Hotel Iguanazul
Hotel Playa Negra(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
US$160
Orbitz.com
US$41
Hotel El Castillo Divertido(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
US$34
Agoda.com
US$113
Los Altos de Eros(Tamarindo)
US$559
US$367
Orbitz.com
Seis Playas Hotel(Huacas)(Great Value!)
US$99
Priceline
Guacamaya Lodge(Playa Junquillal)(Great Value!)
US$72
Hotwire.com
Hotel Tatanka(Paraiso)(Great Value!)
US$111
  • Pool
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 March 2010

The place is pleasant, the staff nice, the owner a first class [--]. He sat outside our room until 3 am drinking and carrying with some guest on until I had to
go out and tell him and his party to shut up

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
5  Thank bienman
Reviewed 17 December 2009

I am a little biased, I have stayed at the Iguanazul 6 times now. We got engaged there and then a year later married there (wonderful day, no hassle just lovely).
It is a clean basic but beautiful place. The staff are always helpful and friendly. The food is very good for such a remote place.
We ended up there by accident in 2003, we thought we booked a place in Tamarindo on the net (first time in Costa Rica). 6 hours of hard driving (it has improved every year) from San Jose, arrived just in time to see the sunset, that made it all worth it.
It is not a busy place but you will feel at home in minutes. How many places can you have a white beach to yourself?
Not a place for singles / groups of youngsters as there is very little to do at night (bar shuts about 10 ish, a late one is 12). There is still plenty to do in the surrounding area. Having a 4X4 helps.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2008

If you are looking for an out of the way relaxing time, this hotel is great. If you are looking for parties and music, this is probably not the place.

My wife and I live in Costa Rica and took a 3 day weekend looking for some R & R. We normally go to another hotel on Junquiall but since it is low season there were minimally staffed and not well kept up. So, it worked to our benefit.

The Staff is friendly and very accommodating. The food was very good and the rooms were more than adequate. Everything worked well, no bugs, and the pool area was very clean.

It is worth it to spend a little more for the oceanside rooms. What an incredible view to wake up, draw back the curtain, and lay in bed staring out at the ocean. It doesn't get any better! In addition, if you like to walk on the beach, do a little swimming it is good, not great. The great thing is you will have miles of beach almost to yourself!

Playa Junquiall is an out of the way place, for a quite time. There is a lot to do in Costa Rica so i would not spend all my time here, however, a few days here gives you a great taste of the beach life.

I recommend it highly.

P.S. For dog lovers there is an incredible dog named Bisquit He will make your stay even greater.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank HavingSomeFun
Reviewed 22 October 2006

This is a pretty nice place, rooms are definitely a tad below basic but OK; the AC worked fine and that was enough for me. The food is quite good, I'd give it a 9. The staff is very friendly and try very hard, and I could see a nice ambience. However, we went with our two young daughters and this is not exactly a place for children, the pool is for adults only, and going down to the beach was not easy, however we did find small pools in the beach to the right and spent hours exploring the sealife in these pools. We also spent hours sitting on the benches watching the ocean from above and enjoying the breeze. I also feel they could do a bit more to upgrade the place, but if you are on a budget I do recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank sadwithjacuzzi
A TripAdvisor Member
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 10 July 2006

We stayed at Iguanazul on our honeymoon between a stay at Punta Islita (5 star resort in playa samara) and Hotel Bula Bula (our favorite in playa grande). Iguanazul is a typical Costa Rican Hotel. We have vacationed in Costa Rica on both the low end ($30/night) and the high end ($300/night). This hotel falls in to the low end by far. The grounds are fine, but could use a little updating. I couldn't help but think, "if they only put a little money into this place, it would be incredible!" The food at the restaurant was good and the frozen fruit drinks were excellent.
The rooms were not great. As a matter of fact, as soon as we walked into our room I called Bula Bula to see if we could check in 2 days early. The decorating is non existent. The towel rack fell off the wall when my husband tried to hang his towel. We had a very nice ocean view, but it was also a walk way so everyone could see in our room when we opened the curtains. The lighting is HORRIBLE! You can barely see yourself in the mirror. You can, however, see all of the bugs and lizards that are spending the night with you. We actually slept with the lights on for three nights so that we could see what may be in our bed. We had a lot of ants in our room as well.
The pool was nice sized, but was a little buggy. We spent most of our time about 10 minutes up the road at Playa Negra where the water is surfable.
All in all it was not a bad experience, just not pleasant. I was not relaxed while there. It was simply a place to sleep, not to spend time. I probably would not stay there again.

Stayed: June 2006