“Wonderful experience!”

Guaitil Pottery Studio
Ranked #10 of 32 Shopping in Tamarindo
More attraction details
Owner description: Costa Rican pottery workshop and store. Local Artist Arbin Espinoza Guevara hand builds and fires all pottery onsite. The studio is open to the public every day and pottery lessons are available. Please see our website for more details.
Useful Information: Baby buggy parking, Activities for older children
Reviewed 16 August 2012

When my family and I re-visited Costa Rica after two years, we wanted to try some new experiences so we looked up Guaitil Pottery Studio on tripadvisor. After reading countless of wonderful descriptions about this pottery studio, we decided to visit it ourselves. Not only were there countless numbers of authentic pottery to buy, but there was also the opportunity to learn how to make pottery aswell. Our teachers name was Arbin and he was very helpful through this process. First he showed us how to make the pottery and then let us try ourselves. Although he had four people to help (my two sisters, my brother and I) he made sure that he spent as much time as possible with each of us. Our three day class felt so much longer as he let us stay as long as we wanted. Even his brother and his wife helped us through the process of making the pottery! Everyone was extremely helpful and nice. I will truly miss this place the most! By the end of this trip they went from being strangers to close friends.

2  Thank HannahRM
"classes"
"vacation"
"instructor"

Reviewed 10 August 2012

We made a special trip to Guaitil to purchase some more pottery, the road side vendors along the way had lots but just not what i was looking for and honestly wondered if i would find what i wanted but i did and it will be in my villa in tamarindo for others to enjoy as well. The shop keepers are very friendly and helpful in sharing information about the pottery and the area as well.

1  Thank 13bert13
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We were fortunate enough to pay a visit to this small community of pottery shops on May 12th. We spent time with one of the shopkeepers/pottery makers, and learned that there is a problem in the village with the tours that come through their village. The tour guides focus on Willy and Susan's shops in exchange for a gratuity, while the other shopowners are hurting for business. It was requested that we visit all of the shops. (We did not go to Susan or Willy's shops). I bought three beautiful pieces at a reasonable price, and hope to go back next time we are CR.

4  Thank skacian
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I just couldn't resist going to the Guaitil Pottery Studio again when I returned to Costa Rica in February. I had such a wonderful few days there last year, and wanted to make something completely different this time. Arbin and Trishia were so welcoming, and seemed genuinely pleased to see a "returner". The experience was just as good - maybe better because I could draw on the tuition Arbin gave me last year. This time I also met some fascinating fellow potters from Canada (Sault Saint Marie) and New Jersey (Cape May), who added to the enjoyment. I would so love to do the five day workshop they offer - maybe next year!?

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 March 2012

My wife and I have mixed feelings towards this review, we both felt as though it was something we were glad we did but also a little dissapointed with the attentiveness of the teacher. Upon arrival and during the initial day ( hr ) of lessons Arbin was very enthusiastic and seemed genuine about teaching us a little of his trade. This is where it gets tricky, from this point on the attention of the teaching seemed to be, I got your money, so I really don't care. This may be just us, being completely first time potter's. We may have been craving more hands on teaching. Nevertheless, we walked away with pieces we had created, feeling somewhat disaapointed.
Would I recommend this experience, definetly!! It is absolutely a great way to spend an hour or so between 3-4 days.