“Returning Soon”

Tamarindo Backpackers
Fresno, California
“Returning Soon”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Upon our second trip to Costa Rica we made a very conscious effort to make this stay one that allowed us to make lasting connections and to get a real sense of the commonly used phrase in Costa Rica known as Puda Vida ( Pure Life). Our choice was with confidence and we chose the Tamarindo Backpackers Hostel in Tamarindo. Leaving nothing to chance I contacted many local businesses and asked them if they were to chose a hostel in Tamarindo which would it be? The answer was always the same, Tamarindo Backpackers. After speaking with the owner Anne of Tamarindo Backpackers during our reservation, I was left with a real sense that we had definitely made the right choice in where to stay in Tamarindo. We had looked into some all inclusive resorts, a few hotels and other hostels for our stay in Costa Rica. There is just something about a hostel that you can't find at a hotel. The sense of community, hospitality, and the customer service at Tamarindo Backpackers was through the roof & far exceeded any expectations we might have had or have received at any of the other places we have stayed throughout the world. We had chosen to take advantage of their private room with en suite which was immaculate. Our room boasted crystal clear flat screen television, enormous bathroom with ample storage for our clothes during our week long stay, air conditioning and beautiful artwork throughout. The staff at Tamarindo Backpackers was stellar, the front desk was welcoming, friendly and knowledgeable of local events, transfers, market locations etc. The house keeping staff was something to be marveled, meticulous and professional going so far as to create two beautiful swans out of towels and perfectly placed on our bed which was an adorable surprise upon returning to our room. The night watch/security personnel was courteous and friendly leaving us with no doubt we were in good hands as we slept. The other major deciding factor to our stay at Tamarindo Backpackers was the POOL!!! The pool is a good size and perfect for a quick dip. Our excursions last year were nice but with the help from the owners Chris and Anne we will be bragging for years to come about the adventures we had on this trip. Anne helped arrange all of our excursions and had great tips based on their personal experiences. There is something to be said about a recommendation from someone who has been there and done that and not from a travel agent thousands of miles away.

On a personal note I asked the love of my life to marry me on this trip and with the enormous amount of help and preparation from Anne, Chris, and all the staff at Tamarindo Backpackers, a complex series of events leading up to my proposal went off without a hitch. I believe my fiance said it best in that the proposal was "every women's dream" which without a doubt earned me major points! Thanks to all the folks at Tamarindo Backpackers for helping me make it the day I envisioned. We look forward to our return trips to Costa Rica and the only place we'll stay in Tamarindo, the Tamarindo Backpackers Hostel. As a father of one 18 year old young lady and another soon to reach that solo traveling age, their first solo international travel will be to Costa Rica, and I'll sleep just a little bit better at night knowing they will be staying with the staff at Tamarindo Backpackers hostel!

Larry & Christina

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
annietamarindo, Owner at Tamarindo Backpackers, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thanks you so much for taking the time to write this review. Both me and Chris were in tears after reading it. Meeting people like you Larry and Christina definitely makes my job the best in the world. I cant tell you how much fun I had helping Larry plan the proposal and we feel so special to have been a part of such an important day in your lives. And of course, we now have two new friends for life! We miss you already and are eagerly awaiting your return and of course hoping you get married in Costa Rica! Lots of love from Anne and Chris!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This hostel is the best I've ever been to. Such a warm & welcoming place & so clean. You feel like you're almost living in the jungle amongst the amazing trees & vegetation they have planted around. The rooms & the pool are perfect & the people you bump into visiting also are so easy going & friendly. Not to mention Anne who owns the hostel who is fantastic & Chris her wonderful fiancé who if you're lucky you'll meet as well! Ask Anne to take you out on a boat trip - brilliant! Can't wait to come back.

• Stayed December 2013
Los Angeles
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Very disappointed. Stayed here for 2 nights and it is so dark at night that you have to travel down a deserted road with no lights or signage for this hostel. The sign is small and can be seen during the day only. The sign was hanging upside down and no one fixed it yet even though they know about it. The bathrooms are not cleaned regularly and no fresh air in the bathrooms or kitchen. There are also no hooks in the bathrooms which makes hanging up your clothes, towel and toilettries a huge challenge.So basically you have to put your stuff on the toilet lid-yuck. This hostel had no cross breeze for any circulation which makes it very hot and humid and smells. We selected the room with AC but the TV satelite would not come on the entire time we stayed there. The people that work there are great and friendly the location is good but very hard to find or get to in the night time due to the lack of street lights. Recommendation for the hostel-install more fans for circulations, clean the bathrooms with bleach so there's no urine smell, the rocks outside of the room across from the kitchen smells like urine from maybe the Dolly the dog that lives there? Not sure.

Room Tip: ask for AC but the room we had you have to use a key to even get the door to close because the lock...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Hi Malia,

Thank you for staying with us and I'm sorry that you had some issues. I am happy however that you enjoyed the location of the hostel and the staff. I apologize that your satelite TV wasnt working, if you would have informed a member of staff, we would have fixed it for you right away.

I would like to clarify a few points. You stayed with us in June, which is rainy season in Costa Rica, the tropics. There isn't one place in Tamarindo that isnt hot and muggy at the moment. In addition, every single one of our rooms and dorms have air conditioning, only the kitchen and bathrooms do not, but both have lots of windows. I'm so sorry you found a smell in the bathroom, this must have been due to who used it before you because my cleaner works full time at the hostel every day and ALL communal bathrooms are cleaned twice a day. If one bathroom had a funny smell, there were others for you to use. I cannot have A/C in the kitchen or bathrooms, but I will definitely put a fan in the kitchen and hooks in the bathrooms, thank you these suggestions.

Regarding the sign, I spent a lot of money two months ago to have three signs designed and printed and they were both stolen off the street for the metal in the frames. New signs are being printed at the moment. Sadly there is nothing I can do about streetlights. We did install a motion light by the hostel front entrance. But I cannot put lights in the street on property that I do not own. The lack of streetlights on on streets near the beach is so that animals are not disturbed, especially sea turtles during mating season (who lay eggs if there are bright lights). All of the streets in Tamarindo are dark at night. We are lucky that Tamarindo is a super safe town. And I have a security guard at the hostel ALL night. We have never once had any guests have troubles at night.

For anyone reading this review, I encourage you to please also read our other reviews, 99% of which are 4 and 5 star. We take customer service very seriously and want every guests to have the best experience possible.

Many thanks, Anne, Owner, Tamarindo Backpackers
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Myself and my husband stayed with Anne & Chris in Tamarindo backpackers for over 2 wks during our Costa Rican honeymoon in December. We arrived just after sunset on the first day and were welcomed by Chris and shown to our pretty and secluded private room, with stencils of flowers on the wall and set back amongst the beautiful natural plants of Costa Rica. We were immediately welcomed by everyone at the hostel and sat up chatting, having a beer and listening to music and so started a long tradition for our stay!
The beach is a 3 min walk surrounded by trees where we were lucky enough to spot entire howler monkeys on the move together!
Tamarindo beach itself is clean & idyllic especially at sundown which then takes the already idyllic beach to stunning proportions!
All our tours were arranged by Anne and nothing was ever too much hassle. My personal favourite was the Turtle tour, if you can make it do!! Life changing starry skies that pictures will never do justice to, you can see the milky way!! Elegant turtles who struggle their way on to land to lay their eggs and if you're lucky you will see tiny baby turtles making their way back to the ocean.. humbling and amazing.
We met friends in Tamarindo backpackers that we know we will meet again and we know we will return to Costa Rica again but for now we give Tamarindo backpackers a resounding 5 stars and tell you all to go there and experience la pura vida! ♥ Nic & Mel

• Stayed December 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We stayed at the Tamarindo backpackers whilst we were travelling around Costa Rica. As soon as we arrived we felt at home. The staff were incredibly friendly and went out of their way in order to ensure our stay was perfect. The rooms and bathrooms were immaculately clean and the communal kitchen was welcoming with good appliances. The swimming pool and sunbathing area was excellent with a powerful out door shower. Having stayed here we wouldn't go anywhere else in Tamarindo. It was a wonderful experience, a real gem of a hostel. I look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed April 2014
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 April 2014

My girlfriends and I booked 5 night stay at this Hostel not knowing what the experience would be like... and it exceeded our expectations! Anne (the owner) was very sweet and helpful, she ensured that we get to and from the hostel and airport safely. The staff and other travelers we met were very helpful and friendly that we felt right at home. The hostel is situated in a perfect location in Tamarindo a quick walk to the beach, bars and grocery store. For the most part our room, the kitchen and bathroom were well maintained. And there's always someone there if you need anything. Our questions never went unanswered! We could not have picked a better place to stay a definite recommend if you are passing through. We hope to return again soon!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Santia V
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Reviewed 1 April 2014

When my buddy and i got to Tamarindo we asked around which hostel we should check into. The first answer we got was Tamarindo backpackers. As soon as we got to this place, we were greeted by amazing staff and friendly travelers. Within days we were well in our comfort zone, having close friendly relationships with all the staff members and other guests. I have not needed anything during my stay but any want/need/question a guest might have is immediately seen to by smiling faces. The vibe here is like no other, walk 5 minutes to the beach, or lounge around all day listening to music of your choice in the comfy hammocks or by the pool. I couldn't ask for better service and when i did experience some personal issues, the staff members took me as one of their own and made sure they did everything they could to help me out. Anne (the owner) and Chris are some of the most genuine people i have ever met. If you're lucky you will meet Daniel, a cool Venezuelan dude who works at the hostel and brings nothing but smiles to everyone. Not to mention his cooking, if you buy the ingredients he will make you a meal unlike any other food you've tasted. I haven't seen a single insect in the sleeping quarters, and the place is cleaned top to bottom daily by friendly cleaning ladies. Everything is within a short walk and you can expect to see monkeys playing in the trees above every morning. Weather you're staying for a night or a month, you can't beat this place. We will be returning for sure. Pura Vida!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends