“Best Place to Stay in Tamarindo!”

Blue Trailz Hostel & Surf Camp
Maui, Hawaii
“Best Place to Stay in Tamarindo!”
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I don't even know where to start with my review. As a solo, budget traveler, Blue Trailz is definitely the best place (& value) to stay in Tamarindo! So good, that I stayed for 3 weeks in March 2012.

I stayed in the 6-bed dorms, and it's great to come home to a cold A/C room, hot shower, and brand new comfortable mattress after a day out surfing. If you are a budget traveler who doesn't want to eat out all the time, they have a fridge right in the room to store your food & drinks.

The two owners are amazing, both very personable, and ensure that your stay is as great as you want it to be. They are always around the hostel, and if you stay at Blue Trailz during certain weeks, they may take you & others to see the sunset from top of a mountain and/or release turtles at Playa Junquillal. As well, they are always open to comments & suggestions and have acted upon a lot of them, through their incremental improvements to the hostel (new mattresses, shower curtains, kitchen utensils, etc.).

The entire staff is equally amazing. I always had a great time simply hanging out with them at the surf shop, at the beach, or simple around town. Feel free to ask them anything including where to surf, where to go, or how to get around, what's good music, or whatever. The housekeeper is also very kind, and definitely works hard to keep the place clean, even after the place gets trashed the day before from pre-gaming or all the sand brought in from the beach.

Lastly, the hostel brings in a great mix of travelers, and for most part, we'd always hang out together and go out to party, to the beach, and to some tours. Each week was different with the type of people that was there, but the small hostel allows people to get to know each other well. Setup is great for both solo & group travelers.

If you have traveled to many hostels, then when you come to this place, you'll know that it's a great place to stay. I don't need to say more. Cheers to Blue Trailz!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank HurricaneHarrison

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
statesboro, ga
Reviewed 20 March 2012

My fiance and I were at bluetrailz last week for our first time in Costa Rica! The hostel is great we met so many awesome people from around the world and lots of people from all over the U.S. aswell. I proposed to meghan our first day there right in the middle of their courtyard and I couldn't have done it the way I wanted without the help of everyone at bluetrailz. Aleksander and Koen y'all are awesome!!! They took us to see a beautiful clifftop sunset, we rescued baby sea turtles, and of course fell in love with the PURA VIDA lifestyle!

WE WOULD HIGHLY RECCOMEND BLUETRAILZ TO ANYONE LOOKING FOR AN AMAZING EXPERIENCE!!!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Everyone here was so warm and friendly! True Costa Rican hospitality going on here. My friends and I had an amazing time here and we were very impressed by the amenities. Just as we got in, they were bringing in new mattresses! Such a treat considering many hostels think that they can get away with having subpar mattresses because of the price.
But seriously guys, at $12 a night being right across the street from the beach with AC, microwaves, refrigerators, and new mattresses, it doesn't get any better than this! The hammock outside was definitely a perk as well. The rooms were extremely clean and the housekeeper was so sweet even after I tracked in a ton of sand right after she cleaned the room (oops!).

If anyone reading this has already stayed at a hostel; this is as good as it gets. If anyone here is an avid hotelie sketched out by the thought of staying at a hostel, you won't be disappointed.

Make sure you talk to the surf instructors that work there even if you're not going to take lessons; both of them are such gems full of local tico knowledge that they are willing to share.

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Absolutely great place to stay. Really great atmosphere in the common areas and the staff were all incredibly nice and helpful with everything we had questions about. The dorms were extremely well kept. The surf instructors were really great and patient with us. Extremely close to the beach and pretty much everything else you could possibly want to do within Tamarindo. They even took care of setting us up with any activity that we wanted to do! Really great overall. I'd go back in a heartbeat!

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 13 March 2012

I had a fabulous time at Blue Trailz. All of the people who work there were so accommodating and sweet! Our mountain biking tour guide even put up with us taking double the amount of time for the bike tour because of flat tires! The location was absolutely perfect-right across from the beach and down the block from a ton of restaurants and bars. The rooms were nice and and came with a kitchen so it was easy to save money by having some groceries instead of eating out for every meal. The rooms do get a little dirty because the floors are tile so when you shower the floor tends to get wet and sandy but they're cleaned daily so not a big deal!

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 13 March 2012

This was a wonderful place to spend a week in Costa Rica. Everybody was extremely helpful and fun. Would go back in a heartbeat!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 1 March 2012

It's been a year since I was there and I miss the incredible staff there. Wendy, Marcela, Marta and Geovanny really make Blue Trailz. I found the accommodations good. I love how close it is to the beach (just a few steps away). Perhaps, my favourite area of this whole place is the common area. It's set behind the storefront (Blue Trailz also rents surfboards and mountain bikes) and is a really great place to hangout (it's covered and lit). I've met some incredible people there, some of whom I still keep in touch with (and I actually met up with mi amigo at another locale). Another fave, yoga. They offer yoga classes and retreats. Emily was the instructor at the time and she was excellent.

I cannot wait to go back to Tamarindo because I know I'll be staying at Blue Trailz again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo