“Beautiful hotel, perfect location!”

Hotel Tamarindo Diria
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Tamarindo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Santa Monica, California
“Beautiful hotel, perfect location!”
Reviewed 17 September 2012

2 friends and I stayed at the Diria on the recommendation of another friend. We were not disappointed. It is, by far, the nicest beachfront hotel in Tamarindo. The two pools were perfect, and we spent a lot of time in the rear pool with the swim-up bar. There are iguanas all over, and the monkeys come out into the trees over the back pool in the late afternoon, which was cool to watch. We had wonderful service all around the hotel. The breakfast was incredible (and included!). We ended up booking our excursions separately from the concierge, as I felt he was trying to push us to choose a more expensive option, but we simply walked into a surf shop and booked our snorkeling there for less, and with less pressure. Also, the bus transfer to our next location would have been more than twice as much if booked through the concierge. (we booked Gray Lines online, instead).
The location is convenient to the town's bars, shops, and restaurants. We always felt safe walking the town, and the hotel has staff at the gate at all times. Taxis were easy to come by, if needed, although Tamarindo is so small that you can easily walk all over.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area, it was perfect.

Room Tip: We stayed in the back building, overlooking the pool, and the area was very quiet. It is across the...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ktschmatey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (707)
Reviewed 17 September 2012

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the Diria and were pleased with the overall accommodations. I should point out that while the rooms are nice & clean, if you book a "Classic" room, you will end up with a view of a wall and nothing else. I'd recommend splurging and paying for an Ocean View. They were nice enough to upgrade us, after they couldn't accommodate our request for a king bed elsewhere. The breakfast buffet that was included was fantastic and definitely a good value. There were a few rules that were a bit odd (i.e. no laptops allowed in the restaurant), but all in all we had a good stay. A couple of tips for people who stay:

1) Don't get a massage from the girls out front of the lounge chairs. I asked for a "deep tissue" as advertised and I am pretty sure I would have got more pressure from a feather. The girls in front of Witch's Rock/Eat at Joe's are MUCH better and charge the same amount. Maybe it's because they are used to surfers with sore muscles.

2) Stop by and see the concierge, Andre. He was incredibly helpful and called around to several rental car places in town to get us the best rate and recommended a really great restaurant for dinner our last night. He really goes the extra mile and even drew us handwritten maps to several surf spots and the airport. THANK YOU!

3) Have dinner at Tkiki one night - the fresh whole fish specifically. AMAZING.

4) If you surf, take a drive down to Lola's/Playa Avellanas (about 20 minutes from town).

This is my third time to Costa Rica and I would definitely stay at the Diria again.

Room Tip: Ocean view room, although the ones near the restaurant have paper thin walls, so you will end up fal...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Vauerswald
Brazil
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I had a great time at this place, for this prices I honest believe they offer for the guest what they pay. I do not think you will find in Costa Rica anything better for the same rates beach front. The room has good space, they are very helpfuk at this place

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Albuquerque
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Stunning atmosphere, decor,pool,restaurants,and service. Open your patio door and it is ocean within 200 feet, breath taking sunsets. You are in the middle of town, stroll to shops, restaurants, shopping,and lots of atmosphere. You are catered to in every aspect. Best hotel of the 2 weeks.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Robert_Mark
Santa Lucia Cotzumalguapa, Guatemala
Reviewed 28 August 2012

In the midst of our three-week backpacking adventure, we decided to splurge on ourselves for a night and stay at the fancy-pants Hotel Diria in Tamarindo. The air conditioning, soft mattresses, television, beautiful beach-side pools and delicious buffet was a nice change from the backpacker lifestyle we had been living. For the price, we got a pretty good deal although $135 a night seemed expensive for a Central American country. Costa Rica's tourism has just exploded in the past ten years so it hurt me a little to return to the country and see how much inflation has occurred. The breakfast buffet was impressive and the pools were clean and refreshing. The staff was friendly and helpful as well.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Potsdam, NY
Reviewed 24 August 2012

If you're looking for a place to stay in Costa Rica that is close to everything including the beach with good staff, great service and wonderful beach views than Tamarindo Diria is the place for you. My fiance and I travelled to Costa Rica this past summer and stayed here and we had the time of our lives. The staff were beyond helpful and our room was beautiful..right on the beach with beautiful views of the ocean. It's also close to everything including restaurants and shopping.

Andre, the manager at the hotel, will go out of his way to ensure that you are having a good time in Costa Rica. From getting us free drinks at nearby restaurants to printing our boarding passes for us the morning of our flight home he truly provided us with excellent customer service. His staff was always willing to help us from check-in to check-out. The room was cleaned every day, the breakfast was always fresh and the safety and security is a 10. If you travel to Costa Rica you must stay at Tamarindo Diria.

Room Tip: Spend the extra and get the sunset room; I promise it's worth it.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Marblehead, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I researched many places in Tamarindo before deciding on the Diria for husband, myself and our two kids (8 and 11). I have to say, that most of the time when you look at photos of the hotels on line, the hotel does not live up to your expectations once you see it first hand. Well, the Diria surpassed my expectations and I was very pleasantly surprised. It's true, the rooms on the beach and main hotel side have a "to die for" view of the sunset which was hands down the most incredible sunset I have ever scene, but I was told by other hotel guests that the rooms beachside were subpar. They were not recently renovated and were in much need of a freshening. Our room, however, located on the opposite side of the street from the beach and main hotel had a view of their huge and beautiful pool and was very nicely decorated. Also, (I might add), the AC cranked and we never had a problem with our room being as cold as we liked. The service at the hotel was also great. The fan in our room did not turn on and the lightbulb went out the second night of our stay. Within hours of my informing the front desk of the two issues, they were taken care of. The breakfast was buffet and more than adequate. Certain hot items changed daily and there were plenty of choices for all, even Plato tipico. The food was fresh and well stocked. There is a beautiful restaurant on the beachside where we ate lunch one day under these magnificent trees that were like Banyon trees. It was lovely and the ceviche was excellent. We loved our week stay at the Diria and to be honest, once we return to that charming Costa Rican surfing town (which we plan to), we will once again book with the Diria!

Room Tip: If you want a really nice room that was recently renovated with a granite countertop bathroom, new f...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family