“Lack of service for Slow Season”

La Botella de Leche Hostel
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
“Lack of service for Slow Season”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Place definitely showed potential for a good stay however I think I got screwed. I assume they put a lot less effort into slow season. Arrived late the other night looking for a cheap bed and beer. It was reasonably priced however the bed had no sheet and I had to walk 100mts up the road to another hostel to get the beer. I'd just got into Tamarindo after a 13hr bus trip. Wasn't in the mood for going anywhere honestly just looking to crash for the night. Stayed 1 night wasn't impressed and moved to the hostel that provided me with the beer. Overall, I just wasn't vibing the place. The customer service ok and the people staying there weren't friendly wasn't feeling the love.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank CHLodge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

The staff were very friendly here, although one night the guy had all his mates around and took over the common area, but they were not loud and left at a reasonable time. Good a/c at night, decent sized kitchen, may be lacking in a few pots though, they do board rental and there is a resident dog. We would go back.

• Stayed September 2013
La Jolla, California
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Soo...this review is quite overdue, but I still do remember well staying here for a few nights during a long stay in Costa Rica...what a great hostel! Very welcoming to an international crowd, and friendly service...you don't feel like they are trying to get paid but more taking care of you...and as two young ladies travelling alone have learned, this counts for something. Very communal vibe in the kitchen and common area, and beautiful garden and clean. nice little pool, but we were here for the lovely beaches of course. Tamarindo on the other hand did not impress me, kind of a touristy vibe there. A local girl I stayed with referred to this area as "mini-America"...lots of English spoken and that party vibe...fun if you are into that, but not what I seek out for my travels personally. lovely beaches though, stay here!! safe, quiet and very nice staff.

Room Tip: we were two girls travelling alone and just ended up paying for a full 4 beds to have privacy in our...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 29 August 2013

My dad and brother have been traveling to Tamarindo for surf trips, for several years now. They have always ranted and raved about staying at La Botella de Leche. This past May, I finally got to experience it for myself. The place is great. A short walk from the beach and town, but far enough down the street to be quiet at night. The owner is very friendly and accomodating. There are private rooms available, and rooms for two people if you are traveling as a couple. There is a sweet little open air kitchen for everyone to use. The rooms are clean, and its a great place to meet other travelers. We made friends with other people staying here and ended up taking a few surf trips with them. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I very much liked this hostel. It almost felt like a little hotel as me and my friend had a private room. The bed was super comfortable, with a private bathroom and a little terrace with balcony and table.
The pool is also very nice and it's located close to town and the beach.
I would have given at 5 stars but the service here was poor. The staff was not very friendly and not willing to answer questions..Other then that, just a very nice place.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
St. Gallen, Switzerland
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I loved this place, the staff was really nice. It's quite small and all the rooms were built around the pool, which created a great atmosphere. One of the few cheaper places with AC. Rooms were kept clean.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Abilene, Texas
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Great hostel with AC that you can use between the hours of 7pm to 10AM and there is even a small swimming pool. The only problem I had (since I'm allergic to cigarette smoke) is everyone there was smoking (in the pool, out of the pool, in their rooms, outside of their rooms). Nice kitchen/dining area and a couple of couches. Every room had a hammock and table and chairs set up outside of the room. Very friendly staff.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple