“Wonderful place”

The Oaks Tamarindo
Montpellier, Canada
“Wonderful place”
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We spent six weeks at The Oaks. The condos are well furnished, clean and beautiful. The grounds are perfectly kept and beautiful. The office staff was the best. Always ready to help with car rental, tour and restaurant recommendations, and with a smile. We recommend it to anyone that is looking for a quiet place. It is a little far from the beach but with a car or public transportation, you can get to the beach easily.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ghislaine_12

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Reviewed 16 January 2012

The Oaks Tamarindo is set back a few miles from the beach and the actual town itself and the grounds and the condos are designed beautifully. As nice as the condos are, the staff is even better. They really are a GREAT example of what customer service means when you REALLY need it. I couldn't thank the staff enough for their help yesterday...they literally went above and beyond the call...I was in a really tough spot....and they saved me!! Being in Costa Rica (for the 1st time), having your Debit/Credit card lost or stolen THE FIRST NIGHT, then having the bank (ANY bank) tell you that you can't cash a Cashiers check, until it clears 3 or 4 days later; it was, to say at the very least, "unexpected". I was literally "without a penny" and against a wall.
So, to make a longer story short: a Tico who happened to be "hitching" a ride with his friend, the driver, back home in Huacas. His name is Martin.
Martin, on my word alone, paid for the shuttle from San Jose to The Oaks, dropped me off late that night and came over with a Taxi the following morning to take me to a local Tamarindo bank to open an account, deposit my Cashiers check and pay him and the Taxi driver; we waited at the bank for over an hour, only to be told that I couldn't open an account till Tuesday (Monday is a holiday...my luck!!) and that they would NOT cash my cashiers check...a Wells Fargo check! On to Western Union.....no bank account here, no help!!
OK, my very last hope: return to The Oaks, explain the situation to the staff and management, and hope for the best!
I requested an "advance" of $260 and suggested that I would add $260 to the $1500 (for the 1st months rent) and THANK GOD...... they were the most accommodating, understanding, welcoming group of people you would ever hope to meet!!!!
They agreed to that plan....needless to say, my "adventure" was saved!!
WOW..what a first day and what a story!!
I just wish that the places I had stayed in the past (U.S OR outside the US) were as appreciative and accommodating as THE OAKS in Tamarindo, Costa Rica.

Room Tip: Take lots of CASH!!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Michael R
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I personally would say that I'm not the biggest fan of Tamarindo Beach. It has become widely turist-y, and honestly the beach is not great at all. However, I think what makes Tamarindo Beach a recurrent attraction is its environment. Lots of international people everywhere, good restaurants and pretty cool nightlife. So on the minus side, The Oaks makes it hard to live that ambiance since it's about a 10minute drive away from Tamarindo.
On the plus side, there are AMAZING beaches within driving distance, which makes The Oaks a great place to stay if you want to beach-hop, which is what I would recommend when you're coming to Costa Rica. A few places worth mentioning: make a morning or afternoon trip to Playa Avellanas, where there's amazing surf, white sand and lots of space...and a must to have a meal in Lola's Bar (known for having a huge pet pig, Lola, that wonders around the place). Playa Langosta is another crazy-beautiful spot, only about a 5 minute drive from Tamarindo Beach. There aren't many places for eating, but then again you're very close to Tamarindo Beach if you get hungry...and it's also a great surfing location, although a bit rocky. Playa Negra is a haven for surfers worldwide. And if you're up for a bit more of a drive, about half n' hour away from Tamarindo is Playa Flamingo, a nice place to take a day trip, stroll on the beach, do some good shopping, a nice meal and it has a great nightlife as well.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank MPiislo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2011

The Oaks Tamarindo condos form a beautiful set up in the middle of Costa Rican nature; this gated community has an excellent 24h security system and is surely one of the safest condo areas in the region. Moreover, the area is well maintained, both apartments and the yard with three swimming pools are in top notch condition.
The Oaks is conveniently located with short distances to all main beaches in the area, close proximity to supermarkets and a great variety of restaurants.
Office staff is very knowledgeable and extremely helpful, and willing to take that extra mile to ensure your successful vacation, e.g. they arranged appointments to me and my friends with a great massage therapist who -very conveniently- came to the condo.
For all these reasons many visitors -like myself- keep returning to The Oaks year after year. I have traveled extensively during my 12 years in international business and it's just pleasant to vacation somewhere where everything works. Other tourists seem to be noticing it too: in addition to Americans and Canadians, this year I met more Europeans, even a couple from my neighbor country Estonia!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Milla N
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 16 February 2011

My wife and I started our honeymoon at The Oaks Tamarindo and we couldn't have asked for more. The location is perfectly positioned within 10-15 minutes of about 6 or 7 different beaches, all with different character. We loved exploring the different beaches and trying out the local sodas on the side of the road and restaurants that we found in our guide book. The condo itself was such a great value! We got to experience Costa Rica as if we were living there (although for a short time) and loved it! While you probably have to rent a car to stay here, it is definitely worth it, and I found driving in Costa Rica to be quite enjoyable. Exploring the area was a highlight for me. Other major destinations in Costa Rica (ex: Monteverde, Arenal) are only a few hours driving distance as well. If you are looking for a home away from home, this is the place.

Oh, one more thing...a troop of howler monkeys were hanging out in a tree right outside our condo on the 2nd day we were there! We heard them from our balcony and walked over to watch them in action. It was such a cool experience!!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ATXtrvller
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 17 August 2010

I have stayed in the town of tamarindo 12 times in the past 10 years. July of 2010 I deciced to stay at the Oaks of Tamarindo which is a condominium complex about a 10 minute drive outside the town of Tamarindo. This complex is fantastic.!!!
The grounds are beautiful , clean and safe. The staff especally Alejandro were wonderful and very helpful. I stayed in unit 91,The unit is a very clean and well decorated two bedroom two bath condo with jacuzzi tub , oversized shower. Three plasma tv,s wireless internet, fantastic kitchen with dishwasher and garbage disposal. Laundry room with washer and dryer. Large infinity swimming pool 50 ft from your front porch.There is also a safe in the unit. This condo is perfect in every way. Although it is not in town and you need to have a car. It is centrally located. 10 minute drive to tamarindo..20 minutes to playa grande and playa avallanes.15 minutes to Brasalito and Playa Conchal.5 minutes to local supermarket.If it is your first time to Tamarindo and you want to stay in town I understand but if you a have done the in town thing and want to stay away from the hustle and bussel this is the place. I abosolutely loved it. Will be back 2011.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank jshubra
Atlantic City, New Jersey
Reviewed 16 April 2010

If your looking for a very relaxed holiday amid an exceptionaly manicured complex in the heart of Costa Rica's Gold Coast. The Oaks in Tamarindo is it !. Gated and secure it has three pools (Infinity & Lap) .This is my third stay (Unit # 57,82,79) all custom furnished in colorful tropical themes with every in house amenity. The grounds and buildings are maintained 24/7 by a friendly and attentive staff. Located within a 5min. drive to several beaches where the lush green mountain landscape rolls down to meet the blue Pacific Ocean........... Picture card views.
Fishing, diving, snorkeling, zipline adventures, jungle tours.......too many activities to list.
The area offers many great little outside ethenic restaurants as well as some fine dinning establishments. Either choice laid back and casual is the venue.
Tamarindo is a great place to vacation and The oaks is the place to stay!
Pura vida.