“Good selection of boards and caring staff”

Blue Trailz Surf School and Shop
More attraction details
Owner description: Blue Trailz Surf Shop is the leading surf school and shop in Tamarindo. Come and see us for all your surf lessons, coached surf trips, board rentals and new and used boards. As well as your surf accessories and surf gear. We now also offer Surf Vacation Packages in Tamarindo. Stay at Jardin del Eden and learn to surf or improve your surfing skills with Blue Trailz.
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My boyfriend and I found ourselves wandering the beaches of Tamarindo looking for something to do. I've always wanted to surf and he used to tear up waves while at college in Hawaii. Just to be clear, there are no shortage of surf shops in Tamarindo. It seems for every other type of business, there are two surf shops renting boards/offering lessons.

But Blue Trailz stands out in a few ways. First the woman who was running the surf shop welcomed us in immediately. She was friendly, easy going, and great at making conversation while figuring out what we were looking to do. While my boyfriend surfed in college, he forgets that was almost 15 years ago. She quickly helped us find decent boards without insulting either of our expertise levels and prepped the boards quickly.

We came back the next day to rent some boards again and had a similar positive experience. Through my own error and another overly aggressive surfer on the same wave my foot got a small cut via his board's fin. I hobbled back to the shop with the board, not paying much mind to the cut. But both the woman from the day before and the shop owner were in. They immediately noticed my cut. They made sure to clean it out and provided some bandaids. Most other shops would have just sent me on my way, but these guys really care.

So if you want to learn to surf or just rent a board, I'd recommend this shop more than most.

There are newer reviews for Blue Trailz Surf School and Shop

Reviewed 1 December 2013

My boyfriend and I signed up for a 5 day surf and mountain bike package from Blue Trailz during our stay in Tamarindo, and it was nothing short of my expectations. Each day was a 2 - 3 hour session with Alex, our instructor who does both surfing and mountain biking, and our package included surf board rentals as well. Note that we did not stay at the hostel.

My boyfriend and I both enjoyed our lessons with Alex for both surfing and mountain biking. For both surfing and mountain biking, he was very much aware of our skill level and really pushed us to improve, which made the overall experience challenging but worth it!

I think from a price standpoint our package deal is about the same as other similar programs in Tamarindo and maybe even slightly cheaper. We ultimately went with this program because it offered mountain biking and I don't think the other programs had the same deal.

The owners of the Blue Trailz, Koen and Aleksandar, were also very responsive and helpful during our trip for any inquiries about Costa Rica, dining, transportation etc.

For anyone looking for a surfing / mountain biking experience in Tamarindo, I definitely would recommend Blue Trailz!

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Koen runs a great little surf school and shop! I've had my LARGE group take lessons and rent boards, boogies, and SUPs from him and we have been 100% pleased every year. We'll be back next year!

Reviewed 28 June 2013

After hearing great things about Julio, we finally had a chance to learn from him. He is one of the hardest working surf instructors out there, who takes what he does seriously and knows how to teach surfing. Julio put some boards on top of the shop's truck for my friend and I and took us to Avellanas, a great break nearby. I liked that we were each able to choose 2 different boards sizes. The trip was so much fun, he knows about the local area from the wildlife to the landscape and everything in town, and told us all about it, helping us appreciate the area we were going. The water was strong and choppy when we got there, but Julio worked like a champ for hours helping us get past the point breaks and into the waves (I can't imagine how tiring it was for him). They provided us with a cooler of snacks, water, towels, and power bars. We took a short break at the restaurant nearby and went back out and caught the start of the sunset while we were catching the waves, it was beautiful. Loved leaving Tamarindo for a day and trying another beach out. Julio, thank you so much for cheering my friend and I on, and being such an excellent host and instructor to us. You are such a delight. Couldn't imagine a better instructor in town.

1  Thank o_trip13
Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

My wife and I met a couple on our honeymoon that recommended Blue Trailz for a surf lesson. We had never surfed before and decided to try it out. Our instructor was great. He was extremely patient with us and has been surfing for 23 years. With his help we were both able to get up on at least a few waves. I'd highly recommend this shop!