“Relaxing oasis”

Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Tamarindo
Ypsilanti, Michigan
“Relaxing oasis”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Stayed for 3 nights in a very nice room. Some maintenance problems but fixed quickly and were apologetic. Two nice restaurants and pool area. Not on the beach - about 5 minutes away. Taxi's easy to get into town for $5. Quiet comfort. Breakfasts were very nice and different every day. This was the off season so not very busy.

Room Tip: If you want a real luxury experience book a private bungalow.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Hebrew first
Aptos, California
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Calla Luna was lovely; our villa was beautiful and perfect for our family of four. We loved the pool, the evening cocktails on the beach and the breakfast was delicious. The staff was all very nice but it seemed like there was something missing from the service - as if they were a little afraid of management and not empowered to provide total customer service. Overall, not a reason not to stay here, just an observation. We were a little disappointed with Tamarindo. It was not a calm beach experience; you're interrupted every two seconds with someone trying to sell you something and I never felt completely safe. The beach at the resort is beautiful but isn't a swimming beach. We probably won't visit Tamarindo in the future. But, if you're looking for a party atmosphere away from the resort and still want to stay someplace quiet and beautiful, then Cala Luna is great.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Laurie G
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We highly recommend Cala Luna. We typically stay at 5 star hotels (Four Seasons type) so we are totally spoiled but Cala Luna was a great match! There are not many luxury spots in or near Tamarindo and Cala Luna fit the bill. The service was excellent, it was extremely clean, quiet and private. Although the rooms are not ocean view, they do have beach access and you can walk or rent bikes and go to Tamarindo very easily. We had had trouble figuring out the geography online in terms of how close the hotel was to town. By car it is about 2 mins. By foot, 20 mins and by bike, maybe 6 mins. My boyfriend and I were very impressed by the level of service at Cala Luna and we had a very relaxing time there. EXCELLENT value for what you get. Highly recommend.

A few things I would say management could add to make it perfect - robes and slippers and hair conditioner. But that's about it!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Managua, Nicaragua
Reviewed 5 August 2014

From the beginning until check-out, everything was a perfect experience. Our villa was very spacious, extremely well equipped and very pleasant thanks to our own pool. A perfect combination especially for a family stay. The restaurant also provided us a great culinary experience with a cozy outside sitting. Congratulations to the efficient staff and management. We all love Cala Luna.

Room Tip: 8 Villas with own pool available are perfectly suitable for families
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Stanontrip
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Who ever gave a good review about this place clearly has not traveled much. Yeah it's pretty and calm and romantic....It's all just a front to hide all the problems this place has!!

Besides the fact that my friends booked and when we got here they didn't find our reservations. Even with the confirmation number they couldn't find it. They also had to manually go look in hotel rooms they believed to be vacant to see if anyone was actually in there...c'mon is this 1930? You have a system to tell you this!!!! So 3 hours later waiting in the lobby getting destroyed by mosquitos, they finally gave us the rooms we reserved in the first place...

The food simply sucks. Go eat out if you can. Breakfast got me so angry. I purposely asked for a 3 egg omelette to avoid that disgusting pre-mixed egg stuff and they still gave it to me, I asked him how do you know it's 3 eggs? And he just looked at me with a clueless look on his face. I sent it back and didn't eat. Waited for lunch....

If you are think you will be connected to the internet....think again. There is no internet and when there is....make sure you have a couple of hours to load 1 email... Ridiculous.
Not even the lobby has a decent connection. My friends didn't even have a signal in their room... Cellular coverage also is terrible here so get your pigeons ready to send your messages lol.

The rooms are just ok, bed isn't really that comfortable and to top it off, you can hear the slightest whisper in the next room....not sound proofed at all.

The television was just messed up, I had to manually input the channels from the remote because if I would press up or down, it would go no signal and you had to start over again.

There is no ventilation in the bathrooms making it a constant sauna and there was a red ant infestation in my bathroom. I had to block holes with napkins.

Well that's about it! Good luck if you decide to stay here... but 300$ a night for this? I'll go somewhere else next time this is for sure!

All this place has is a nice facade. The rest will make you angry and significantly poorer.

One cool thing I can say is we were close to monkeys. Everyone loves to see monkeys so they score points on that....but who are we kidding. There are monkeys everywhere in Costa Rica ...I take those points back.

Good day to you fellow travelers!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Danny G
Calaluna M, Guest Relations Manager at Cala Luna Luxury Boutique Hotel & Villas, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
After all threats of writing us a bad review on Trip Advisor we are not really surprised to see your remarks. We are sorry that you experienced your stay as unpleasant, especially after we could not accomodate (for free) the three Costa Rican ladies that were travelling with you.
Since you think our food sucks I invite you, because you live in San Jose, to visit our kitchen unexpectedly, you will never find any premix in our kitchen. We pride ourselves in making all dishes from scratch and stick to this principle. The only premix we have in the kitchen is a special glutenfree pancake mix. Probably that is why our waiter looked at you with a clueless look on his face, he did not know what you were referring to since they see with their own eyes every day how omelettes are made from real eggs in our kitchen. Ann Vervoort
Southlake, Texas
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Summary - I would recommend this place for the right people with the right expectations. This experience is not for everyone.

First the positive. The grounds are beautiful and well kept and it is very private and secluded. We are a family of 5 (three teenagers) and stayed there from the 15th through the 19th of July. Our villa was spacious with plenty of room for us and we played cards at the dinner table every night which was nice for us. We had a private pool which was nice to use after a long day before getting ready for dinner. The staff were generally very attentive. Some were easier to warm up to than others. At times, it seemed that they were a little tense, maybe afraid of not making us happy. The local wildlife was very entertaining, but not sure about the owner's pets wandering about the grounds. The beagle threw up at breakfast one morning by our table. That is a European thing, as I travel extensively and you see that in France, Belgium, etc. The owners are European, which I will get to later.

There is one restaurant and the food is good. A bit westernized for me, as I prefer more local fair, but there are some good options. Breakfast was excellent. We did some of the local excursions and without a doubt the sunset catamaran was one of the highlights of our entire trip. The ATV trip was ok. This boutique has a very nice sunset cocktail hour that is complimentary that you must do at least once while you are there. Tamarindo beach (AKA "Tamgringo") is great for swimming and other activities like surfing and they do offer a shuttle into town. Getting back to Cala Luna is the bigger hassle. The local beach vendors can be persistent, but if you have ever traveled to Paris and dealt with the gypsies and North African street sellers, this is much easier to deal with; you just say no thank you and they move on We had dinner next to the Diria Hotel and watched the sunset and also picked up water and other snacks at the local grocery store for our villa.

Now the challenging: The beach is a short walk, but is really not a beach. It is a rocky coast and you cannot walk out there without some kind of strong water shoes or you risk cuts or risk slipping on algae covered rocks. The tidal pools are nice at low tide, but really this is not a swimmable area. Our teenagers were very bummed out about this issue. You really had to go into Tamarindo to get to the nice beach. You can walk, but the road is rough and it just takes time. My wife and I really liked the villa, but yes there are bugs and our bathroom had a particular problem with ants. We always put our toothpaste and Listerine in baggies, but every morning I was wiping away dozens of ants from our sink area. We both grew up by the bech, so it did not bother us as much as the kids. They lock the doors at 6:00 PM to the beach access, so any moonlight walks with your spouse/partner you need to take the long way around. The biggest issue was getting back to the resort from town. You had to get a cab, which is not hard, but one day I only had a 10,000 Colonnes bill and asked the desk for change, but they had none. How do you not have change at the front desk. My cab driver was very happy with his large tip (7,500 Colonnes). I was a bit annoyed, but what do you do,

I travel all over the world (100,000 miles plus annually), so I am very familiar with hotels and resorts. The management of this boutique hotel seemed odd to me. The clearly European manager sat in her office and never ever engaged with the clientele, even though she would walk right by you. The owner's son would come into the bar in the evening with his friend and dog and never talk to clients. It just seems odd to me and not what I am accustomed to when I travel from good hotel management.

Bottom line - It is a lovely location and very private. Perfect for honeymooners and younger families who value a more quiet experience. We would not stay again, but I would not dissuade you if you go in with your eyes open. They really need to get a shuttle service into town AND back even if it is just hourly. If you want more of a full service resort, the Westin is not far from there at Playa Conchal and we know people who have stayed there before happily.

Room Tip: Try to stay close to the main pool area, as some of the villas could be a good walk from there.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank FBG007
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 July 2014

This resort is really quite lovely. We loved all of the lush vegetation and smells of the flowers & herbs growing in the garden. The beach is great for walking & sunbathing, not great for swimming due to the volcanic rock. However, this feature was awesome at low tide- you could walk far out onto it and explore the tidal pools. Our villa was lovely and we really enjoyed our private pool. We were with our two teenagers and while it is on the more quiet side, the resort was fine for us too! The howler monkeys visiting the huge Guanacaste tree outside of our villa late afternoon were a highlight! Only two drawbacks were we had ants in our bathrooms...have had this problem in my own home during dry spells but it was bothersome on vacation! Also, the resort is not really walking distance to Tamarindo so you have to take a short taxi or rent a car. Overall a wonderful experience--staff were all so friendly and helpful!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family