Montelaguna Boutique Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Hotel Sol Samara(Playa Samara)
Hotel Guanamar(Playa Carrillo)
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Esperanza(Playa Carrillo)
View Hotel
Rancho De La Playa(Playa Samara)
View Hotel
All reviewspool areacarrillo beachgreat boutiquebeautiful small hotellocal fishtriple roomcosta ricarelaxing daysmin walkthe breakfast areasized bedthe owneryogurtenjoyed our stayour night stayrice and beansthree weeks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The hotel is an old villa that was extended. The rooms annd pool look modern with nice wood.

The hotel is about 10min walking distance from the beach itself but about 30min walk from the nice part of the Samara with some restaurants and surfing school, and the town itself. Therefore car must be always used anyway. It is about the same to go to another, more quiet beach.

The hotel breakfast is average and we could not eat in the hotel at this time of the year in the evenings as the cook / owner was here.

At least our room 10 was only accessible through the breakfast room, which is quite noisy in the morning. Also the safe, the door and the shower did not work when we arrived, some of it was partially fixed or had workarounds. The AC was not on when we arrived in the 40C hot room and the it was very weak that it took hours to cool down the 2nd room.

Overall ok stay, not more not less.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Bernd B
Reviewed 28 June 2014

You can read my February 24, 2014 review below as reference. I came back here in June with two friends and we had another great visit. Gianmario and Giorgia took great care of us. If you are planning to be in the Samara - Carrillo - Nosara area you need to consider staying here. The grounds are beautiful and the hotel is very secure. We saw lots of birds this time and across the road a group of Howler monkeys came by. Staff was great too!

Room Tip: We had the suite with a loft for three of us and loved it!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I stayed here in late May for a friends wedding. The hotel was very nice and the staff was outstanding. Our room was clean, cool, and comfortable, we stayed in a room with a king bed. We were there for a wedding, so our experience was definitely not typical.

It's a great location as it's s short drive to the restaraunts in Samara and a slightly longer driver to Playa Carillo. If you're looking for a unique and home like experience while vacationing in Guanacaste, this is your place.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Scott L
montelaguna, Owner at Montelaguna Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Hello Scott,
thank you for taking the time to write a review. It was great meeting you and your wife. If you ever want to come back and experience a "typical" day at Montelaguna, well be here waiting for you!
Take care
Giorgia and Gianmario

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I found this property to be clean and the beds comfortable. I'm not sure what room one of the previous viewers stayed in but there was no TV in our room nor any of the 5 rooms we had friends staying in. The person at the desk told me that it was because the satellite company was taking their time coming out to install. The TV was not a big deal but what I did take note of was that there were no shampoos, lotion etc in the room. Just some hand soap. No phone in the room so if you needed anything you had to walk to the desk. No drawers to put things in and the safe did not work. It is close enough to walk to the beach. Breakfast was so so...dinner was pricey for what was offered . I've stayed in many different types of hotels in Costa Rica and I feel that this one falls short of what it could be. I'm giving the owners the benefit of the doubt because it opened in December and maybe they are still working out some details..I'd give it an ok... If you want quiet, this is a nice location and you can walk to beach..

Room Tip: Second floor
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
montelaguna, Owner at Montelaguna Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Thank you Penny for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. Allow me to respond on a couple of issues - for the sake of clarifying things for future possible guests.

Our hotel has 15 rooms and only 8 of them have tvs with satellite tv. We are still waiting for the cable companies to arrive in this part of samara. So, if someone needs a tv in their room, please request it when booking and we will do everything in our power to put you in a room with a tv.

The safes are new and work. What happens very often is that when previous guests leave they leave the safe shut and we have to open it with our key and reset it. If you have a problem with the safe, just let reception know and we will fix it straight away.

There are no draws in our room as we have choosen a minimalist style in decoration.

The bathroom "soap" is actually organic soap and shampoo. But i see your point of not knowing this, so we will need to make this clearer for our future guests.

Thank you for your other input regarding breakfast and dinner, we will definately give it some thought.

Giorgia and Gianmario

Reviewed 24 April 2014

From the moment I arrived at Montelaguna I knew I had picked the right place.

The hotel is operated by a lovely Italian couple, Giorgia and Gianmario. They were so nice and welcoming. I felt like I was staying with good friends.

The rooms are extremely clean and tastefully decorated and the bed was amazingly comfortable.

The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from Carillo beach which is far nicer than Samara. There are no restaurants or facilities but you are close enough to Montelaguna that it doesn’t matter. Just beautiful white sand and blue water. Some days I had the beach all to myself. If you want to go into Samara for the day it’s very easy. You can walk along the beach in about 30 minutes or rent a bike and cabs are also very cheap. About 6 dollars each way.

Giorgia was so helpful from the first email I sent her inquiring about my trip. She sent a cab to pick me up in Liberia and even lent me a hammock for the beach.

They also have a little restaurant that serves freshly made pasta and local fish. The meals were so delicious that I never wanted to eat anywhere else. I spent a month in Costa Rica and never ate a meal that even came close!

I originally only booked a week and was planning to move somewhere else for some variety but after looking around the city I decided there was no better place in Samara. And to top it off the price was very reasonable.

I can’t say enough about Montelaguna. I can't wait to go back and visit again. It really felt like a home away from home!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo