“Dreamlike - Magic Cabinas-Villa-Kunterbunt”

Cabinas Villa Kunterbunt
Hamburg, Germany
“Dreamlike - Magic Cabinas-Villa-Kunterbunt”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

A short time ago I was allowed to experience the wonderful beauty of Cabinas-Villa-Kunterbunt and it has bewitched me.
For me it was a gift that was given to me and I will keep this wonderful experience in my thoughts.
This beautiful place is for people who appreciate this attention to details and for people who are sensitive to recognize this beauty place.
Every room was taken by Tommi unique with lots of love and invites you to stay and relax.
The beach walk to the village was one of the most beautiful moments I was allowed to experience.
The animals and plants that surround one in Villa-Kunterbunt, exude a calm and magical attraction that makes this place memorable.
Anyone who recognizes this beauty and there may stay for some time, the Villa-Kunterbunt will be as a unforgettable memories in Love.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 27 January 2014

we were supposed to stay in Samara for a couple of days and ended up staying for a week. The beach was lovely, the cabinas were a colorful blast of friendliness, and our experiences were truly memorable.
For those looking for quiet , secluded, quaint, simple accomodations, this is the place for you.the price is right, it's near a much more secluded part of the beach and this beach is great for snorkeling.IF you are coming to this beach bring your MASK and SNORKEL!! this is not a surfer's paradise, but great for snorkeling, some days the visibilty sucked but most others it was incredible.
The place is a nice walk from the town which is quite nice when there's a rodeo going on blasting tunes, so you're far enough away to have a good night's sleep.( you''ll only be woken by bird's singing, a rooster crowing, or a dog barking. truly off the beaten path. you do have to walk to the beach to see the sunset, (2 minutes literally) but they are gorgeous and you can't see the sun go down over the ocean if you are in samara town(it goes behind the rocky outcrop).
Tommi , the owner,is a good man,it didn't take long for him to open up and we engaged in some wonderful conversations, he also made us a wonderful dinner,had some insight into the local hot spots(for us it was where to snorkel) and one night all the male quests(our better halves called in an early night) stayed up sharing stories and spirits, a good time had by all, got to know my fellow travellers. So it is somewhat like a hostel, in some ways.
as for water, we had some shortage problems in that area of town but since the cabinas had a pump we were always able to take a shower, the weather was so hot that the cold shower was welcomed. Also didn't need or want a/c, in fact we had to turn off the fan because the ocean breeze was refreshing as is.
the kitchen was a bonus, sure it could use a new frying pan, but it was clean, had a fridge and all that we needed and there was a small store not too far to get food. When we ate in town, it was a romantic walk back under the stars along the beach,(but don't forget your flashlight , comes in handy) the walk to town might seem a stretch, but when you're walking along the beach into town, you actually want it to stretch on forever
.BTW, if you are coming in on the regular bus from nicoya, stay on it as it goes towards playa carillo, after the small store,ask driver , get off and walk down and take a right , easy to get to, but would have sucked if we got off in town and walked the beach with our backpacks.(I had booked due to an old lonely planet, but the new lonely planet i had with me didn't have kunterbunt in it, so i wasn't sure where it was, but the bus driver knew..)

Pura Vida! one of the highlights of our trip was staying here. Villas kunterbunt was just what we wanted; being off the beaten path, peaceful and quiet, it had what we needed . Tommi was a gracious host. we already recommended this place to travellers who we met while in Costa Rica; good people with good vibes and if you want/are the same, then stay here!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We've spent close to two weeks in Samara, in different hotels, and this is by far the best value. Super accommodating, and friendly. It's run much more like a hostel, with communal areas, kitchen, and patio, fire pit etc. If you want luxury, this is not the place for you. If you want a good deal, and a real local experience, it's perfect! Kunterbunt means multicolored. We loved our stay and recommend it for adventurers, artist types, and backpackers. It's close to a fishing village, and 5min away from the town of samara by car. It's awesome!

• Stayed January 2014
NJ
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I am very pleased with my experience at Cabinas Kunterbunt, a cosy place in South Samara Beach, only 3 kilometers from Samara Center, and about 1 kilometer from Carrillo Beach. The place is full of color with paintings the owner has painted himself, the atmosphere is warm with care and personalized service, and very afordable for those who choose to be away from were most of people go to get blasted.

The owner is a very charming and quiet young man who likes to invite his guests to a natural drink, a beer, a glass of wine and even a meal if he is eating and you are around. His conversation is pleasant and intelligent, and he is very respectful and willing to help you if you need information about the area.

I recommend this beautiful place to anyone looking for peace and tranquility. Walking on the beach to the center of Samara is a delightful experience and it only takes about 20 minutes to get to restaurants and other stores. Driving is a matter of 3 or 4 minutes get to the heart of the small town of Samara.

Room Tip: From rooms 3 and 4 we were able to sleep to the hunting sound of the ocean.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I am a budget traveller who is used to very basic accommodation, and am by no means fussy about where I stay, but seriously this place is horrendous. After reading about kunterbunt in an old lonely planet I thought it sounded okay, and was one of the only places in town with a room....

I'm not going to go on about the fact it's about 6 miles or so from samara and completely inaccessible without a car, because it was one of the most awful places I've ever seen. It was so bad that after looking around we didnt even stay the night and found somewhere else. I have never in all my travels found a place so dirty (and frankly scary) i didnt stay. Nor have I ever felt the need to post anything on trip advisor before, but then I've not seen anything quite this bad before.

The place is falling apart, and the 'garden' area is reminiscent of a crime scene from a horror film, the room (with no proper door) had not been cleaned or even tidied, there were beer cans and rubbish all over the floor, bed not changed, a lot excrement in the toilet and on bathroom floor.

The owner was clearly wasted, but not relaxed and funny wasted, he was aggressive and incomprehensible. He didn't know who we were despite calling twice to confirm we were coming, and had made no effort to do anything with the room. When he realised that we were considering not staying he became very rude and basically threw us out.

Don't stay here, dont even think about it, even if there isn't any rooms in town. There are plenty of cheap options and other nice towns close-by. I seriously can't believe anyone i.e. the reviews below, would think it is an okay place. It's not.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Richard S
London
Reviewed 19 May 2013

I do not recommend staying here! The place is bizarre, mainly because Tom is such a strange man and you're effectively staying at his house. We were the only guests during our stay which made it all the weirder. Tom (the owner) wanders around the place in his underwear either drunk or high all day long, and occasionally engages you in bizarre and sometimes uncomfortable conversations. For some reason the water was switched off as often as it was turned on. The communal kitchen was basic, badly equipped and dirty. On the positive side, they had 2 very friendly puppies and a kitten, and it's a 30 second walk from the beach. Be prepared for a half hour walk down to the town for a shop or food. Actually, don't be prepared for that: Don't even think about staying here.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tomauk
Arch, Switzerland
Reviewed 30 March 2013

I had been looking forward to my stay at the Kunterbunt for some time. Frankly, I was taken aback a bit when I saw it again. Not only was the beach-house no longer a part of it, but many things looked a bit shabby.
My room as such was OK. The services offered by Tim were excellent.
I had to get used to the fact that when some of the guests were chatting down below, Thomas butted in and told all of us of his glorious deeds. Most of the time, he was drunk or otherwise high. All discussions had to stop! HE was speaking!
CAUTION, do not drink the water, or use it for cooking, washing dishes and brushing your teeth. It is pumped out of a tank under the floor of a toolshed, partially covered with a wooden board. The dirt on your shoes drops down into the tank when you walk over it.
After only a few days, the warm water heater did not function any more. The offered explanation: Too expensive to keep it running – although we were paying for it!. It’s not clear, if this was also the reason why the water supply was closed down during the night.
On many days the common kitchen was a pigsty.
The day, one of my chocolate bars in the common refrigerator disappeared and part of it was found in Thomas’ refrigerator, I had had it! I accused Thomas of stealing the guest’s supplies. At first he denied it. When I confronted him with the facts, he admitted the deed, but accused me of having tempted him by placing the chocolate in the refrigerator.
Well, that did it. Fortunately there are other guest houses in and around Samara. Kunterbunt definitely is no longer on my list!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo