“Really fun hostel @ prime spot in Tamarindo”

Blue Trailz Hostel & Surf Camp
Brighton
“Really fun hostel @ prime spot in Tamarindo”
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed with a group of friends in on of the private rooms, accommodation was nice and really good value with two doubles, bunk bed, kitchen and bathroom. My only comment would be the safe is not actually attached to anything so in theory someone could just pick it up and walk off with all your goodies! Not that the place was at all insecure.

Hostel is in prime location for the beach and walking to each end of town.

We had the surf package which included 7 lessons (these worked out to be quite expensive overall compared to the cheap accommodation and board rental) with Shaggy who was a really cool chilled out instructor. He took us to some quieter spots so we could hone a skills by ourselves!

Highlight has to be the friendly staff and guests, we met a really good bunch of people in my two weeks even if most of them only stayed a couple of days, and it was sweet to hangout and go partying with everyone.

If I come back to tamarindo I'll definitely pick blue trailz again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I've been travelling around Costa Rica for 2 months now and I have to say this is definitely the cleanest and friendliest hostel I've stayed at- the staff was awesome and they cleaned the rooms daily-as well as it was one of the most centrally-located hostels I've stayed at. I went with a group of friends, but managed to meet a bunch of other great people also staying there and I definitely recommend this hostel to anyone in Tamarindo looking to have a fun and easy going visit.

Room Tip: The private rooms aren't much more expensive than the shared dorms, so if you're looking for...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Kenora, Canada
Reviewed 19 October 2013

As someone who has spent a lot of time in first-rate hostels in ski towns like Nelson, B.C., I was a little skeptical about staying in a hostel in Costa Rica. However, given the other reviews on TripAdvisor, I settled on Blue Trailz Hostel & Surf Camp. Needless to say I was NOT disappointed with my decision. I did opt for a private room which provided two double beds, a bunk bed, kitchenette, private bathroom, plenty of storage/shelving for my clothes/etc., and an in-room safe (great for cash, passport, etc.). While I didn't need this much space, I did want a little more privacy and my own kitchenette for cooking (I am a bit of a neat freak so cleanliness is important to me). The room, kitchen, & bathroom were very clean upon arrival, and the kitchen provided all the essentials for cooking your own meals (as a caffeine addict, the coffee pot was a blessing!). As everyone else has stated, the location can't be beat--it is central to everything in Tamarindo and a few steps from the beach (which is why I also chose Blue Trailz over other hostels/hotels).

While at Blue Trailz, I participated in their surf camp and was very fortunate to be assigned "Shaggy" as my instructor for the week. Shaggy was very patient and helped me improve my surfing a ton! I'd definitely recommend him if you're looking to learn or improve your surfing. Unlike other instructors who simply give you a push and yell at you to stand up, Shaggy will explain what you're doing wrong and tell you how to fix it.

Likewise, the rest of the staff at Blue Trailz are friendly and always willing to point you in the right direction. Koen, one of the owners, was particularly accommodating and a great communicator prior to and during my stay at Blue Trailz.

So all-in-all, if you are looking for a place to create some great memories, meet a wide variety of folks to hit the town at night with, or to pursue your life-long dream to become a surf bum, I highly recommend this place to all ski/surf bums! I know I will be back!!

Room Tip: If you can afford it, I would recommend one of the private rooms (there are only two).
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Great little spot in the heart of Tamarindo, across the street from the beach. Close to everything you need - surfing and all adventure tours. Air conditioned room and hot showers, which is hard to find in a hostel in CR especially for its value. Owners and staff are super friendly and helpful. Have stayed there a few times, each time showing up and having other great travelers around making for good company and fun times.

Room Tip: Book well ahead, if you have a group of 3-4 there is great value in a private room.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Stayed there for a week in March of 2013. Amazing. Unbelievable owners and staff. Super accomodating. They went out of thier way during the email/online booking experience to make sure we were happy and had what we wanted, plus the entire time we were there they were more than happy to answer questions and give advice on touristy stuff, and were generally awesome to stay with. Overly talented staff. Amazing surf lessons, from beginner to advanced. I went there with my girlfriend, i believe it was $15 a bed, so we rented every bed in the room for like $60 and had our own private room/shower/toilet/fridge/stove/balcony. I would highly recommend doing this if traveling as a couple. Located right across from the beach. Great board selection. Right in the middle of Tamarindo. Car rental right next door. Food all around. Other tenants were form all over and amazing. Great social area for games, guitar playing, drinking. Like the title... Cant say enough good things. I will stay there again if i go back to Tamarindo.

Room Tip: if travelling as a couple, do youself a favour and book all the beds in one room. you will NOT regre...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Great location, almost on the beach, cool people and great staff. Stayed with a friend in the dorm which has a/c and warm showers!!! Definitely good value for money, clean and safe. Staff gave some great recommendations for food (go to Baulas for pizza) and nightlife. Really convenient that they also rent surf boards and can organize shuttles and tours. Will be back soon guys!

Room Tip: dorms are pretty good value, the privates are huge with 2 queen beds, so if you can spare the money...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 July 2013

The positive: this place attracts some amazing travelers, and I would recommend it for that reason. There was a constant flow of interesting, very friendly people that made our two nights really fun and engaging (even during the rainy season). The staff was also friendly. I wouldn't say better than other places that I've stayed, but nonetheless helpful. They will heavy sell you on the surf lessons, however, and I did find better instructors elsewhere in town.

I liked Blue Trailz, but the cleanliness factor was tough. The shower and kitchen both being in the room meant that the room was always a mess. And squeezing 6 beds into an already messy room was too much for me. The clear plastic roof of the hangout area made it have an undesirable greenhouse effect - HOT. Finally, the noise factor is way up there. There are several nightclubs close by so getting to bed early for an early morning surf or yoga lesson is tough. So, we ended up going elsewhere and finding a cheaper option that was cleaner, quieter, and also had coffee ready in the morning.

I would agree with some of the other average reviewers here. This is a solid option, esp if you are really into surfing, but you can find better deals in town.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
bluetrailz, Owner at Blue Trailz Hostel & Surf Camp, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and we welcome all reviews, which help us to further improve the Blue Trailz experience. However, I would like to take this opportunity to address some of the points you made.

You stayed with us for 2 nights as you had planned and opted for a dorm room. Although the dorm rooms are not huge, they provide ample space for the 3 bunk beds. Sharing a room also means that you might end up staying with other people who are a bit more messy than you are. Our rooms are cleaned daily, however, if you would have informed us that the room needed an additional cleaning, we could have arranged this.

During check-in we provide our guests with information about the hostel and the services we offer as well as the discounts available, including the discounts on board rentals and surf lessons. I am sorry to hear you feel this was too pushy. However, since you did not take a surf lesson with us, I am not sure how you are able to say that you found better instructors elsewhere.

Tamarindo has a lot of night life on offer, which could lead to some disturbance. A bar has recently opened near Blue Trailz and we are pleased to inform you that measures are in place to avoid disturbing our guests sleep. We have also recently completed replacement of some of the windows to further insulate the rooms.

I am happy to hear that you met a lot of interesting people at Blue Trailz and enjoyed your stay in Tamarindo.