“The Real Deal”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tamarindo
Painted Pony Guest Ranch - Costa Rica
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Loved every minute of staying here. The horses, the casita, the location, the pueblos, Kay, Mariano, the dogs! Wish we were there longer than 2 nights. We were able to experience some of the "real Costa Rica," and we will never forget it. Hope to visit again in the future!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
CRCowgirl, Manager at Painted Pony Guest Ranch - Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thank you for your kind comments. We try to give our riders a real taste of Costa Rican culture and hospitality. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

My family and I have been traveling toCR for 6 years now. The routine always leads to the beach, passing the small towns that make up the backbone of this beautiful country. That changed with out recent visit with Kay and estephan. They are the best!! They took us to hidden towns and were treated like a local. They gave us wonderful info on the local culture and even saw some 500 year old pottery. The best part is the beach is right there if you want. We will be back!!!!!!

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Blancoy
casaguahorses, Owner at Painted Pony Guest Ranch - Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

There is a world of rich Costa Rican culture and natural history just minutes off the tourist beaches. The friendly Guanacastecos welcome visitors with a smile and wave as we pass through the small villages on our riding tours. And of course, stopping at a family cantina for colds drinks and some of the best fried chicken in Guanacaste give riders a real "Taste of Guanacaste." Come back soon.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

I can't even begin to say how incredible this ranch is. My mom and I came here for 3 days and wished we had booked a longer trip. Kay and Esteban went out of their way to make us feel welcomed and treated us like family. To begin with, Kay is an incredible cook and provided us with the most delicious home- cooked meals including fresh, local fruits and vegetables. We had some very happy stomachs during those days!! We loved talking with her and hearing all of her stories- especially how she raised an orphaned baby Howler monkey. She is the sweetest woman!! The main house is beautiful and the doors were always open for us to visit, sit on the wonderful back porch or try out the splash pool. Our casita was just a short walk from the main house and was just as nice. Each morning, we were woken by the sound of the Howler monkeys in the trees-- that is a sound I will miss. Esteban was in charge of the trail rides and is an incredible guide. My mom did not ride but he took me though all of the quaint little villages, through the mountains, and across the most scenic pastures. He is a wonderful teacher of nature and pointed out all of the plants and trees and explained everything about them. We would stop in a small town for lunch and dinner and Kay was sweet enough to drive my mom there so she could join us for a meal. On our last day, Esteban spent time giving me a lesson on the special way they train their horses using Natural Horsemanship techniques. It was so heart-warming to see how gentle he was with his horses and how much they trusted him. This was truly an experience of a life-time and I can't wait to come back again,,

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
CRCowgirl, Owner at Painted Pony Guest Ranch - Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

It was a pleasure to have you and your mother join us too and look forward to your next visit. To work with Esteban on Natural Horsemanship brings our guests closer to understanding the language of the horse, and how special it is to "partner up" with these magnificent animals. Thank you for your kind comments, the ranch truly is a special place for humans and animals.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

My stay at the Painted Pony Guest Ranch was a great way to experience Costa Rica. Kay and Esteban are very gracious and accomodating hosts. The food was great and the horses are of the highest quality and very well taken care of; a pleasure to ride. The rides are varied and include exhilarating gallops on long stretches of beach. Would highly recommend this trip.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
CRCowgirl, Manager at Painted Pony Guest Ranch - Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Whether you are a single traveler or come with family or friends, you will enjoy the small group rides designed just for individual riding levels or meals prepared for special diets or pallets. We happy you enjoyed the new rides on the beach and on back country trails. We hope you can return soon.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

My daughter and I had the pleasure of staying with Kay and Esteban for 12 days in August 2013. I am not sure where to start, this is how to really experience Costa Rica. Starting with Kay organizing the perfect vacation based on my requests. Kay personally picked us up at the airport and drove us back to the ranch, finca Casagua. The location is beautiful and so perfect, lush, green and just remote enough.

The accomodations were wonderful, a large casita with a small kitchen and a wonderful outdoor shower (very private). The first day we went on a two hour ride to get to know the horses as well as Kay and Esteban. My daughter is a tentaive spanish speaker and gained so much knowledge and confidence with Esteban's guidance and help. He was so very patient with her teaching her the proper pronounciation and encouraging her.

In our almost two weeks there, Kay made us some amazing meals, and made sure she worked around our diets (my daughter is a vegetarian). Esteban took us on some amazing rides and was so responsive to our needs, a requested early morning ride, long ride on the beach, eating at local eateries, etc. The highlight of our trip was a day at a local fiesta and horse race in a small village, Tempate where my daughter and I were allowed to ride our horses around town without a guide and the visit to the elementary school where we brought supplies and got to visit with the children.

Kay drove us anywhere we wanted to go, including 3 seperate beaches, made a big deal of my daughters 18th birthday and made her feel very special and helped us set up a few of the larger tours such as Arenal Volcano and ziplining.

I cannot rave about Kay and Esteban and this vacation enough. It was simply perfect.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
CRCowgirl, Owner at Painted Pony Guest Ranch - Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

A wonderful part of running the guest ranch is to meet riders who come to love Costa Rica and it's unique culture just as we do. It was a peasure to get to know you and your daughter. She will be a great teacher one day and we were happy to help a little with her Spanish too. We look forward to seeing you both again one day. You can be proud of the work that you do and that you are raising such a fine young lady.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

Kay and Esteban have been my ranch neighbors for about 13 years. As you can see by the other reviews they do a wonderful job! What you get to see and experience when you ride with them is the REAL Costa Rica that most tourists, who simply stay in and around their hotel or tourist town, don't see. They take you out on the old ox cart trails and to the truly local cantinas. And if you are staying with them they take you down the coast to other areas where you can go for a long ride on the beach, thru the mangrove areas, etc. and....as one of the reviewers said...on horses that you ride...not a nose to tail thing. Also, I think it is important for people to know that the horses you ride are not just "tour horses", they are truly members of the family...big pets..and are treated and cared for as such.........not something you can say about most of the horses you would ride elsewhere in Costa Rica (unfortunately). And by the way.......Kay is a fantastic cook!
So, before I start to sound like a paid advertisement.......which I am certainly NOT...I will sign off. Just thought I'd give you the behind the scenes scoop! Hope to run into you if you come for a visit tomthe Painted Pony.....please wave!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
CRCowgirl, General Manager at Painted Pony Guest Ranch - Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2013

It is always nice for neighbors to recognize and appreciate your work. Horse people can understand the amount of work and dedication train and maintain animals in a humane and respectful way. We know you travel the world and Costa Rica and have seen other operations that operated differently. Thanks.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

My husband and I were staying in Tamarindo and went to the Painted Pony for a ride through the local towns of Costa Rica. Kay was so so sweet and Estaban was our amazing guide. He was knowledgable and funny and made the trip wonderful. My husband has never really ridden before and I hadn't in years. We were both comfortable enough that I could really ride my horse and not just follow the pack like so many other places.

Riding through the small towns and waving to the locals was really a beautiful experience. It allowed us to have a genuine Costa Rican experience. We also liked that people really ride horses in Costa Rica and it wasn't just some 'tourist' thing.

During the trip, we stopped at a local bar to have an Imperial which was much needed because it was sweltering! Then we came home to our rental car covered in half-eaten mangos courtesy of the 300 howler monkeys in the tree above where we were parked!!

Great experience!! Thank you Kay and Estaban for sharing your Costa Rica with us!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
CRCowgirl, Owner at Painted Pony Guest Ranch - Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2013

We are happy you enjoyed your time with us and could share our special corner of paradise.