“LOVED IT!!!”

Hotel Tamarindo Diria
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Tamarindo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 24 July 2009

My husband and I went to Costa Rica to celebrate our 5 year anniversary and fell in love. We first went to the Volcano Arenal for a couple of nights and then went to Tamarindo for five nights. The Tamarindo Diria Hotel is the place to stay when in Tamarindo. It is the only hotel located right on the beach, with oceanview rooms. We loved that it was also right in the middle of the town so we could walk everywhere. In Costa Rica, the life style is very laid back so don't expect the service to be anything different. The hotel probably had the worst service out of the places we ate at but it was convenient. We tried out several different resturants along the beach and in town, they all had great food. The hotel's front desk was very helpful and friendly. We recommend going to the Secret Spot for surf lessons, ask for Rudy. We had an amazing time and Costa Rica is definitely a must see place.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,536)

Reviewed 23 July 2009

Stayed at the Tamarindo Diria for six nights at the end of a Costa Rica tour.
Arrived in Tamarindo on a tiny plane that landed on an airstrip in the middle of a field on the outskirts of Tamarindo.
First impressions of the hotel were very good and our room was large with wonderful views overlooking the Pacific ocean.
The beach outside the hotel was beautiful with huge rollers and the sand was clean and white.
The grounds were beautifully manicured and paths wound their way down to the beach.
The highlight of the whole holiday was the nighttime trip to watch the a giant turtle laying her eggs - a wonderful sight.
Tamarindo is a small village with a clutch of restaurants and shops at the end of the road that finished in a traffic circle.
There wasn't a terrific amount of things to see and do in Tamarindo unless you liked surfing. We had spent such a wonderful time touring around the country that to actually have nothing else to do but sit around a pool we found a little boring. Even so, we did have a great time, but didn't really need six days in Tamarindo.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anne D
Reviewed 22 July 2009

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in April and absolutely loved it. We had a room on the 2nd floor that had a partial view of the ocean through the trees. We spent most of our days in the water or laying out in the grassy area in the chairs they provide, there were always plenty to choose from and we had iguanas that would entertain us as we sat. The beach was incredible, the only issue I had with it was with so many surfers in the water, it sometimes didn't seem safe to go too far out amongst them. We usually tried to wait till there weren't many out there.
Our room was sufficient, there's a very spacious balcony which was great, the bathroom was pretty small, but no big deal.
We loved that there were restaurants and shops nearby. Our favorite was the surf shop about 5 minutes down the road, something Joe's. Wonderful food at a great price! The breakfast that was included at the hotel was really good - made to order eggs/omelets, meats, hashbrown potatos, rice and beans of course, and a ton of fruits. We ate dinner in the gorgeous restaurant at the hotel one night and it was pretty good, nothing too amazing. Our only complaint is that being in Costa Rica, you would expect to have free coffee (our first hotel in Arenal had some) in the lobby, but they only had it at breakfast.
The ladies at the front desk could have been a little nicer, but they were always at least helpful.
I'm a travel agent and would definitely recommend this place to my clients!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2009

We stayed at Hotel Tamarindo Diria with our two children (14 and 5 years old) and we all had a great time. Our oldest spend almost all day taking surf classes on the break right outside the hotel while my wife and the 5 year old relaxed either at the kids pool or the scenic pool. The hotel also had a very helpful tour desk which has a huge variety of activities to choose from. We went on the trip to the Volcano (Arenal). It was spectacular and well worth it!!!
The hotel has amazing ocean front and the rooms and the restaurants offer the best views ever.
The rooms are on the smaller side but as there is so much to do you won´t spend a lot of time in the room anyways.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2009

Okay maybe I need to elaborate a little. To say that I highly value the 7-10 consecutive days of personal/professional freedom afforded to me each year would probably be the understatement of the century. In order for me to live up to the adage "work hard, play hard" those 10 days really have to be special if I am going to offset the 300+ days out of the year that I am working hard!

Webster defines vacation as "a respite or a time of respite from something; a period spent away from home or business in travel or recreation." I tend to characterize it a little differently: Vacation (n) a respite from our everyday lives to a location whose unparalleled physical beauty conduces a state of mind through which all personal responsibility is left behind, all communication lost, and all passwords forgotten; essential for the complete revitalization of body and soul.

This past March I spent a week at Tamarindo Diria with a group of friends and it was honestly the best vacation experience of my life. The resort was highly recommended to me by a close family friend and after doing some research online I was sold. Costa Rica had also been at the top of my list of travel destinations and unsurprisingly it is now at the top of my list of travel destinations to experience again. The accommodations were great, the staff was friendly and attentive, and the atmosphere was very laid back and relaxing. If you’re an active person the resort is right in the middle of the action. If you surf or you’d like to learn, there is a consistent break directly in front of the resort. If you want some waves all to yourself it’s a just short walk down the beach and across the estuary to 5-6 additional breaks off the Playa Grande. I’m a surfer and I was blown away by how many world class surf breaks there on the Nicoya Peninsula just a short drive from the hotel.

After spending the first half of each day wearing myself, my afternoons were all about relaxation and the resort has plenty of outlets. The ocean side of the resort has a beautiful white sand beach and above it is a huge private lawn/patio that backs up to the pool. The grass is strewn with pool chairs and recliners and there are plenty of palm tress so you have your choice of shade or sun. Best of all the resort has a full time masseuse with a table setup in the shade and there were also a couple locals offering massages on the beach. I treated myself 4 out of the 7 days I was down there! After a nice long nap I generally spent a couple hours parked at the pool bar for some cocktails before dinner. The ocean side of the resort has everything you could ever want and more. But just for the sake of argument let’s say you weren’t totally satisfied with the beach, lawn, pool, and bar on the ocean. Well, across the street the resort has another pool with a swim up bar and sound stage overlooking it. My buddies and I had lunch at the swim up bar a couple times during the trip. The off ocean pool area is very private and was definitely less frequented than the popular beach side area – perfect for napping, reading, or having a little QT with a loved one.

While I stand by my original statement that the Tamarindo Diria was “the best vacation I’ve ever had…nuff said,” I hope the details I provided help out. I’ve already booked a flight to return in October for a long weekend to try and catch the tail end of the rainy season and hopefully some big surf...had to tell the guys at work I had a mandatory family wedding to attend!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank travelinman00
Reviewed 16 July 2009

From the moment we checked into El Diria, we felt like cared-for guests. The staff at the front desk was informative and capable of fielding all of our questions. Our rooms were great! They were clean, they had snacks, ceiling fans, small balconies, large mirrors, air conditioning, and we had 3 adults sleep in one room with two queen sized beds very comfortably. El Diria is, hands-down, the nicest hotel in Tamarindo. The resort is split into two locations - the beach side has a pool, lounge chairs, the main bar and the main restaurants & then across the street is what we referred to as the lagoon side. It had a large wade-in pool with fountains and bridges, a swim-up tiki bar (for lunch and drinks), and comdominiums and additional rooms surrounded this second area. The beach and lagoon sections were both extremely pleasant, different areas to hang out - it was really nice to have the option. The thing that I liked the best about El Diria was breakfast. It was served until 10:00, the fruit was amazingly fresh, and they had a woman taking egg orders on the grill. It was simple, satisfying and the perfect way to start my day. To be honest, I can't think of anything that I didn't like about my trip. The activities - zip line canopy tour and a river excursion - were amazing, easily organized through the hotel activities desk and I had the best time! I would highly recommend staying at El Diria if you choose to go to Tamarindo. I would go back in a heart beat!!!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank SeattleLady30s
Reviewed 12 July 2009

Fantastic value, and great location! Rooms were very clean, property was beautifully landscaped, and the beach was quiet compared to others in the area. We had a beautiful view from our room (small pool and beach). Our room was a bit on the noisy side at night, but not quite "party" level.. just traffic.. but that also meant we were able to walk to great restaurants and activities. There's a great activity concierge/booking service just up the street- we had bad luck with the hotel-- they couldn't get us into a rafting trip on short notice, but the guy up the street with the dog did. Every person we met was incredibly friendly and the food in Tamarindo was first rate-- didn't have a bad restaurant in the lot. Ate breakfast at the hotel, but never got to try dinner or lunch. We were out doing stuff the whole time and ate at different local places.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tamparob
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tamarindo
Jardin del Eden boutique hotel
Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel
Occidental Tamarindo
Occidental Tamarindo
#1 of 1 in Playa Langosta

Been to Hotel Tamarindo Diria? Share your experiences!