“Average one of a kind experience”
Review of Hotel Playa Negra

Hotel Playa Negra
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Montréal, Québec
“Average one of a kind experience”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The huts of the hotel are very nice and cozy, I had A/C in my room, couldn't of done it without. Although, the surf shop and restaurant/bar are really bad. First the restaurant, the service is very very slow, the food is good but they forgot my orders twice which is pretty annoying. Waiting one hour for a burger is not normal. Second, the surf shop, if were thinking about renting a board there don't, most of them are missing fins, are broken or very crappy. Plus the salesman doesn't even surf so he wont help you knowing how's the wave and the tides.

Room Tip: Rooms without A/C get very hot
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Théo G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
NYC
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed late June and booked the older rooms without A/C, which was fine with the overhead fan. The room is minimal but comfortable and clean. Shower was also OK and internet good enough for skype and streaming.
Food at the restaurant is good but depends on what you order and the staff is very friendly. It is pricier than the village but you sit by the ocean and enjoy the breeze and view.
I was there the night the Costa Rica won an important soccer match so people partied until 11:30 but it was a great party and overall the place is quiet and as people come to relax.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: If you need an A/C be prepared to be a little at the back of the property.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Kutz
SF Bay
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My boyfriend & I came here for surf. I so wanted to like this place. I really do. I get that it's simple, minimal, and for surfers in mind who normally don't care for luxury amenities (as explained to me by my surfer bf). First of all, this is not a 4 star nor 5 star resort as some other sites claim it to be. 3.5 star at a best stretch. The grounds could use improvements such us provide well lit pathways at night, better dining options, and make amenities listed on their website available.

We stayed at suite bungalow 16. The layout was cute & love the patio. Definitely made use out of the patio, it's hammocks & outdoor shower. The bad is no AC in our suite which we sooo regretted not getting. The really bad are the bugs which ate us alive In our rooms & patio at night. I seriously contemplated sleeping in our rental car wt it's AC and sanctuary away from bugs.

The restaurant served surprisingly good food & smoothies but could definitely use more variety. Their menu on their website does not match the menu they used when we were there. It seemed lacking or maybe by day 2 I wanted to eat different things which they didn't have. The restaurant stayed empty for the most part. It often seemed like we were the only diners at night. The restaurant seemed almost kind of sad. It maybe due to its decor & blue painted walls. For variety to go nearby Lolas playa avellanas & Playa Junquillal for surf as well.

What's up with the wifi?! Worked fine in the rooms but none existent in the restaurant and beach.

The heladeria (ice cream store) was closed during our stay. I was so looking forward to trying it & bummed that it never opened during our 5 day stay. Plus I read somewhere they provide Argentinian BBQ. Ha! Was looking forward to that but nope. No such thing was served. I was constantly reminded what may have been since the BBQ pit was in wide open site.

The pool, oh the pool.. So not what I had envisioned. In reality it was uninviting & I was so looking forward to using it. It may have been due to its "closed off" landscaping that it made it seem that way.

The website and information I read about this place from other sites seemed misleading. I was definitely disappointed as my expectations were not met.

The hard-working staff, guards were nice & pleasant. Thank you!

I truly hope the staff and hotel treat the doggies well. Especially the yellow lab looking dog who acted as our friend & guardian during our stay. Such a sweet dog & probably won't last long as it seemed she was in pain. She made our stay pleasant & felt comforted by her presence.

The place could use much needed renovation. Put AC in all rooms & get wifi to work in the restaurants as well.

The bugs! All the more reason to get AC in room!

Oh and one more thing I wish I would have known prior to our travel to Costa Rica. Be very warned about renting cars in Costa Rica. Apparently, as explained to us by an agent at The Economy car rental counter, insurance is NOT covered under foreign insurance auto companies so you will need to pay extra. We had to get their mandatory insurance and this is in accordance with Costa Rica law apparently. Where giving 3 options, #1 is pay $585 plus $950 deposit. Option 2 is pay $350 plus $3K deposit. The 3rd was out of our price range. This information was not provided to us when we rented our car through CarRentals.com. We felt trapped by these options and it was not conveyed to us ahead of time.

Room Tip: No AC = bug infested rooms :-(!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amtaag
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Playa Negra is a sleepy surf town and Hotel Playa Negra is the place to stay. It is an easy drive from Liberia airport, close to many beaches. There is a pool, surf shop and open-air restaurant. The Cabinas can ft 4 though most comfortable for 2 people. They have an indoor/outdoor feel and you are very close the the beach so expect some small crabs and bugs though nothing to complain about, windows have screens and the rooms are clean and well maintained. We had trouble with our lock which the staff fixed immediately. The hotel was fully booked but it never felt busy or full of people. ALL of the staff are extremely friendly and helpful- Renan at reception, Meme at the surf shop and the women working at the restaurant especially.

We slept like the dead, to the sound of rain and frogs and were awoken by birds and howler monkeys. It was very difficult to leave, this is a wonderful place to either start or end your trip to the Nicoya Peninsula.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Vashon Washington, USA
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed in a house nearby and patronized the hotel restaurant repeatedly. Great place to watch surfers, while dining and refreshing under the thatched hut. It was a great mix of locals, Brasilians, Americans, French, and Germans swirling in multinational conversations. The Patacones had a wonderful fresh salsa on each slice, artfully arranged. Typical local breakfast was wholesome and fresh. Drinks were a little skimpy but strong. Decent value overall. That swimming pool looked amazing and beautifully maintained.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Skrzypeks
Escazu, Costa Rica
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Nice and relaxing beach front hotel! Cool atmosphere! Good restaurant and great friendly Staff. located 25 minute drive from Tamarindo and many othe amazing beaches, Avellanas, Nosara, Samara, Playa lagarto etccc
Worthwhile visiting the place

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Viborg, Denmark
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Hotel Playa Negra was recommended to us by friends - and I can't thank them enough! This beautiful place couldn't have been better. Tranquility, laidback atmosphere, great people, great food, wonderful view of the ocean, surfers, locals using the beach as a second livingroom, the water, the pool - but most of all - a winderful staff, that makes you feel at home in a very short time.
This is one of those vacations you don't want to leave; and when you have to anyway - you start planning for your return.
By the way, in the village nearby have dinner at the wonderful, magnificent restaurant Deveena - you won't regret...

Room Tip: we stayed in one of the bungalows without air condition, and enjoyed the breeze blowing through the...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Hotel Arco Iris
Hotel Arco Iris
#5 of 23 in Tamarindo
Best Western Tamarindo Vista Villas

Been to Hotel Playa Negra? Share your experiences!