“The best hostel in Costa Rica”

Blue Trailz Hostel & Surf Camp
Reviewed 10 March 2013

I've spent the last 5 months living in Costa Rica and must say, this has been the best hostel I've stayed at by far. Small amenities like a/c, a key to lock up your belongings in your room, and a shower located in your room separate this hostel from the rest immediately in my opinion (not to mention the bed was actually comfortable. This is unheard of at any hostel I've encountered). I took a bus from San Jose and was literally dropped off in front of the hostel itself. Staff was friendly, other travelers were friendly, and my experience was great. I stayed for one night and headed to Playa Flamingo the next day where I had booked a relatively pricey villa. Wish I saved my money and stayed at Blue Trailz for another night. Great work!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 5 March 2013

This hostel was average - it was right in the middle of town so exploring and going to the beaches was easy to do, but this town is VERY touristy. If you are looking for an cultural experience do not come here! It was similar to Hawaii. Lots of expensive hotels and restaurants in the area - dinner was 15 $ on average.

The hostel itself was okay - the room was big and had AC which made for a good sleep. The common patio area was chill and a good place to meet friends.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
bluetrailz, Owner at Blue Trailz Hostel & Surf Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2013

Thank you for your review. We try our best to make everyone happy at Blue Trailz, but appreciate that we won't be able to do so as everyone has different expectations and taste. However I'm glad to read that you liked your room and the common area as well as our very central location. Unfortunately there is not much we can do about the fact that Tamarindo is a touristy place. Nevertheless, we hope you enjoyed your time in Costo Rica and we wish you very happy travels for the future.

Reviewed 27 February 2013

Stayed at Blue Trailz for 4 nights with my girlfriend. We stayed in a 6 bedroom dorm with 4 other people at a great price ($14ea). The hostel is right on the main street, close to everything with the beach across the street. Met lots of great people and the staff was great as well. I would recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I am a guy travelling alone and had no expectations before I arrived, as i have stayed in many hostels in the past that don't live up to the reputation. Well, I can honestly say that this is the best hostel I have ever stayed in!!! I stayed for 3 weeks and in that time I imeadiately felt at home and Koen, the owner and the surf instructors are brilliant!!! They are super friendly and always there to help or just hang out and they really made my stay the best it could be!!! Another thing about bluetrailz is that for some reason all the people I met there were super cool an friendly and alway end up staying longer than planned. I've never stayed in a hostel that has such a great vibe! Whether you wanna chill or party its all good there. I saw a lot of people come and go in 3 weeks and every one was sad to leave. Awesome place, had the time of my life!!!!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I stayed @ Blue Trailz twice during my 1 month stay in Costa Rica because I loved it so much! Especially if you are traveling alone it is the perfect place! Great location, very clean, awesome staff and so close to the beach! I cant wait for my next stay in Tamarindo and especially at Blue Trailz! I hope everyone gets to experience all the wonderful things Blue Trailz has to offer and more!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 February 2013

The staff here is great, the price is even better and the rooms were clean for a hostel in Costa Rica (as long as you don't mind the occasional mouse). Surfers can rent boards for a good price and they also offer affordable surf lessons. The location couldn't be better for tamarindo and we met some pretty great friends here. We will definitely return to blue trailz

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 February 2013

I stayed at Blue trailz in Tamarindo for three days and had knew friends staying in the local "Backpackers resort" I can honestly say I felt that the hostel they were staying at would have suited me better. That being said Blue Trailz had many advantages, it is located a stone's throw from the beach and as such not hard to find at all. They offer extra excursions which include surfing lessons and rentals. Rooms are relatively clean and airconditioned although I felt like there was a constant odour of urine coming from the bathroom. Blue Trailz has a nice laidback atmosphere and there is an outdoor common area with a stove and other amenities which is always good to have. I did not feel like I got any exceptional help from the staff but I couldn't speak spanish and wasn't really interested in surfing while I was there. The overall impression I got was that they cater to the surfer crowd, which makes sense in a town like Tamarindo, if that's not your scene I would say look at other options first.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
bluetrailz, Owner at Blue Trailz Hostel & Surf Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2013

Thank you for your review. We try our best to make everyone happy at Blue Trailz, but appreciate that we won't be able to do so as everyone has different expectations and taste. We are a hostel that is for everyone who's looking for a great time in Tamarindo both surfers and non-surfers. From the other reviews it is clear that it is very rare that people don't like staying with us, but we would have been more than happy to find you alternative accommodation if you had told us. But glad to read that you agree that we offer many advantages at Blue Trailz including our location and services we offer to our guests.

Regarding the urine odor, you will understand that it's hard to comment on this since your review was posted almost a year after you had stayed with us, but at the time we didn't receive any comment, neither from you nor from other guests. If you would have told us at the time we could have looked into it and fixed it whether it was a structural problem or ask or cleaning lady to do another deep clean.

Our staff in the shop which doubles as our reception all speak both spanish and english and they would have been more than happy to sort out the problem whatever the reason.

You'll be happy to know that in the meantime all our bathrooms have been completely refurbished in October 2012.

Regardless I hope you a had a great time in Tamarindo!