“Me encanta el Tico Adventure Lodge!!!”

Tico Adventure Lodge
Reviewed 12 January 2010

I just returned from a 5-day stay at the Tico Adventure Lodge and had an AMAZING time. I stayed at several cabinas throughout Costa Rica on my way to Samara Beach and the Tico Lodge was by far the best - the rooms were big with plenty of shelves and hooks for all of my clothes, products, etc. The closeline outside my room was great for beach towels and bathing suits....The decor and vibe of the place was perfect - a true jungle oasis - I could not believe there was a pool! Great for lounging after the sun and sand of the beach. Such an incredible value - AND during high season. It's only a couple blocks from the beach - an easy walk.

You MUST go on the Sunset Dinner to Barrigona Beach (right by Mel Gibson's estate.) Chris, the owner, organizes it with his brother Charlie - they are super laid back and fun. And those Texans can cook! The food was AMAZING. The beach and sunset were so beautiful - they took my breath away. And it was great to bond with some of the other guests of the Lodge. But anyone can go - space permitting.

I also got a surf lesson from C&C Surf School (Charlie runs it) and took the kayak tour to snorkel. WELL WORTH THE $!!! I was able to get up on the board my first time, thanks to my instructor, Samurio. Such a great feeling and work out. The waves are pretty mellow so it's a great place to learn or perfect your skills.

My fav restaurant was El Lagarto located on the beach - great BBQ and not too exp for the quality of food. Tabanuco was the spot to get your dance on - great music and people. Ladies night on Thursday! ;)

To sum it up - I had an INCREDIBLE time at the Tico Adventure thanks to Chris and his staff who made great recommendations on what to do and where to do it. PURA VIDA! :)

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 November 2009

As a group of five seasoned, female travelers, we were completely delighted by every aspect of our experience at the Lodge. We stayed in the pool house and were amazed by the amenities provided for the price. Most evenings, we would buy local produce and cook incredible meals in the well-equipped kitchen. The staff were very friendly and more than happy to answer any of our questions. We felt completely safe and content in the seemingly secret jungle-oasis setting that is Tico Adventure Lodge. I cannot wait to return to beautiful Playa Samara and I know exactly where I will be staying!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 August 2009

I have been traveling in Costa Rica for several weeks now and tend to go for middle of the road prices on hotels. I don't do backpacker hostels (too noisy!) but try to get the next cheapest thing. My room at Tico Adventure Lodge costs half the price of most of my hotel rooms and is among the nicest. $20+tax for one person! Private bath, private balcony, shared fridge, pool, great funky treehouse atmosphere. It's in the center of town, not on the beach, but it's just a short walk to the beach and to restaurants and bard. Love Playa Samara- would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 August 2009

I went during the rainy season and it DID rain a lot the first few days we were there (my 30 year old daughter and I). Chris, the owner, was always very helpful when we asked him information. He is laid back and did not trip over himself to ask if we needed help. His wife was nice and the girl at the front desk was very friendly.
We rented the 2 double bed room pool side. It was air-conditioned (my daughter insisted on it) and we lucked out as it is true that during the rainy season, there are some bugs and some ants. That location was very quiet unless there was a rainstorm on the roof. This did not take place while we were sleeping.
The shower water was warm, there was a refrigerator for drinks and other things we wanted to buy. We both had a comfortable double bed. We slept very well.
We loved the tropical landscaping, the tree house, the small swimming pool. The coziness of the whole place.
We used the location as a central place for day trips around Costa Rica with rest days at the beach in between. We were not always spending tons of time there.
The only problem we had were the group of teenagers which came as part of an educational tour run by a relative of the owner. They were not well chaperoned and had a tendency to take over the place, let their flip flip float in the poot and stuff like that. We took advantage of their excursion time to have peace and quiet at the place.
Overall we loved this place. It had everything you need if you don't expect high luxury and the price was right.

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed 27 April 2009

This is the closest I came to a luxury hotel in Costa Rica, and it was at a budget price. The hotel was kept immaculate. The rooms have a nice ventilation, the showers have warm water, and the beds were comfortable. The grounds are serene, with plants and hammocks galore. The owners and staff were friendly as well. This lodge is affiliated with C&C Surf School, and you can probably get a deal if you are taking surf lessons as well... I highly recommend their surf school, the instructor was wonderful and had my friend & I standing in minutes!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 April 2009

The Tico Adventure Lodge was a perfect fit for us. We knew we wanted to stay in or near Samara, wanted something clean and comfortable, but not too expensive - and this was perfect.
We stayed in the Tree Top Apartment and just loved it. Our group consisted of two couples, so the two bedroom apartment with a kitchen worked great. We would buy food at the nearby supermercado, make our own breakfasts, drink the coffee provided by the lodge, and sit on our private porch and watch the monkeys in the trees across the street.
This is also a great place to stay if you want to surf and plan to rent a board and/or have lessons. The C & C Surf Shop, which is run by the same owner of the Lodge, is the best in town. The instructors are very friendly, and the prices are very reasonable.
Only issue with the Tree Top Apartment is that it faces a road. But that never really bothered us.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 January 2009

Comfortable decent sized room with a great small pool right outside. There are some ants on the bed from time to time but I think that just happens in the tropics. There’s a beautiful garden with a grill free for the guests to use – don’t try to cook chicken on it at night though because it would be hard to see if it’s cooked in the dark with a flashlight ha…ha!). It takes a while to walk to the beach but it’s not too far. I love the place. It’s really quite beautiful.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)