“Best Hotel in Tamarindo”

Best Western Tamarindo Vista Villas
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Tamarindo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Best Hotel in Tamarindo”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Both my wife and I enjoyed our stay at Best Western Tamarindo Vista Villas. We used the Groupon for a week both last year and this year. We hope that the Groupon is offered again so that we can return for another visit. We have visited a total of three times and found the Best Western was the most welcoming and provided the cleanest room we have ever stayed at in Costa Rica. The rooms were impeccable thanks to Jesenia, our cleaning lady. The Vista Villas are a great bargain, close to the beach and restaurants such as the hotel’s own Crazy Monkey, FT’s and Buen Comer. Both my wife and I loved our stay and look forward to returning soon to Tamarindo and the Best Western Vista Villas.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Tamvv, Manager at Best Western Tamarindo Vista Villas, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Hey Michael,

Thanks so much for the great review.... You do get a smokin' hot deal on GroupOn, but it only comes around once a year, so you'll have to stay tuned. Don't forget that we also run great deals for our repeat clients on our facebook fan page, so keep an eye out for those as well! Cheers and have a great August.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My boyfriend and I spent one week at the Best Western Tamarindo Vista Villas. I can honestly say this is my absolute favorite vacation we've been on so far. The town is a small little surf town and full of little restaurants and shops and the people are amazing! There is also a ton of wildlife, lizards, monkeys and birds are everywhere!

The Room
We stayed in a suite with a partial ocean view and patio. The room was clean and spacious and seemed somewhat updated. The only problems we had were the sliding doors leading to the patio didn't seem to lock properly and we ended up putting a stick in the door for added security. We also had small bugs get in through under the crack in the door but just a couple and it didn't become an issue.

The Food
The food at the Crazy Monkey which is the bar/restaurant located at the hotel was AMAZING. We tried every item on the menu and were never disappointed. The drinks were good and never watered down. I especially loved the mango daquiries! I've seen alot of complaints on here about the continental breakfast, don't even read them it was just fine, cereal, yogurt, toast lots of fruit and a different baked good everyday, what more do you need.

The Service
The staff here definitely made the experience. The were very nice and helpful and spoke perfect English. We had some issues with our credit cards and they were more than happy to let us use phones to get it sorted out. They were awesome with giving us information on the town and suggesting outings and excursions.

The Pool
The pool was clean and had a waterfall and swim up bar. The only downside I found was the pool is open to the public so the people who live in Tamarindo can come and use it and kind of take over. Many times when going up the pool all the chairs were taken and it was full of locals, which is disappointing when your the ones paying to use the service and there is no room or chairs.

The Beach
AMAZING and a 2 min walk its literally right across the street. Perfect sand bottom and if you surf, there is ALWAYS waves. There are great spots for beginner surfers (me) and the river mouth has bigger waves for more experienced surfers (my boyfriend)!

Side Note
Crazy Monkey bar throws a party every Friday night for the guests AND the locals. Hundreds of people show up and drink and party on the pool deck and ladies get drinks for free until the alcohol runs out. We had a blast that night and even enjoyed a fire dancing show they had. But if this isn't your scene they provide complimentary earplugs, however once in our room which was located right below the pool, we didn't have any trouble sleeping.

So Thank-you to all the staff at Tamarindo Vista Villas for an unforgettable vacation and we will definitely be seeing you again soon!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bailey M
Hey Bailey,

Thank you so much for the kind words! In all honesty, I must say that I really feel you have given us a fair, true and unbiased review. Yup, the property is most certainly not gold plated, but we try hard, provide a great, safe, clean, and fun environment with a staff that really cares about you and will go to the ends of the earth to help you out! Once again, thanks for the review and we hope to see you again sometime in the future. Cheers and Pura Vida!
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My husband & I purchased this hotel on Groupon to travel for a long weekend getaway the second weekend in June (my hubby tries to go to Tamarindo Beach every year to surf, I haven't been back since 2006). Driving up to the hotel from Liberia airport, I didn't think much of it from the outside, but from the moment we went into the reception, I knew that we were going to have an awesome time! The receptionist was so very nice, & informative, we were able to leave our bags in the reception area while our room was finishing being cleaned. Once we got into the room, I was so relieved to see that the room/bathroom was very clean, very cute split level villa, we had a little porch to hang out after going to the beach & in the evening; the hotel was a good walk away (maybe 15-20 minutes) from great restaurants & bars, and we DEFINITELY enjoyed going to Witches Rock Surf Camp that's right across the street from the hotel.

I would definitely recommend this hotel anytime you want to visit this great Costa Rican city, the staff were very helpful, starting from the reception, to housekeeping, to the bar/wait staff. Thank you for making our stay so awesome! Pura Vida!!

Room Tip: The rooms on the first floor are quieter especially on Friday nights since they have a huge party ev...
1 Thank SeminoleRN
Tamvv, Manager at Best Western Tamarindo Vista Villas, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Hey Seminole,

We are grateful for your outstanding review! You know, you really touch on one of our core values, almost metaphorically, I might add. While we might not have the most modern or luxurious property on the outside, you will find that we focus on providing people with a warm and welcoming experience once checked into our simple, clean, fun and safe hotel. Plus we have a great ocean view and are right across the street from the beach! Thanks again for your positivity and for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

My husband had gotten a Groupon . Something we never did . So at first I was very nervous . The price was amazing so it made me think it was maybe less than fantastic:/ I not only was surprise at the price! I was surprised at how wonderful and accommodating the staff were. Room was over looking ocean. It was clean. I did bring bug spray cause I knew we were going to a rainforest and may need this. I'm glad I brought it . No problems with the little guys here. We understood that it was important not to leave food out. And keep slider door closed at night. Great place!! Monkey bar was interesting . If you like to club then this is for you! Two bands lots of music and plenty of dancing and drinking . If this is not for you get some earplugs complimentary at gate! Be prepared to walk here.. Anywhere you go . It's on a mountain side so up stairs and hill is what you will find. Pool clean, staff great, and Trevor is awesome ! Enjoy .. Bring your bug spray, sunblock and have fun !!

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Dawn W
Hey Dawn,

Thanks for your awesome review! You are right about bug spray, no matter what you do, its always good to have some in order to keep the little critters at bay! Yup, is pretty much every review states, we are about a 5-10 minute walk to the end of town and we are located on a hillside, so the property isn't ideal for someone who doesn't like to walk. But being a couple minutes outside of town keeps the noisy street vendors away and the hill offers us some amazing ocean views! We hope to see you again someday and thanks for staying with us!
Westport, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This was our first trip to Costa Rica... We purchased a Groupon, and to be perfectly honest I was very skeptical. The price was very affordable (almost unbelievably), so I decided there was not a lot to loose.... Upon arrival there was a shuttle awaiting us at the airport in Liberia just as promised. We actually upgraded to the larger Corona suites which was well worth the little extra charge. Trevor was awesome... very attentive to all of our needs.
We hung out at the Monkey Bar quite a bit, and also the Volcano Brewing Bar, which is right on the beach. Anyone who goes to this property has to be realistic in their expectations. We went for 7 nights for around $400. This is not a JW Marriot property, however the location is perfect, and the staff more than make up for the lack of amenities. We have every intention of returning next year, and will stay in the same room if it is available...
Do not believe the complainers.....

Room Tip: We were in the room directly above the pool. Friday night brings a party (which we attended) so the...
Hey Gary,

Thanks for your great review! We do our very best to keep everything up and running and put our hearts into making this a great place for people to enjoy our little slice of paradise. We can't wait for you to come back, and stay happy until then!
Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My wife and I checked into the BW Vista Villa in Tamarindo when our condo arrangements fell through. We ended up staying four nights. It was a miserable experience.

Pros: Overall great staff, pet friendly, and nice pool area.

Cons: Teeny tiny uncomfortable rooms, and noisy.

Size -- I've never seen a standard hotel room this small. You literally had to enter, then close, the bathroom door to get to the sink. There was not enough room for two persons to pass the end or one side of the bed at the same time.

Noise -- On Friday nights, the hotel sponsors a "Ladies' Night" that begins at 10:00 PM and ends at 2:00 AM. During this entire period, loud speakers are blasting music at full volume. The staff warned us of the event, but it did not reduce our bill despite a completely sleepless night. But, my noise complaint doesn't stop there. All day on Saturday, the room next to us was under construction. Tile saws, hammering, music and loud talking. This started at 7:15 AM and resumed again Monday morning at the same time. At 4:15 AM on Sunday night, we could here the early staff gearing up for the day with loud laughing and talking.

Also, be careful. If you charge food or beverage to your room, the receipts can be easily misread and, where you think you are entering "total" you are actually entering "Extra Tips." In fairness, once I caught the mistake I was making and brought it to the attention of the front desk, they corrected this. But, I made this mistake three times and none of the bar staff corrected me when it was (or should have been) apparent that I was not tipping $25 on a $25 lunch, especially since tips are included as part of the charge. That was upsetting until I got it resolved.

Room Tip: Avoid 201 and 208 at all costs!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank James N
Hey James,

We are really sorry to hear about your “miserable experience” during your stay with us, but we feel like your review might not be completely objective and that a few of your descriptions might be slightly exaggerated.

For instance, insinuating that our bar and restaurant staff are dishonest because you entered in an above average tip is a little unfair. We have never received a comment like this before, because, in fact, there are generous people in the world and we have had people leave upwards of $100 tips on smaller bills. I mean, it really isn’t fair to blame a waitperson for this mistake and our receipts are pretty straight forward. I am reviewing one right now and there is a line that says “sub total” followed by an amount, then a line that says “Sales Tax” followed by an amount, a third line that says “10% service” followed by an amount, and finally a line that says “Gran Total” followed by an amount. Below the “Grand Total” line, you find the text “EXTRA TIPS” followed by a blank line, leaving space for a tip to be written in. We are curious as to how much more clarity you could hope for on a restaurant receipt? And you even mention that once you realized what the line did say, our reception staff removed the charges… So what’s the big fuss?

Secondly, as you may or may not know, hotels are in constant need of maintenance and updates. Sometimes these types of activities require noise as in hammering and sawing. In this particular case, we are pretty sure that you are talking about the two days in which we had to replace all of the ceramic tile in the bathroom of on our ocean view rooms. As you can imagine, working with tile requires the use of hammers and chisels to remove old tile and saws to cut the new tile to size. However, we do have a no-noise policy instructing employees to not create noise before 9am and to work on quiet activities such as painting before then.
Now, I must admit, we have never instructed employees to not speak during those hours, so we will get working on that once we figure out how to train people in mind reading (ok, so I think I’m the one exaggerating now... sign language would be more plausible)

As for our “early staff gearing up for the day” at 4:15AM? Well, we do have some great employees, however, the earliest morning shift starts at 6:00AM, so if we have employees showing up at 4:15AM for the 6:00AM shift, we would probably name them as the employees of the month..… And then tell them never to laugh while at work and to only use their newly acquired sign language skills in order to not talk.

Finally as far as our Ladies Night event goes, we do our best to communicate this to all of our guests before they make a reservation and, to be honest, we have a lot of people who specifically stay in the hotel to attend the event! For those who do not wish to partake, we post this information on our website, on our reservation confirmation, on our facebook page, on our hotel policies page (which is given to you when you check-in), on a notice the same day as the event, and, when possible, verbally when the reservation is made on the telephone or directly in reception…. Not to mention the fact that the information is posted here on the Trip Advisor probably close to a million times (ok, I know, I continue to exaggerate).

So, once again, we are sorry that you did not have the stay that you were hoping to have, and we would honestly like to see you again and would like to do whatever we can to make you a happy customer! Until then, stay warm up there in Colorado!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I highly recommend this hotel! It's location is prime, walking distance to the beach! Great service and hospitality! Geisel at the reception was great and very friendly! Our room was nice, very clean and good space! The surroundings were amazing, spectacular views! The pool and bar area are great and it has one of the best views of Tamarindo!

• Stayed May 2014
Tamvv, Manager at Best Western Tamarindo Vista Villas, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Hi Lizminnette,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a great review. We really appreciate you coming to visit us and hope to see you again soon! We will keep the sun warm and the drinks cool for you until then. Cheers and have a great week!