfortunately I got sick very early in my stayed but the people in the hotel treated me like at home, they gave me tea and anything I needed to recover. The food pricing is very good, not at all expensive. The hotel is very convenient, we only had to give 10 steps and ready at the beach, 10 steps back and ready at the wet bar in a nice pool. Fully recommend to stay here, the best hotel in Samara.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
#11 of 16 in Playa Samara
Nammbu Beachfront Bungalows
Nammbu Beachfront Bungalows
#4 of 7 in Playa Carrillo

Been to Hotel Villas Playa Samara? Share your experiences!