“I have never walked out of a place until here...”

La Oveja Negra Hostel and Surf Camp
Reviewed 19 February 2013

The pros of the hostel is that it drawas a young surfer crowd. Lonely Planet gave it the highest reviews. We showed up to a dank poorly lit room, nothing like what we expected from our travel book. Apparently the writer for the book company was friends with the hostel owner and thus the great review. There were holes in the panaled ceiling and we could here insects or mice or something running around there was a cockroach in the bed and it was poorly lit so you felt like you were in a dungeon. There was air conditioning that worked well and the price was not that expensive. It is about a 7 min walk to the beach. They do arrange for trips to witch's rock which was a plus but overall the place was not a place I would liek to relax in at the end of the day. We canceled our room after paying and they were accomodating and gave us a full refund for which we were very grateful.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zachary G

Reviewed 10 February 2013

Although the location is great, the rooms are very basic and the showers/toilets are suboptimal. Only one sink and 2/3 showers work. The place is dark and looks old. Impossible to sleep in some of the rooms during party nights, since they are basically attached to the bar next doors. Good place though if you are looking for non-stop party-time i guess.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I can't say enough good things about this place. It's clean, fun and the price is right. The rooms are large with good air con and they don't crowd them with tons of beds like a lot of hostels do. Each room as 3 beds. I've stayed in smaller rooms with 8 beds. The bathroom has multiple showers and toilets so you don't have to wait and it's clean with good hot water.

My friend and I took the surf lesson with Wences who did a great job and we were catching waves pretty much immediately. They have a fun bar at the hostel with some of the best prices in town and great music. We only stayed here one night and then moved to a hotel on the beach but we came back every night to the bar. It's mostly a young backpackers crowd so if that's you and you like fun this is where you want to go.

The owners are fantastic, our hotel on the beach was robbed and the thiefs stole everything I had. The staff at the hotel weren't very helpful so I came back to Oveja Negra and they let me use their phone and internet. The next day Santiago gave me a couple of his shirts to help me out. How many people would go that far to help?? Stay here!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 January 2013

I was first drawn to the decor since it was colorful and the atmosphere was relaxed,
Initially happy but i guess first impressions lasts because when i saw that they gave us beds that were dirty then my happiness faded. There was a lot of sand on my bed... then we had to ask for the sheets. The room felt muggy even though there was aircon. I think the room just needed airing out.
A younger crowd hangs here.
Shared bathroom at least was clean and had a lot of stalls.
We then left for its sister hostel and we found it better.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dlyn S
Reviewed 26 November 2012

We have been there for one week. Took some surflessons, rent the bords and were in the bar next to the hostel. Everything was as it should be! The guys running the place where very nice and helpful.
It's also a good place to make party, because sometimes it's a little bit loud in the evening because of the thin walls. :) if you are in tamarindo it's definetly the best place to stay!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Oveja Negra was recommended to us when we were passing through San Jose, and we re-arranged our travel plans to shorten our time in La Fortuna, in order to give us time to stop in Tamarindo.

Oveja Negra is a surf-hostel, though not everyone that stays there surfs (my girlfriend and myself included). They do offer surf lessons, but they do not harass you about taking them.

The two guys who run the place, Menses and Santiago, are awesome. Both are very laid-back, good humored, and a lot of fun to go out with.

There is a large living room, with a few couches to enjoy their big screen tv. There is also a pool table inside, and a ping pong table outside.

The kitchen is big and they have two fridges, so you can really stock up on food (and beer!).

Outside, there are a few patio tables, and people usually congregate out there in the evening to hang out, have some dinner, drink some beers, and in general have a good time.

The rooms are pretty big, and cleaned daily by the maid. They are also air conditioned.

This is THE hostel to stay in if you are going to be in Tamarindo. Its well located, and is full of fun, social people.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ross C
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I really liked that Hostel. Good atmosphere, nice owner and guests. Very laid back and relaxed. They have a pool table, Pingpong table, big kitchen and big TV. They also rent movies every few days.
I had a Great Time!