“Wonderful Setting”

Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Playa Samara
Trinity, North Carolina
“Wonderful Setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Boyfriend and I spent a week here and loved it. The location is perfect with pretty views. Everyone we meet on the property and in town was very nice. Loved the pool and it was always clean. Our room was nice and big but only got clean towels once. No TV in the room but had so much fun hanging out by the pool/beach it didnt matter. If you walk into town make sure to go at low tide since the water comes up to the rocks. The surfing is amazing, tried surfing for the first time with teacher from the resort and he was wonderful on teaching and stood up the first try. Also did the waterfall tour booked though the resort and it was amazing it included lunch. It was a short nature walk to the waterfall where you then get to jump off it. The food was great and the drinks were always nice. Only one person working at the bar so it takes about 30 mintues to wait on a drink. Since town is a 30 mintue walk and the bar at the resort closing at 10 it does get boring at night. There is free wifi everywhere even laying out on the beach you pick up the resorts signal.

Room Tip: Ocean View
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kirstin F
CustomerSVPS, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Villas Playa Samara, responded to this review, 1 November 2014
Thank you very much for the feedback!

We have taken into consideration our guests experiences to offer you a better experience each time you come back.

We truly appreciate your opinion and hope to have you visiting us soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Bonn, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

We, a family of three, stayed here for three nights in one of the ocean view villas with two bedrooms. The resort is very nice and well kept, the beach is beautiful, the villas spacious and nicely decorated. So all in all, we can recommend to stay here if you are looking for something a bit luxurious. However, the service was not what can be expected in this category. We had to ask three times before enough towels were supplied, on the first day only of two bedrooms was cleaned. A true lowlight was the checkout, when the lady at the counter seriously demanded that I deliver the beach towels back to the counter, even though I had never been told to do this. So she had to program a room card, I had to go back to the villa and fetch the towels. Well, well....In addition, we had to transport our luggage ourselves (no problem, but unusual for a 4 star resort) and the pool water was not exactly clear. So, in spite of an overall recommendation, there are some action points for the management of this resort.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Soeren D
Faride C, Director Comercial at Hotel Villas Playa Samara, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Soeren,

Grettings from Villas Playa Samara.

Thank you for you comment, your opinion is very important to us.
We are working hard and have changed some staff, renewed installations and upgraded our service quality. However we hope that your stay was pleasant.

Best regards and to the pleasure of having you once again amongst us in a near future.

Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

My wife and I had booked a what we thought was ocean front home in playa langonsta for 7 days but found it to be a big let down so after only 3 days we decided to head south and found this small resort,after reading all the bad,yes bad reviews we decided to check in anyways,either you negative nannies set your expectations too high or just like to complain but this place is awesome,staff is very friendly and most speak some English,the service is good but yes slow,the food was fantastic,yes maybe not fine dining but they try,the breakfast buffet was good but minimal,the beach is clean,has a little of good for swimming or even surfing,the views are spectacular the villas or ours was clean neat and had everything we needed,no TV's in any villas as of now,the drink selection was fine,minimal but good,my only complaint would be to have a bar open till 1am for us people who paid the all inclusive price and liked to sit up and yak with the new friends made,we paid less for this 3 day all inclusive here then we did per night for just a top of the house rental, having to buy our own food and drink , I would reccomend this resort to anyone,the pool area is great for kids and the beach for anyone,you can walk 25 minutes down the beach to Town if that is what you like,bring bug spray if you are a loved by biting insect favourite like me,we enjoyed our stay ,buy hey come check it for yourself,chow

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank daniel f
Faride C, Director General at Hotel Villas Playa Samara, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Daniel,

We appreciate the time you have taken in writting this review. Thank you for cataloguing us as awesome, we are making our best to improve day by day.
We are glad you were able to enjoy the all inclusive in our resort and in regards to the close up time we can take into account your request for a near future.

We make our best to provide the best in pricing and we were glad you got a great deal.

It would be great to have you back with us in the future. We wish you the best of lucks from Playa Samara, Costa Rica!

Thank you for your time and for choosing us!
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

My kids and I went on the Costa Rica Monkey Tour Adventure. This was our last stop and we were looking forward to a nice beachfront resort experience. This place was absolutely horrible. The evening we arrived it was pouring rain. We turned on the TV only to find it did not work. It was raining so hard we could not even leave the room. There are no phones or clocks in the rooms either. The room was very basic-2 beds, a nightstand, lamp, microwave, refrigerator and a safe in addition to the non-working TV. I went to the front desk the next day to ask for a different room as our room also overlooked the maintenence area of the resort as well as the non-functioning TV. The young ladies at the front desk told me " We just got new TV service. Some TV's work and some don't. Do you want to upgrade?" I asked for something with a better view other than the maintenence area and was told I had to "Upgrade." I then asked for someone to come and check the TV and she again told me "Some work and some don't" I have 2 teenagers who after a long day at the beach and pool who would like to watch TV as there is not much else to do at this place at night. Later that day when the day staff left I asked a young man if he could send someone to my room to check the TV as our neighbor in the next room said their TV just started to work . a man came to the room and just tightened the cables (I already tried that). Said he would be right back and never returned. To ask anything of the front desk staff is futile-they make you feel as though you are bothering them. The waitstaff however, was outstanding. the young men working there were extremely attentive as were the bartenders. the beach was pristine as well. the only good thin I can say about the room was the airconditioning worked well and I enjoyed sitting out on theporch watching the iguanas in the trees. overall the grounds were kept clean but walking around the property I could see many Villas that were in shambles and some appeared abandoned. I would never recommend this resort to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor unit in the front.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Karen F
Dear Karen,

We appreciate the time you have taken in writting this review. Im truly sorry about the issue you had with the TV's. We have been working for along with the cable company to provide cable TV. We are sorry that at the moment you were here we still didn't have the service up and running.
In regards to better views, the Ocean View villas are provided for an upgrade cost, standard rooms don't have an ocean view in this case.
We are glad you were satisfied with the restaurant, our staff makes their best to provide the best service possible.
We do have great grounds and are beachfront, in regards to the abandoned villas, these are villas owned by others that haven't received maintenance since the earthquake affected us.

It would be a pleasure to have you with us in the near future, we will make sure you have a better experience with us!

Travellers are raving about these Playa Samara hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

I cannot believe people writing negative reviews of this place? Bugs...were vacationing in the middle of Rain Forests and the Tropics REALLY? And the no where in the world can you even stay on the beach for this price.

I read reviews before and now after my second trip there.

I just cannot believe what people complain about, the customer service is fabulous, the villas are beautiful, the location is breathtaking and we are lucky to be able to visit such paradise.

If you want a place that is sterile stay home or go to a huge hotel on a busy beach.

But for me I take quiet paradise over that any day - wild horses running on the beach, sunsets to die for and a place run - hands on by the sweetest husband and wife.

Stop your complaining those of you that wrote such idiotic mischief....you are better off staying away from all my friends who visit and me...we don't need any grumpy people to ruin our perfect hideaway.

My recommendation - if you love life come here...if you like to complain and are not a happy person - STAY AWAY - anywhere you go you will find life the same as you left it. Don't expect a Villa to change the way you look at life.

We have bragged about this to several friends who have gone and come back with such a thrill in their hearts...I am not sending anyone somewhere they might be disappointed.

In LOVE with this place - been to Greece, Europe, Egypt many places around the world and this is my favorite.

Very Sincerely,
Kellie Acosta

Room Tip: Come with a smile in your heart ;-)
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank KellieAcosta
Dear Kellie,

Greetings from Villas Playa Samara.

We are very grateful for your positive comment and are very happy you had such a great time with us once again. Thank you very much and we hope this will not be your last visit.

Best regards and to the pleasure of having you amongst us once again,

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stayed here for the last few days of our monkey tours trip. We upgraded to the beach villas. When we arrived, it looked gorgeous! We had a warm welcoming by the Monkey Tours staff upon arrival. Our villa was a little disappointing. There were bugs everywhere because the windows/doors were not sealed completely. We ended up spraying bug spray and putting towels on the windows to keep the bugs out (didn't work). I went the whole trip with only a few bug bites until we came to this resort. We found bugs in/around/under our bed. I figured the bites came from bugs inside the villas because I woke up with several bites on the right side of my body and I sleep on my left side. I left the resort with 30+ bites. The bed was ok. Nothing more, nothing less. The air conditioner worked until the last night. It is a single wall unit in the bedroom. We had one of the staff members come in and try to fix it and he had no idea what he was doing. He just kept clicking the buttons on the remote controller. On the brighter side, the location of the villa was amazing. There was a nice hammock on the patio which was really relaxing to lay on. The upgrade from the normal rooms was not worth it unless you plan on cooking your own food. The rest of the resort was beautiful. The beach is nice and clean, the pool area was well kept, there is a store on campus that has water and other things…. but not much. The bar was small and the prices are inconsistent. The restaurant area was nice. There are iguanas and squirrels running around during the day and frogs, crabs, and bugs running around at night. The food was overpriced but good, however, the service was pretty bad. One server in particular was absolutely terrible. Her name was Melania or Melanie. She was very rude to all of the guests. Many of the people in our group were complaining about her. Almost every time we ordered something, she gave us attitude. She rolled her eyes at us a few times and it's not because we were asking for anything out of the ordinary. I hate to say it, but if it weren't for tourists, she wouldn't have that job. She was the only person that was sour/salty/bitter at that resort. One time, I ordered nachos and she brought out a plate of chips, ground meat, and two slices of american cheese melted on top. I took a bite and the meet was ice cold. We called her over and told her that the food was cold and that we did not want it. She said she will re-cook it. We told her we didn't want the Nachos anymore. She kept insisting to re-cook it. At this point we were very frustrated with her. At first, we thought she just could not understand us but then we saw her walking away and laughing with another staff member. She grabbed a cup and looked at us saying "you want?" while laughing. She was mocking us. She seemed to be pretending that she couldn't understand us. She then told us that we had to pay for the cold nachos. We got up and walked to the front desk and as we got there the server called the front desk and thankfully, the front desk told her that we did not have to pay for the nachos. For the rest of the trip, we went into town to eat because we did not want to deal with Melania. It was by far the worst service I have ever experienced. If I knew that this lady was working their still, I would never return. Sounds dramatic but it was terrible because that restaurant was the most convenient place to eat. The hotel staff sucked, the monkey tours staff was amazing. They were always very helpful. We went on a fishing trip through monkey tours and if you are an experienced fisherman…. Don't go. I paid for a full day and cut it short. The captain and the deckhand did not have the best gear. They were actually using their hands and lines to fish and we used gear equipped for tuna/mahi/wahoo to fish for red snapper….. You had to guess if you had a fish on or not. Pay the extra buck for an experienced sports fishing team… Probably hard to find there. At least talk to the captain before you go. If it weren't for the monkey tours staff, the stay there would have been a 1 1/2 out of 5.

Room Tip: Dont upgrade to the beach villa…. Not worth it.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kstearns24
Greetings from Villas Playa Samara.

We appreciate your comment and for us your opinion is very important. We have been working hard on maintenance, facilities and have been working with our staff to improve our response time with the clients.
Costa Rica is a tropical country and unfortunately we cannot control the amount of bugs that surround us.

We hope you still enjoyed our location and your trip to Costa Rica.

Best regards,

Highlands Ranch, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed here for the last portion of the Monkey Tours trip. I definitely had my expectations set lower than normal after reading reviews prior to arriving. From the outside, this resort is beautiful I loved the location and despite other reviews, the beach and the ocean was perfect. We paid for an upgraded villa and I really wish I hadn't. From the get-go, we had problems with our room. The location was great, but the villa was completely run-down and desperately needed a facelift. Upon arrival, the AC (located only in the bedroom) was broken, the vertical blinds in the bedroom would not close and there were bugs all over the kitchen and bathroom counters. I went to the front desk and asked to be moved. I was told that they had no availability - either in another villa or the regular rooms. They came to fix the blinds and the AC (it still wasn't powerful enough to cool the entire villa), but did nothing about the bugs. I eventually used our own bug spray to kill them and kept spraying during our stay to keep them out. The housekeeping is a joke. The dead bugs were never cleaned off the counters despite numerous requests. I ended up cleaning myself. There was a dead half-eaten iguana just off our porch near the hammock that I repeatedly asked for the staff to pick up, and I strongly suspect it is still there. We hung out in other tour guests' rooms and they all had terrific, updated rooms, so I think it's just hit and miss - I'm wondering if the villas are privately owned and rented through the hotel because they all had vastly different décor and were in various states of renovation (or none at all, like the one I got). I asked for a refund of the upgrade I paid and was told I would have to deal with Monkey Tours since it was paid to them directly. Customer service at this hotel sucks, and that's being nice. Everyone else is right - don't waste your money on the food here either - it's not worth it. Go into town and enjoy! Despite all of this, we still had a great time. We loved watching the horses, dogs, squirrels, and iguanas all over the property. The beach had a terrific view of the sunset and if you walk down the beach away from town, it's a treasure-trove of awesome seashells. The water is really warm and the beach was well-maintained and clean. If you're part of Monkey Tours (I suspect they own this hotel), you're stuck with this hotel, but it's such a great tour otherwise, that I wouldn't let the reviews of this hotel alone be your deciding factor. If you're not part of Monkey Tours, I would definitely find another place to stay in Samara.

Room Tip: Not worth the money to pay for a villa.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jules13Co
CustomerSVPS, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Villas Playa Samara, responded to this review, 1 November 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

We are sincerely sorry to hear that you had a less than favorable experience with us. I have already shared your comments with our management team so we can prevent this in near the future.

We truly believe in providing excellent service, and I really hope to invite you back in the near future so we can show you our hospitality.

We hope you will consider staying with us again.

Best regards

#10 of 16 in Playa Samara
Nammbu Beachfront Bungalows
Nammbu Beachfront Bungalows
#4 of 8 in Playa Carrillo

Been to Hotel Villas Playa Samara? Share your experiences!