This was my second stay at the Diria.
Last time, I stayed in one of the ground floor “classic” rooms – great value but views of the road. This time I wanted to come back and take full advantage of the hotel’s location right on the beach and booked an Ocean View room.
The hotel ‘complex’ is split over two sites, separated by the main road into Tamarindo.
On the ocean side are all the hotel’s main facilities - reception, restaurant, bar, café, small pool, business centre etc.
On the other side of the road is more accommodation, parking (for your 4x4 which you’ll want for the road coming into the town!) and, the highlight for our party, the massive pool. It’s one of the best hotels pools I’ve been to - never too busy, lots to explore, and plenty of room for everyone!
The hotel has a “colonial Mediterranean” style, with warm earthy shades, and blends in very well to its surroundings.
Our Ocean View room was on the 2nd floor (first floor in Europe) the best feature being the balcony which made the most of the weather and wonderful view over the gardens to the ocean. The water was coming right up the walls of the hotel garden at high tide so you couldn’t get much closer!
Tastefully decorated in a neo-tropical style, the 2 large double beds were big enough for all 4 of our party. The bathroom had a large walk in shower with plenty of hot water and great pressure, with a sink outside in the corridor area which was very useful. The air-con in the room was very effective. Additionally, there was a flat screen TV with lots of channels, minibar (asked at reception to have it opened) and internet that had to be activated at reception but was accessible in the room.
While there are lots of attractions and activities in the area, The Diria is also a great place to relax and unwind. We enjoyed superlative cocktails (strawberry daiquiri especially!) and delicious quesadillas with a cooling ocean breeze, watching surfers riding the waves.
The only negative point I have concerns some elements of the service at the hotel – I found the breakfast staff here rude, inattentive, and to have a real attitude problem. Unless you were a large family, or looked like you’d tip, they couldn’t be more disinterested - clearing the table, setting it with new cutlery, getting some coffee - it all really seemed like too much effort. Similarly, some of the Reception staff seemed to have developed this attitude.
It just wasn’t like that the last time I stayed here. If the management read these reviews, perhaps it’s something they’d like to look into and address.
Tamarindo is one of my favourite beaches in the world – the sunsets here are incredible, and it’s somewhere I love going back to. However, I think that now I’ve stayed in an ocean view room, I’d look at one of the small boutique hotels in the area before choosing to stay at the Diria again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel Tamarindo Diria is the iconic beach hotel located in Tamarindo Beach, Guanacaste, Costa Rica, with its own personality perfect for an authentic Costa Rica vacation. Features direct access to the most famous costa rican white sand beach, front ocean view accommodations, 4 swimming pools, 5 restaurants, 5 bars, and much more! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Tamarindo Diria reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Tamarindo Diria Beach And Golf Resort
- Hotel Tamarindo Diria Beach & Golf Tamarindo
- Tamarindo Diria Hotel