“This is PARADISE Are all you Complainers Kidding?” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Villas Playa Samara

Hotel Villas Playa Samara
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Playa Samara
Atlanta, Georgia
“This is PARADISE Are all you Complainers Kidding?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

I cannot believe people writing negative reviews of this place? Bugs...were vacationing in the middle of Rain Forests and the Tropics REALLY? And the no where in the world can you even stay on the beach for this price.

I read reviews before and now after my second trip there.

I just cannot believe what people complain about, the customer service is fabulous, the villas are beautiful, the location is breathtaking and we are lucky to be able to visit such paradise.

If you want a place that is sterile stay home or go to a huge hotel on a busy beach.

But for me I take quiet paradise over that any day - wild horses running on the beach, sunsets to die for and a place run - hands on by the sweetest husband and wife.

Stop your complaining those of you that wrote such idiotic mischief....you are better off staying away from all my friends who visit and me...we don't need any grumpy people to ruin our perfect hideaway.

My recommendation - if you love life come here...if you like to complain and are not a happy person - STAY AWAY - anywhere you go you will find life the same as you left it. Don't expect a Villa to change the way you look at life.

We have bragged about this to several friends who have gone and come back with such a thrill in their hearts...I am not sending anyone somewhere they might be disappointed.

In LOVE with this place - been to Greece, Europe, Egypt many places around the world and this is my favorite.

Very Sincerely,
Kellie Acosta

Room Tip: Come with a smile in your heart ;-)
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank KellieAcosta
Faride C, Director Comercial at Hotel Villas Playa Samara, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Kellie,

Greetings from Villas Playa Samara.

We are very grateful for your positive comment and are very happy you had such a great time with us once again. Thank you very much and we hope this will not be your last visit.

Best regards and to the pleasure of having you amongst us once again,

Villas Playa Samara

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stayed here for the last few days of our monkey tours trip. We upgraded to the beach villas. When we arrived, it looked gorgeous! We had a warm welcoming by the Monkey Tours staff upon arrival. Our villa was a little disappointing. There were bugs everywhere because the windows/doors were not sealed completely. We ended up spraying bug spray and putting towels on the windows to keep the bugs out (didn't work). I went the whole trip with only a few bug bites until we came to this resort. We found bugs in/around/under our bed. I figured the bites came from bugs inside the villas because I woke up with several bites on the right side of my body and I sleep on my left side. I left the resort with 30+ bites. The bed was ok. Nothing more, nothing less. The air conditioner worked until the last night. It is a single wall unit in the bedroom. We had one of the staff members come in and try to fix it and he had no idea what he was doing. He just kept clicking the buttons on the remote controller. On the brighter side, the location of the villa was amazing. There was a nice hammock on the patio which was really relaxing to lay on. The upgrade from the normal rooms was not worth it unless you plan on cooking your own food. The rest of the resort was beautiful. The beach is nice and clean, the pool area was well kept, there is a store on campus that has water and other things…. but not much. The bar was small and the prices are inconsistent. The restaurant area was nice. There are iguanas and squirrels running around during the day and frogs, crabs, and bugs running around at night. The food was overpriced but good, however, the service was pretty bad. One server in particular was absolutely terrible. Her name was Melania or Melanie. She was very rude to all of the guests. Many of the people in our group were complaining about her. Almost every time we ordered something, she gave us attitude. She rolled her eyes at us a few times and it's not because we were asking for anything out of the ordinary. I hate to say it, but if it weren't for tourists, she wouldn't have that job. She was the only person that was sour/salty/bitter at that resort. One time, I ordered nachos and she brought out a plate of chips, ground meat, and two slices of american cheese melted on top. I took a bite and the meet was ice cold. We called her over and told her that the food was cold and that we did not want it. She said she will re-cook it. We told her we didn't want the Nachos anymore. She kept insisting to re-cook it. At this point we were very frustrated with her. At first, we thought she just could not understand us but then we saw her walking away and laughing with another staff member. She grabbed a cup and looked at us saying "you want?" while laughing. She was mocking us. She seemed to be pretending that she couldn't understand us. She then told us that we had to pay for the cold nachos. We got up and walked to the front desk and as we got there the server called the front desk and thankfully, the front desk told her that we did not have to pay for the nachos. For the rest of the trip, we went into town to eat because we did not want to deal with Melania. It was by far the worst service I have ever experienced. If I knew that this lady was working their still, I would never return. Sounds dramatic but it was terrible because that restaurant was the most convenient place to eat. The hotel staff sucked, the monkey tours staff was amazing. They were always very helpful. We went on a fishing trip through monkey tours and if you are an experienced fisherman…. Don't go. I paid for a full day and cut it short. The captain and the deckhand did not have the best gear. They were actually using their hands and lines to fish and we used gear equipped for tuna/mahi/wahoo to fish for red snapper….. You had to guess if you had a fish on or not. Pay the extra buck for an experienced sports fishing team… Probably hard to find there. At least talk to the captain before you go. If it weren't for the monkey tours staff, the stay there would have been a 1 1/2 out of 5.

Room Tip: Dont upgrade to the beach villa…. Not worth it.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kstearns24
Greetings from Villas Playa Samara.

We appreciate your comment and for us your opinion is very important. We have been working hard on maintenance, facilities and have been working with our staff to improve our response time with the clients.
Costa Rica is a tropical country and unfortunately we cannot control the amount of bugs that surround us.

We hope you still enjoyed our location and your trip to Costa Rica.

Best regards,

Villas Playa Samara
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed here for the last portion of the Monkey Tours trip. I definitely had my expectations set lower than normal after reading reviews prior to arriving. From the outside, this resort is beautiful I loved the location and despite other reviews, the beach and the ocean was perfect. We paid for an upgraded villa and I really wish I hadn't. From the get-go, we had problems with our room. The location was great, but the villa was completely run-down and desperately needed a facelift. Upon arrival, the AC (located only in the bedroom) was broken, the vertical blinds in the bedroom would not close and there were bugs all over the kitchen and bathroom counters. I went to the front desk and asked to be moved. I was told that they had no availability - either in another villa or the regular rooms. They came to fix the blinds and the AC (it still wasn't powerful enough to cool the entire villa), but did nothing about the bugs. I eventually used our own bug spray to kill them and kept spraying during our stay to keep them out. The housekeeping is a joke. The dead bugs were never cleaned off the counters despite numerous requests. I ended up cleaning myself. There was a dead half-eaten iguana just off our porch near the hammock that I repeatedly asked for the staff to pick up, and I strongly suspect it is still there. We hung out in other tour guests' rooms and they all had terrific, updated rooms, so I think it's just hit and miss - I'm wondering if the villas are privately owned and rented through the hotel because they all had vastly different décor and were in various states of renovation (or none at all, like the one I got). I asked for a refund of the upgrade I paid and was told I would have to deal with Monkey Tours since it was paid to them directly. Customer service at this hotel sucks, and that's being nice. Everyone else is right - don't waste your money on the food here either - it's not worth it. Go into town and enjoy! Despite all of this, we still had a great time. We loved watching the horses, dogs, squirrels, and iguanas all over the property. The beach had a terrific view of the sunset and if you walk down the beach away from town, it's a treasure-trove of awesome seashells. The water is really warm and the beach was well-maintained and clean. If you're part of Monkey Tours (I suspect they own this hotel), you're stuck with this hotel, but it's such a great tour otherwise, that I wouldn't let the reviews of this hotel alone be your deciding factor. If you're not part of Monkey Tours, I would definitely find another place to stay in Samara.

Room Tip: Not worth the money to pay for a villa.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jules13Co
CustomerSVPS, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Villas Playa Samara, responded to this review, 1 November 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

We are sincerely sorry to hear that you had a less than favorable experience with us. I have already shared your comments with our management team so we can prevent this in near the future.

We truly believe in providing excellent service, and I really hope to invite you back in the near future so we can show you our hospitality.

We hope you will consider staying with us again.

Best regards

Guest Services Hotel Villas Playa Samara

Travellers are raving about these Playa Samara hotels

Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

We did this hotel as part of Monkey tours. I had read the reviews and was very apprehensive about what we would find. We got a room right on the beach. It was a basic room with just a bed and two night stands. The bathroom is not up to American standards, but I think they are slowly renovating. We heard that the back rooms have a modern bathroom, fridge, microwave. Our room had none of that, but our porch had a table, chairs, hammock and a view of the beach!! We loved it; I wouldn't have traded rooms. I thought it was the best place we stayed on our tour. Also, the Mahi-Mahi I had at the restaurant was the best food I had in Costa Rica, and the fajitas were very good. Either things have changed or I don't have the same standards as other people, but my wife and I loved our time there. The only reason this is not a 5 is because they do need to still work on those bathrooms.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PaulGPennsylvania
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback!

We appreciate your kind review. I am delighted to hear that you had an exceptional stay with us. It was such pleasure to have you and your wife as our guests and we really look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

We are currently under renovations, we invite to come and get to experience our fully renewed villas with all the amenities.

Guest Services Hotel Villas Playa Samara
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here during our Monkey Tours Costa Rica & Nicaragua tour. We arrived around 8pm and were greeted with delicious fruit juice and friendly staff. We paid for an upgrade of our room to have a view of the ocean. When we got inside our villa we were incredibly disappointed. There was sticky pink stuff on the inside and outside of the fridge which had attracted a bunch of aunts. Even though this was uncomfortable, we wouldn't be spending much of our time in the main living area anyway. The blinds on the bedroom were filthy with black marks, and some with pieces torn out of them. We set our stuff down, left for dinner in town, came back and realized there was a trail of ants all over the bedroom floor. I could literally see pieces of food and other objects moving across the floor as the ants carried things in and out. Took a shower, and the drain clogged so the water was to the very top of the ledge, about to spill over onto the entire bathroom floor. I had it at this point, but we were so exhausted we figured we'd just wait until the morning. We had asked for a spare pillow, that had been delivered while we were out at dinner, tossed onto a stained throw at the end of the bed. When I went to turn the pillowcase inside out a huge black bug flew out onto the floor. Then I started inspecting the other pillows on the bed and there were ANTS IN THE PILLOWCASES! We went to the front desk asking for a room change, but there was no one at the front desk to assist us, they were gone for the night. We saw a security guard by the pool and asked him, since he didn't speak English he called a manager who talked to my husband over the phone. They advised the security guard to let us into another room that was right behind the pool. This villa didn't have a king bed, but at this point we just wanted a clean room to sleep in. After we inspected the bedding - no bugs - very clean, we unpacked a bit and realized there was no working AC...luckily there was a ceiling fan and another stand up fan that we blew on us all night. High 90s in April in Costa Rica + no AC = sticky night with not much sleep.

The next morning after breakfast, we tell a concierge about our night. Her response was "I was expecting you. Everyone knows that room has no working AC, except for the security guard". She proceeded to show us 2 other villas...one right on the beach with a beautiful view that looked like it hadn't been cleaned in (I kid you not) weeks. There was a pull out bed with dirty sheets in the living room, a ton of dead bugs along the perimeter of the main living area, and at least 6 dead flying ants in the shower. As our goal was finding a clean place, we declined this villa regardless of the view. The next place we viewed had 2 bedrooms, one with a king and bathroom attached...the other with a double and a single bed with a bathroom outside of the room. She told us we could have the villa but she'd have to lock the bedroom with a king because we didn't pay for a villa with 2 bedrooms. We stated we also didn't pay to move rooms around midnight or sleep without AC, so she said she would talk with someone to see what she could do. Besides this villa with the ocean view, there were no other villas with an ocean view available with a king size bed. About 20 mins later, her answer was no because a family of 7 was coming in that very night to have the villa. I asked how a family of 7 would sleep in there and said "I hope you're not lying to me just because you don't want us to have this villa". Upon saying that she said "It's just too big for 2 people, you didn't pay for it". I asked who was in charge of making the decisions since the manager and owner were not on site. She said she was and eventually after a few more adamant expressions, we were given the villa with the 2 bedrooms. Everything seemed to finally be in place so that we could relax. We set some of our souvenir purchases on the counter and a wooden shelf and realized they became covered with what looked like baby termites. The rest of the place was clean from what we could see. That evening, coming back before we went out to dinner, we were greeted with a dead bat on the doorstep and a live bat flying around our villa. We went to the front desk asking if someone could take care of that while we were gone and immediately the one concierge became upset that we were in the entire villa and said "that wasn't supposed to happen. you can't have the whole place". In which I said "I'm not here to talk to you about this...I would just like the dead and live bats removed". We came back to every single light on in our villa, the dead bat still on the door step, and the concierge saying there was no live bat in the place. The next night, same thing, bat flying at our heads any time we walked into the main area of the villa - thank goodness it wasn't in our bedroom! Instead of asking for someone to get rid of it, since that hadn't done anything the prior night, we would just crouch down and run for the door every time we left or got back at night. For the last 2 nights there (we were only there for 3), we were either outside, away from the resort, or in our bedroom/bathroom because of our terrible experiences in the rest of the villa.

In addition, I got diarrhea from the water at the resort, even though 3 different staff told me it was potable. I drank bottled water and avoided ice everywhere else, so I know it was from this place. - take caution.

The beach was NOT something to visit. There was debris, including logs, rocks, stones, junk on the beach - we didn't even want to swim in the water because you couldn't see your feet when you went in up to your knees. The lounge chairs by the beach are dirty and in the grass with high grass growing around them. We walked to the town of Samara during high tide and at some places were were treading across almost waist deep water that connected to a swamp like area - I literally thought there could be crocodiles floating back there. Another member from our group saw a dead porcupine and someone else saw a syringe laying on the beach. After that we took a cab which is $6 each way into town to avoid the 45 minute walk through rocks to get to a place to eat outside of our resort.

We thought this would be the most relaxing part of our trip as every other day was packed full of activities, but instead we couldn't wait to go home and it really but a bad ending to our time in Costa Rica.

The pool was the only nice thing about this place - my husband and I pretty much spent 2 days hanging out by the pool, the one place we could relax.

There are plenty of other beaches to go to in Costa Rica - Samara is not one of them.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank joyfultraveler87
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

We rented a beachfront villa in Hotel Villas Playa Samara. It was really awesome. It is beautiful villas in the nature, kind of a beautiful jungle well maintained with luxury villas. We had a good time and we were 2 steps ahead of the beach, kayak tours, and snorkling. It was possible to book volcano tours from the hotel, which we did and was great.

We also did some surf lessons. I was bad but I had good time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Yann B
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

Don't be scared away by the negative reviews! My boyfriend and I stayed here as our last hotel in our Monkey Tours package and quite enjoyed this gorgeous resort, its location, breakfast and friendly staff. When we got to our room, there were some ants on the floor, but once we killed them and turned the A/C on, we never had any more insects inside the room over the next 3 days. Our room was simple and modest, but was clean and comfortable. There was no phone in any of the rooms, but it was kind of fun having to walk to our friends rooms to communicate the old fashioned way. The bathroom looked newly renovated and was quite spacious. It would have been nice to have a curtain for the bathroom window or a shower curtain for the open concept/glass shower for some modesty, but we never noticed anyone peeking in haha. Most of the time the shower and tap water was luke warm, on the cooler side.. but it was refreshing and invigorating after being out in the humidity. The resort grounds were BEAUTIFUL and it was fun to walk around the resort and look around. It really felt like a tropical paradise. Adorable squirrels and iguanas were everywhere too! And we saw large toads, tree frogs and bats at night. The pool was quite large and the water was warm. It was great being so close to the beach, and one day we walked 2 miles (around 45 mins each way at a slow pace) along the beach into the town of Samara for lunch and dinner. Taxi ride to/from town is usually $6. We actually swam to the nearby island as well (without guides), just be careful of the shoreline rocks and be sure to go at low tide around 10am if you do this. The hotel staff were all very friendly and polite, and the manager Oscar was always very helpful. The Monkey Tours staff were also available in the reception area to book additional tours.

Overall great experience with this hotel.

Room Tip: Our friend's beach view villa was gorgeous inside, but the A/C unit is in the bedroom which leav...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
#10 of 16 in Playa Samara
Nammbu Beachfront Bungalows
Nammbu Beachfront Bungalows
#4 of 8 in Playa Carrillo

Been to Hotel Villas Playa Samara? Share your experiences!