“Beautiful location ; great staff”
Review of Hotel Iguanazul

Hotel Iguanazul
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Beautiful location , wonderful staff , good meals. The staff was extremely accommodating for our rather large group.... We wanted to watch the Gold Medal Hockey game between Canada & Sweden...... So at 6 am the bar & restaurant was fully occupied with guests . The bar tender & Roberto served drinks & breakfast as we cheered on Team Canada !! Awesome !!
The rooms were average (#4 was fine). But the beds in some of the units need an update....extremely old & uncomfortable . The location is "off the beaten track" & we spent our time at local beaches & also the pool ....amazing views.
A nice out of the way hotel.

Room Tip: I liked #4..... Was not aware some units had kitchenettes.....
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Helen L

Reviewed 17 February 2014

This hotel is set in a beautiful location with nice gardens and stunning views of the Pacific. The outside area is lovely and there is a very good pool. What a shame that the rooms and restaurant don't match up to the location.
Luckily we were only here for 1 night - the rooms were at best basic and not up to the standard of the other hotels we stayed in in Costa Rica. The restaurant food was adequate but that's all. I felt sorry for the one member of staff who seemed to be permanently on duty as barman, waiter and front desk at times.
They had a happy hour at about 5 and a large number of loud (and later very drunk) Americans descended on the bar completely taking it over. Whilst I enjoy a drink and am a smoker I respect others around me, the amount of shouting and smoking in a non-smoking area really was unacceptable. It appears they are residents of a condo down the road and I presume this is a regular occurance

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Tim G
Reviewed 18 October 2013

It's not easy to find Hotel Iguanazul near Playa Junquillal, but it's certainly worth the 90 minute drive from Liberia airport. Beautiful, comfortable hotel located on a 100' beach bluff amid lush cattle plains, with 22 duplex cottage style rooms. The grounds are wonderful, with palms, orchids and covered hammocks where you can doze overlooking the azure seas and coves. At low tide you can walk for miles along the beaches in both directions - along a variety of volcanic rocks, white sand and gentle tidal pools. We found the skeleton of a sea turtle, heard howler monkeys and saw dolphins offshore. Robert, William and Anna were personable, courteous and attentive, treating us like family. The food was delicious and value priced, even in the off season. The rural locale makes it far safer and more private than in Playa Coco, Jaco and Quepos and the rates were among the best anywhere for a place of this quality. I'd recommend it as a romantic getaway for anyone who doesn't need to see 'tourist attractions', although Tamarindo is about 45 minutes north if you like that kind of thing.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Steven F
Reviewed 2 September 2013

After our 2nd visit to Iguanazul the place keeps its charm. No longer an All-Inclusive resort, this time we eat all our meals at the restaurant, an other than a little inconvenient with the shrimps, everything was very tasteful. The personal is one of a kind (and again, I never felt like I needed to place my wallet or laptop hidden fearing that it might get stolen... I just don't know how it could happen to the reviewer below!) We went to the game room at night, and thought it looks a little wore down, we had a great time. And this time we found out that they sell ice on the bar, so no need to go out at all!

Room Tip: Pool side room! Keep in mind that there's no TV on the room, nor refrigerator. :)
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Megadark
Reviewed 29 June 2013

My wife and I have been going to the "Iguana"since the early 90's,as it was always a favorite even as we watched CR become too "Americanized"for our taste(we live several months each year in Nicaragua),and just returned there after a 7 year absence .We were not disappointed!!
David still the owner,Roberto still there,and desk manager William(very helpful,and best of all,he answered e-mail in a rapid timely manner,a rarity for many places!),and Ana!Wish we could have brought her back with us-beside her "do any thing for you "personality,ask her to make a fruit punch(with or without rum!)GREAT!
No where will you beat the view at sunset,and,because we had a great low tide,walking the beach was very easy with great shelling.Other Ticos on the beach and all were friendly.
In our opinion,the food throughout the years has remained excellent and the choices are always varied and excellent.Those lucky enough to be there when David gets his grill going are in for a taste treat!
Since we spend lots of time in Central America,I would be remiss if I didn't comment on others complaints--rooms too plain,music too loud,place too remote,maid in our room,food not enough choices,AC too loud etc.--read your damn guide book and go where the masses go!,
The Iguana remains what it has always been-a great place,with amazing sunsets,off the beaten(trodden!!)Costa Rican path.We will continue to return!
I neglected to say we had friends with us who "loved the place!"

Room Tip: We like out by ocean
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank Chris M
Reviewed 19 June 2013

A friend and I stayed here for two nights. The rooms were nice, although the walls were thin when a loud party is on the other side. The view is wonderful, including an amazing sunset and beaches to walk along. Surfers will like the waves, but a lot of walks that would make swimming a little iffy. The food was great one night we were there (I had the mussels with fettucini and it was some of the best I'd had). However the second night it must have been a different chef and it wasn't as good. When the place is full it can be a little loud at times, but overall a very nice hotel. Be aware the safes are a little iffy, although I never felt concerned for my belongings. Good water (warm and cold) and air conditioning.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank Beth M
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I would not stay in this hotel again.
Me and my family when to Costa Rica for vacation, and stayed at this hotel.
Staff was friendly, food ok, the view from our room Was beautiful. But my only thing and sad that spoiled our visit there was, that we didn't think of putting our money in a security box, we werent going to stay out that long either but when you are in the rain forrest things carrie away and we end up getting to our room late that day. we didnt want anyone to come in. but they still came to clean the room, and money was taking from us. When we when to talked to the owner the next day, after we have looked over and over through our things, he brought a bunch of excuses and send us to talk to the police and told us to get someone to come and finger print his employers.
At the end of it, he made us go to the main town and put a complaine but nothing was result. We pay for everything and most of my money was taking from my bag, that was hidding in with my passport :(... I don't like to write bad comments but if this was to happen to any other visitors to the place. At least you know that this happen before. Just be aware of your values. Put it in the safe box or take it with you... Namaste

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
#1 of 3 in Playa Junquillal
Azul Ocean Club Hotel
Azul Ocean Club Hotel
#1 of 1 in Playa Azul

Been to Hotel Iguanazul? Share your experiences!