“Hotel is worth it for the breakfast alone!”

Cala Luna Luxury Boutique Hotel & Villas
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Tamarindo
Charleston, South Carolina
“Hotel is worth it for the breakfast alone!”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at Cala Luna for a friend's wedding. It was amazing-- from the welcome drinks- to the staff - to the tub-- we loved everything about this place! The "Tor-tu-ga" quickly became my favorite cocktail! Our room was very close to the pool and walkway down the the beach. Our friends were married at a home across the street (Sueno Del Mar), so it was very convienent for meeting up with friends! Our room was beautiful, spacious, and had the most amazing shower/tub! We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast each morning, delicious watermelon juice (among many others) served with fresh baked breads! A homemade jam, typically strawberry, also came with these delights and a full menu! Believe me when I tell you it's worth the breakfast alone, but the pool is also amazing; and the staff is some of the friendliest people we've encountered! Our favorite bartender, Orlando, mixed many "tor-tu-ga"s for me. We loved happy hour by the pool for a little monkey show and good music! There was literally not one thing we didnt love about this hotel, so if you are looking for the perfect Costa Rican getaway, Cala Luna is Pura Vida!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jenny S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Hebrew first
Texas
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We wanted a more intimate experience for our family than the large properties found along the Pacific coast in Costa Rica. Cala Luna was perfect. We had a family of 7 in the 3-bedroom villa. Some of us enjoyed the private pool, others, the elegant public pool. The beach was fantastic for shelling, lazing in the shallow water and exploring the tidal pools. Everyone enjoyed it! The property was close enough to activities that we didn't have to spend precious time in transportation.
We had several lunches and dinners at the restaurant and found the food was wonderful...fresh ingredients and enough choices for us all. The best part of Cala Luna was the service staff. To a person they were well informed, friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PapergirlTexas
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My extended family of 10 recently stayed at Cala Luna for four nights. We stayed in three rooms near each other, which were also near the pool and restaurant/bar. The grounds are beautiful and lush. The staff was wonderful - very friendly and accommodating. We especially enjoyed the service from our servers Oscar and Josh, though all of our servers were excellent. Josh even played a song I requested and gave us an informal salsa lesson one evening at the bar/lounge. Carlos at the front desk went the extra mile, finding my family at the pool when I needed to reach them from town. Breakfast was amazing! Everything on the menu was delicious. The fruit plates were excellent. There were different fresh juices to choose from each morning. And smoothies were always available. Lunches and dinners were excellent also. The monkeys that live in the trees were fun to watch. We had an excellent view one day around lunchtime when they came to the trees by the pool to eat. I got some great pictures. The rooms were very nice and clean. We had a few ants in the bathroom each day, but nothing to complain about. The water temperature in our shower did switch from hot to cold and back, which made it a little hard to relax. The other rooms didn't seem to have this problem. No complaints, other than that. We enjoyed the beach at the hotel, even though it isn't really good for swimming. There were great waves to watch and you could enjoy the free evening cocktails and see the sunset. There were also tide pools which kept the kids (and adults) quite entertained. The beach was also great for finding seashells - they were everywhere. It was a short walk around the point to get to beaches for swimming, surfing and boogie boarding. We also walked into town several times.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

We just stayed at Cala Luna for two nights, my husband and I and two children ages 6 & 8. Our villa was so spacious and beautifully appointed. We were so happy after our long drive from Arenal. The staff was wonderful (Orlando at the bar), everyone we encountered was amazing. We really appreciated the beautiful pool/lounge area and enjoyed all our meals there. We highly recommend it and would definitely stay there again! The style and flair at the villas was very refreshing!

Stayed June 2014
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My new husband and I stayed at Cala Luna for the first half of our honeymoon. When we arrived, we were greeted with fresh juice and shown to our room that had a bottle of chilled champagne and a plate of chocolate strawberries waiting - the honeymoon treatment.

The entire property is beautiful and surrounded by lush gardens. We saw all types of birds, iguanas and even monkeys. As with all wildlife, you do have to be prepared for some mishaps such as the time I got peed on by an iguana who was sitting above me in a tree.

Right off of the pool is the outdoor bar and our bartender, Joshua, kept our drinks flowing and was very attentive. We truly enjoyed our evenings of sitting in the pool and chatting at the bar with Joshua. It was a great way to relax from all of the activities we planned during the day. They even had a hotel beagle, named Igor, that would roam the property and hang out with us. I believe he is the owners dog.

The rest of the staff was very courteous and friendly. We had arranged for a zip line and catamaran tour through them and they kept us well informed on our schedule.

Nothing compares to the wonderful breakfasts they offered. Real, fresh, juices were served every morning. The common choices were watermelon, pineapple, papaya, and other local fruits. I also really enjoyed the french pressed coffee because I can't live without my daily cup!

We had been expecting a standard buffet breakfast that you serve yourself, but it was nice to see that they had full menu that you could order from (all included).

Overall it was an amazing experience. We enjoyed the beach (a short 2 minute walk) and all of the staff and amenities. The only thing I would say was a disappointment was that there was a giant bathtub in our room that looked amazing; however, I could not get enough water pressure or hot water to fill it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Plet5483
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stayed at Cala Luna for four nights and had our wedding here. The hotel itself is lovely. The grounds and pool are gorgeous and the restaurant is pretty good. It's quite expensive but the two bedroom suites are enormous and come with their own pool. The staff is wonderful as well.

However, trying to plan a wedding with this venue was the most frustrating experience of my life. In eight months they went through 3 coordinators and I was repeatedly asked the same questions as though nothing was ever written down. They took three weeks to a month to reply to every email and I had to send a reminder email to even get that. They were also in charge of our rehearsal dinner and allowed us to order only half of the food we needed- their definition of kabob is about a third of a normal one. It took six months to get anything done and caused an immense amount of unnecessary stress- which is what we were trying to avoid destination wedding in the first place. While our wedding was wonderful, I was very disappointed with the hotel for how difficult the process was.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jsbarton
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We got a video of this site from Costa Rica Vacations, and watched it over, and over again through another long, hard winter in Montana. We finally took the leap and booked an 8 day trip here in May 2014. It was exactly as described in so many other reviews, except we had no negative experiences at all. The staff was amazing, from Laura, Floreda, Jose, Joshua, Orlando and the many others whose names we didn't catch, we were always treated with smiles and a willingness to help.

Yeah, we had a few bugs (and a gecko for a few days, but we hear that is good luck!) in our room, but it's to be expected given the lushness of the plants. They didn't bother us a bit. :) The room was lovely, and the huge shower was an unexpected surprise. We took multiple showers some days (we aren't used to heat and humidity,and the ATV tour we took left us covered in dirt!) and it was nice and roomy with places to hang our towels and beach clothes.

The food was amazing. We loved our breakfasts each morning (coconut pancakes were my favorite, omelets for my husband, and the breakfast burrito special was morning was awesome!) We also enjoyed trying the various fruit juices each morning, and I appreciate them serving me a few I wasn't sure about in shot glasses to try, but not waste too much. I ended up liking them all. We had some lunches and dinners there as well, and every meal was amazing, and served with a smile. The prices were similar to what they were in town at the restaurants (Nibbana, Patagonia, etc).

We loved happy hour on the beach in the evenings from 5-6 pm. Nice way to meet others and a great way to see the sunset.

We knew right away the first morning the noise we heard was the howler monkeys. We got to expecting them. One morning I didn't hear them, and that woke me up wondering when they were going to start up. The howling never lasted too long, and we were always able to go back to sleep for a few more hours. We never did see them close up at the hotel, but did see them off in the distance beyond the pool bar one day.

Loved the Igor came and laid at our feet at breakfast our first few days there. Made us a bit less homesick for our own dogs.

The walk back from town our first day wasn't too bad, except we weren't used to the heat and humidity, so we looked pretty tough by the time we got back to Cala Luna. But the fruit infused water by the pool was a welcome refreshment, and the bar tenders never looked at me funny when I gulped down several cold glasses of water at once. :) We got a lot of rides already set up from the activities we had scheduled while there, and it wasn't a big deal to spend the $5 to get to town or back to the hotel. The hotel was great about helping us book additional tours and postpone one as well.

The ocean is close enough that you can hear it, and it's just a very short walk down to the beach. We didn't think we could swim or really get in the water at all based on some of the comments I had read on here, but that isn't the case. At high tide, there is plenty of sandy beach to allow you to go and enjoy the water and float a bit. We saw many scuba divers when we were there. We spent one full day just at Cala Luna (and noticed many other couples doing the same). Beach, pool, food, beach, pool, food, drinks. It was very relaxing and just what we hoped for.

Thank you all for being a part of the most incredible vacation we've ever had. :) #puravida

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple