“Best Hotel in Tamarindo”

Hotel Tamarindo Diria
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Tamarindo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Baltimore, Maryland
“Best Hotel in Tamarindo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

Loved this hotel. It was beautiful, clean & convenient!!! Staff was very friendly. Has 2 pools & is located right on the beach. Beautiful sunsets during a great Happy Hour. They offer free continental & regular breakfast in the morning. Near shopping, bars & clubs. Free Wi-fi in rooms. Also offered free international calling, although everyday you had to check to see if that service was available, everyday we checked...to our surprise...it was!! Had a great excursion desk & was super convenient. I would highly recommend this location.

Beach is not that beautiful, but doable. Rough waves, perfect for the cheap surf lessons.

Room Tip: The rooms near the pool vs. the beach is quieter. However, the pools near the beach has a beautiful...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

Great customer services! Hotel is really nice, next to the beach for those who want to surf. I did most of my tours with the hotel. They offer the tours at the same price of other agencies. Costa Rica was a great experience and a lot of fun. Costa Rican people are very nice, and friendly. The food is delicious everywhere you go! I really fall in love with their food. This is the first time i have visited Costa Rica and it was a great experience. Can't wait to go back again. This hotel is a great choice !

• Stayed June 2013
Westfield, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

My family (kids 6, 8, 11) stayed here for the last night of our six week visit to Costa Rica and it served our purposes well. But I'll elaborate on our purposes...

This trip was our 9th as a family to Costa Rica, and it was our first visit to Tamarindo. Tamarindo has never been part of our "must see" list as it always seemed a bit too touristy and we've been more interested in experiencing the wildlife and a more authentic Costa Rican experience. However, after renting 2 houses further down the peninsula in Nosara during green season, and realizing that an "authentic Costa Rican experience" includes a multitude of arachnids, geckos and other critters (along with all of the other incredibly beautiful flora and fauna, of course), I wanted one night that would allow me to lounge on the deck and walk into the bathroom barefoot without worrying about bugs. That was really the bottom line.

The grounds are lovely and the beach is right there. Beachfront restaurant - check. Multiple swimming pools, including one very large one with bridges and fountains - check. Sunsets - yup.
The staff is friendly, as is just about everyone I meet in Costa Rica. The rooms are small, but cute, clean and well-maintained. I did NOT see bugs, and that was lovely. The pool didn't seem quite as sparkling clean as I would have liked, but it didn't particularly bother me and the kids enjoyed them. We were very comfortable and entertained and smack in the middle of everything, just as we'd hoped to be on our last night. And the kids enjoyed the breakfast buffet, which was basically what you'd expect from a hotel breakfast buffet.

Tamarindo, in general, isn't for me. I didn't see bugs, but I didn't see much wildlife or nature either. Fun shops, but touristy. Smoothies made with syrup and frozen fruit instead of fresh fruit. The beach was clean and pretty, but not much surf to speak of and not comparable to the other beaches I've visited in Costa Rica. I'd say it's a good starting place though, if you're not sure whether you're up for the dirt roads and the more "raw" beauty of the country. Not a 5-star resort, but a very comfortable way to enjoy Costa Rica.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Ann R
Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

I made my travel arrangements to Costa Rica with the company anywhere. After booking my flights,( which I did my own) one of the travel's agency suggestion was tamarindo. My flight was a round trip to and from San José airport. After making the Flight arrangements I noticed that tamarindo is like 4 to 5 hours away by car. I already made the hotel reservations through bookit for three nights and my plane back home on the my fourth day was at 7:00 Am , therefore I called bookit to cancel that last night and make a hotel reservation near San jose Airport. Bookit did not want to cancel the reservation so I convinced my family to stay at the Tamarindo for 2 nights and leave very late the third night ( leaving st 12:00 am) so that we didn't have to pay for another hotel at San José.. Once at the Hotel I talked to the Manager to see what she can do for us ( Andrea) and she was so kind to cancel that third night and bookit gave me a credit . I was able to book a Hotel near san Jose and be on time for my flight . We did not have to take that long trip back to the airport at 12:00 Am , we left at 2:00 PM and arrived at 7:00 Pm at San Jose. Thank you Andrea and her Staff for helping me. I recommend this Hotel 100%.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
KY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

This hotel does have nice grounds and a nice beach but the service is lacking considerably. As we checked in there was only 1 person on duty and there were 12 checking in. We had to get our beach towels from the same check in area so as you can imagine we had to wait and wait and wait. I think you get the point. The breakfast was good but we had to beg just to get water or coffee. At the bar we waited 30 minutes for a coke. At the restaurant for lunch 1 waited over an hour for a hamburger. There is no excuse for service like this. Tamarindo is a cute a little town.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
northants
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

I'm going to start this review with a rant; having looked at so many negative reviews of this hotel, I feel that they arise from unrealistic expectations on the part of the writers. Costa Rica is not the US: the GDP per head is approx £8k compared with the US £48k (UN data) - it is a young country and a young economy which has prioritised things that the US has not even begun to consider. If you want homogenised 5* hotels with the ethos of a huge resort, then go elsewhere. In my experience, the issues raised are common to tourism in many developing countries in South America, Africa, South-East Asia and the Far East. To say that the breakfast at the Diria is inedible, for example, is just plain insulting - the cooked items at breakfast with the exception of the egg chef, were all well-cooked examples of Costa-Rican staples - rice and beans, plantain, etc. We have found that if you are courteous and respectful towards staff, who are after all human beings, they are unfailingly courteous and respectful back. During our stay at the Diria, the only experience of rudeness we had was from other guests, some of who exhibited quite breathtaking lack of care and respect for staff and other guests alike. Please stay at home and let the rest of us enjoy our holidays.

Now, to the hotel - quite simply, the location is wonderful. This has to be one of the best beaches for a holiday; it had everything - a bit of surf for fun, safe swimming, rock pools at low tide, wonderful bars, use by the local community, (including dog-walkers, most of whom carried poo-bags), velvet-soft sand, stunning sunsets etc etc. There were loads of comfortable loungers in the garden which looked straight onto the beach and adjoined it. It was low season, so the large and beautiful pools across the road were hardly in use. The room was comfortable and had everything required for a beach holiday, including a balcony with the sunset view. (The only downside to our room was the lack of consideration from the occupants next door, who were extremely noisy till very late at night on two occasions).

We ate only breakfast at the hotel as there were so many other restaurants to choose from in Tamarindo. The breakfast was varied and well-cooked. Staff were unfailingly helpful and smiley. So in all, we had a wonderful stay at the hotel and would go back tomorrow if we could! That is not to say everything was perfect, but which of us is?

Room Tip: Facing the sunset
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank flo-josh
Henderson, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

What is so funny is I read all the reviews of this property and all the complaints about the lack of towels. My husband and I checked into the room and nearly died laughing when we found only 1 bath towel. So funny because that just proves Trip Advisor reviews are true! Once we asked for more towels, they did bring them, but we wanted three bath towels and one kept being taken away the next day, then the next. We kept having to ask for more towels. I am not sure what the problem is.
When we first arrived we had to wait quite a while to check-in, as there were only two people working and quite a long line. A lot of people seemed to be unhappy, so we were a bit worried. Another issue we had were our keys not working. They didn't work the first time we went to the room and we had to get new keys two more times. Very annoying.
Our room was on the first floor and faced the beach. So beautiful to open your door every morning and be greeted by such a lovely view. The room was typical. Nothing fancy. It was fine, as we weren't really in the room that much. We did have a problem with a sewer smell in our room. We asked them to check it out and all they did was come and spray deodorizer. This happened almost every day and at times the smell was overwhelming. (Would wake you from a sound sleep.) That was disappointing, but they didn't seem to know how to fix it. The couple next to us said they did not have a smell in their room.
The breakfast that was included in our trip was fine. They will make you an omelet each morning, which was good. Fruit, pastries, etc. Nothing special. I had an omelet every morning until the last when we were sick of the breakfast and walked to Café Tico.
If you are looking for good food, get away from the hotel. The first day we were starving and we ate at the restaurant that is right on the beach. It was pretty bad.
There are wonderful restaurants in Tamarindo, so go out and explore and get away from the hotel restaurants.
We enjoyed the massages outside.
The beach vendors do bother you on the beach, but they do go away once you motion for them to leave.
The man that works at the tours desk was very helpful and recommended some good restaurants.
We enjoyed our stay. Wish the room wasn't so smelly, but it didn't keep us from having a good time.
This hotel is right in the town and you can walk everywhere.
Others we met were staying at the J.W. Marriott and it is further out and they have to pay a shuttle to bring them into town.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple