“Pura Vida!”

Coral Reef Surf Hostel
Moncton, Canada
“Pura Vida!”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Hands down the best hostel ever, the workers are AMAZING and super friendly. It's super close to everything downtown, the bank, grocery store, restaurants, the beach, shops, the bars /clubs. I would go back in a heart beat. My experience at Coral Reef was by far the best experience. I had the best time ever and I consider myself lucky to have met Jeff and his staff. On the plus side, Jeff also owns the Longboards BBQ right beside it and you get 15% off if you stay at Coral Reef, good food and also a great staff. Coral Reef also has AC! Which was pretty awesome. I miss everyone and I can't wait to be back. Again, incredible staff :) MUCHO AMOR!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 23 May 2014

My friend and I just spent 4 nights at coral reef hostel and we could not have been happier! From the minute we got there the owner and girl at the front desk made us feel so welcome. The rooms had AC and are beautifully renovated! A very sweet lady comes in and cleans the rooms every morning too! It also has a great little kitchen that we could use whenever we wanted! Everything in the hostel is always kept very clean too which was so great!
The hostel also offers surf lessons for a very reasonable price.
The hostel has a Restaurant attached to it which you get a discount at if you stay at the hostel- the food there is great too!
Great location, central to the beach, bars, lots of tour companies and many restaurants and cafes!
All the locals we met were incredibly nice and helpful and took us to some amazing beaches that were nearby!
4 days was definitely not enough time there but we had the time of our life!
Make sure and stay here and you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed May 2014
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Jeff and his staff were very helpful and kept a clean & fun hostel. We stayed in the private rooms which had a double bed with a bunk bed, brand new AC unit (amazing and what a treat!!) , clean sheets , lockbox and much more!! It was in a great location, short walk to the beach and close to the supermarkets. Also owned by Jeff is longboards BBQ restaurant next door. It has some delicious BBQ and excellent service.
We would definetly recommend this to anyone traveling through Tamarindo!

• Stayed March 2014
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

I loved my stay at Coral reef. I arrived very late in Tamarindo and was travelling by myself. The owner Jeff personally introduced me to two sets of two girls also staying at he hostel so I had people to party with and instantly felt comfortable and had a local drink in my hand. The hostel restaurant, longboards, is excellent value and does an amazing pulled pork. My upstairs dorm room was spacious and very cool. Throughout the week all the staff at coral week went out of their way to be helpful and welcoming and would always recommend the places to party and would join us there.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Coral Reef Surf Hostel has everything necessary in a hostel—plus some amazing add-ons. I loved that it was next door to Longboards BBQ (amazing food!) so it was easy to grab food and beer. There are hammocks for chillaxing and the staff is super-friendly and will help you set up surf lessons (Miguel, the surf instructor, is awesome) and anything else you want to do. Also, the other hostel guests are totally cool and the location is ideal—two minutes walk to the beach and on a street full of fun bars and things to do!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

We're in a journey for 3 month. The second place we visited was the coral reef and we loved it! We left after two weeks to go on and now, 2 weeks before returning at home we decided to come back and enjoy the last weeks relaxing in the beach. Best decision! The hostel is near to be finished with the renovation and it is awesome! The relaxing area got more comfortable, they bought a new TV and there's a place for cars. Our friends working at the hostel welcomed us like family. I wish I could cancel my flight and stay longer! When you come to tama visit the coral reef and enjoy a delicious meal at the restaurant next door, longboard. Best in town, maybe best in cr ;-)

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I stayed here for about 5 days during my trip to Costa Rica last month. I was taking surf lessons from an institute down the street, but then heard that Miguel (the front desk attendant at Coral Reef) also gave lessons. So, I tried a lesson with him. Now, I regret having ever taken lessons anywhere else. Miguel actually cares and if you ask him to teach you how to really surf (catch waves on your own and critique your surfing) he's more than happy to oblige. As a local, he surfs himself everyday as well. He's super cool to hang out with when you just wanna lay in a hammock and do nothing.
The owner, Jeff, originally from North Carolina - he's also a good guy to talk to and hang around with. He will help you around town and also owns the restaurant next door... gives you 15% off! :) Everyone in this little beach town are beach bums and love the atmosphere that comes with it.
This hostel was recently redone and looks amazing in comparison to any other hostel in the area. I tried a few different ones before coming here. When I got to Coral Reef, it's hospitality and cozy atmosphere sucked me right in. I didn't even want to leave to catch my flight back in San Jose.
There are "rumors" of a spectacular surf camp coming later this summer. Plan on seeing me there! And maybe you too!
Pura Vida
Pretty life my friend.

Room Tip: The dorms hold like 10 people... So plan on staying with others. Generally when traveling in hostel...