“Tamarindo BackPackers Rocks!!!!!!!!”

Tamarindo Backpackers
London, United Kingdom
“Tamarindo BackPackers Rocks!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Tamarindo Backpackers is one of the best hostels I’ve ever had the pleasure of staying in. Clean, air conditioned and with such a cool and friendly atmosphere I would definitely recommend to anyone. Anne the owner will also hook you up with actives so there need never be a dull moment should you get bored of the beach! My personal favourite is the catamaran boat trip. Five stars, amazing stay. I will be back!!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I really had a great time at Tamarindo Backpackers
Anne and Chris, the owners, are simply great and it goes the same with all the staff.
They definately try to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.
The hostel is super clean and well located.
The atmosphere is really friendly and you feel like youre in paradise.
The monkeys on the roof and definately a plus.
Would go back at anytime
Thanks for everything
Lysiane

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I have never stayed in a hostel in all the years of my traveling. While I was looking for accommodations for my trip to Tamarindo this year, I came across Tamarindo backpackers and based on the reviews I decided to book a private room with them. It was by far the best decision I have made in my many years of traveling. The hostel feels like a home. The common areas include a massive living room with couches and a plasma television, an outside patio with hammocks, tables and chairs, a fully equipped kitchen and dining area, bathroom, and pool area complete with lounge chairs and an outdoor shower. Everything was immaculate for my entire 8 day stay, which surprised me because the maid had time to give hour long massages to guests (the BEST massage I have ever had BTW) throughout the day.

My room was off of the main garden area, had a queen size bed, air conditioner and satellite television. It was nicer than some of the hotel rooms that I have stayed in and paid more than 5 times as much. The staff was friendly and welcoming, without being invasive. I was really worried about the level of privacy in a hostel, but the layout made it easy to decide whether I felt like checking my emails and reading a book on my own, or hanging out with the other guests and staff members. One of the staff members, Daniel, completed his culinary licensure and doubles as a chef. He taught me how to make a few South American foods and gnocchi!

However, the owner Anne was the highlight of my trip. I was traveling alone, and had never been to Costa Rica before, and she absolutely took me under her wing. She showed me around, got me great deals on day trips that I wanted to take, introduced me to her friends and really made me feel welcomed. I will most definitely be back to Tamarindo Backpacker's within the next year, I miss it already.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I had such a great time I thought I would break the habit and leave some feedback. I met some awesome people there and Chris and Anne the hosts were a blast! Stayed in a private room at the top - super clean and nice. Of all the hostels in South/ central america that i stayed at tamarindo def had the best atmosphere. Highlight of my trip! Thanks guys see you soon

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Staff is very personable and attentive to your needs, and have all the resources right there for you to find everything in Tamarindo you may want to do from surfing, scuba diving, snorkeling, places to eat, night life, basically anything you want they have the resources right there. My fiance and I went turtle spotting, snorkeling, boat rides, hiking, days at the spa, off grid hiking and cliff jumping all thanks to the hostel. The vibe and atmosphere is very friendly and if you are looking to make new friends, you will have no trouble finding them here. Rooms are kept up and cleaned daily. My guess is anyone who has a bad experience or a bad review either have never been to a hostel before and don't know what to expect or are the type of travelers who prefer to be catered to every step of the way never expecting to carry their own luggage. Oh and we felt VERY SAFE staying there, not a single worry. :) Pura vida.

Room Tip: Private rooms are awesome.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Reviewed 15 June 2014

i was in the hostel four 12 days.. i did meet a few new friends ;) costa rika wass a really good experience to me, when i come back i will stay in backpackers hostel! its clean its safe and you can meet really good company i had the opurtunity to meet the owners they are super cool ;)
Tamarindo backpackers PURAVIDA!

Room Tip: they have aircondition in all rooms 4 a good sleep :)
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

My friends and I stayed in 3 different hotels throughout Costa Rica and this was by far the worst hostel we stayed in. The kitchen was disgusting and had pots and pans with leftover food left on the stoves and in the sink. There was a leak in the kitchen sink and water was all over the floor. The drain was also clogged. The bathrooms were not clean, had mud on the floors, rarely toilet paper. Also, when taking a shower on 2 different occasions, the water was cut off on my friend without any warning.
We expected a great time in Tamarindo based on reviews we had read of this place. The owner, Anne, was not there and when we complained, she was very apologetic and offered to have a maid clean our rooms, had a plumber fix the sink, and had a maid clean the bathrooms. I think that if she were there, it would have been a better experience for us but the staff managing the hostel while she was away did not manage the hostel properly. After the maid cleaned, the kitchen was dirty again within a few hours. Anne offered to move us to a different room with a private bathroom but the staff claimed that he could not find the key (only to rent it out to another group I people a day later).
We asked if we could leave the hostel and get a refund for our remaining time but the management would not let us get money back.
This hostel was extremely disappointing and I would not recommend staying here.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Padrienn
annietamarindo, Owner at Tamarindo Backpackers, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Adrienne thank you for staying with us and I'm sorry you did not have the experience you were hoping for. I am a little bummed by your review because we did absolutely everything possible to improve your stay. I was in email contact with you constantly. We fixed the plumbing problem the day we became aware of it, which is why the water was turned off momentarily. All plumbing is working perfectly now. We did offer you a more expensive room at no extra charge and you declined to move the day we offered it, which was why out was rented out. In addition, my receptionist and chef Daniel woke up early to go to the store to make you and your friends a free breakfast (paid for by me) to apologize for the plumbing issues. The hostel is a 50 year old hacienda and sometimes things break and need to be repaired, which we always take care of. Whenever there are issues, my staff and I do our best to keep everyone happy. I would like to point out also that you extended your stay by one night, which we gave to you for FREE. Customer service is our #1 priority and I'm sorry you didnt feel like we lived u to your expectations.