“Great spot, Fantastic Surf, Top Notch Service”

BEST WESTERN Tamarindo Vista Villas
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Tamarindo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Bermuda
“Great spot, Fantastic Surf, Top Notch Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2009

I just spent 9 days at the hotel and had a great time. I'm surfer without a huge budget and this was the right hotel to stay at. My friends and I stayed in one of the suites which had tv, air conditioning, a kitchen and a porch with a view of the Tamarindo river mouth surf spot. The room comfortably slept the three of us and the maid staff was extremely nice and trustworthy. We had no problem leaving our electronics and other expensive things in our room. The hotel also had a great continental breakfast before early morning surf sessions. We often ate at the hotel's restaurant which had a pool and amazing views over the Tamarindo surf scene and beaches. The food was delicious and filling. Cheap beers. The highlight of the trip was our Costa Rican Surf Guide provided by the hotel, named Johnathan. When we arrived he helped us rent boards ( we needed to rent boards because the airlines are to expensive these days to bring our own). I rented an awesome firewire for 10 bucks a day and surfed it for all nine days. Johnathan was a necessity on this trip because were we amateurs to the Costa Rica surf scene. He was also very affordable. He took us to all the surf spots that were good each day after he had looked at the swell and wind reports and checking the tides. If your a real surfer you would follow Johnathan's advice to the minute because he was always right. We would wake up whenever necessary (sometimes at five in the morning) to find the best waves that day, although if we wanted a sleep in Johnathan would find waves for us at whatever time of day. He drove in a car with us and surfed all the spots with us. He also guided us on local shortcuts to all the surfspots, spots that otherwise were impossible to find. He spoke perfect english and was able to find surf by talking to his friends when the waves were down at a particular spot. He is a very personable guy and a good person to take you surfing. I really enjoyed my trip and and stay at the hotel. I feel that I got all the best waves Costa Rica had to offer while I was there. I will for sure go back and surf with my friend Johnathan.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Hebrew first
Blaksburg, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2009

We had a great time in Tamarindo thanks to all the people at Tamrindo Vista Villas. Low season is definitely the time to visit. The concierge repeatedly went above and beyond any expectations. More than just giving recommendations to nearby activities, he would personally take us out to the local surf spots and show us great local (cheap) spots to eat. He even took us to a cookout at his friend's house. Not some touristy luau with fire and dancers, but a real laid-back cookout with some great people.
In the evenings, on the hilltop terrace, perched above all of Tamarindo Beach and Playa Grande, Vista Villas has the absolute best view of the spectacular Costa Rican sunsets. After sunset, the hotel manager, a fine gentleman, would lead us to some of the hottest nightspots in the area... after buying a few rounds, of course.
In the morning, its the perfect spot for checking out the surf with a cup of coffee served up by any one of the lovely morning staffers at the restaurant. Truly it was a great experience. It was great meeting everyone. Everybody who stays in Tamarindo should start their vacation at Vista Villas. It's the perfect place to get oriented and informed about the area's offerings.

• Stayed May 2009
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2009

This was our (my wife and I are 58 year old retirees) first trip to Costa Rica and chose Vista Villas on our son's recommendation. He is a 27 year old non-surfer that has stayed here four times. We have experienced accommodations ranging from five-star resorts in Hawaii to primitive housing in the Marshall Islands. After reading other reviews, we felt compelled to share our experience at this property. To begin with, we felt safe and secure at all times at Vista Villas due to the staff's attention to this subject. You could see that this is a high priority on their part. All of the staff, including house-keeping, maintenance, gardeners, kitchen personnel, bartenders, servers, as well as office management were extremely friendly, helpful, and genuinely caring about our stay with them the entire five days. Our basic room was impeccably clean and serviced each day. The view from our balcony was breathtaking; the ocean, beach, and mountains during the day, and the sunset at night. The inclusive continental breakfast of fresh fruits, juices, yogurt, cereals, toast, and coffee was enjoyed each morning on the terrace of the open-air restaurant with the same gorgeous view as previously stated, as well as the flowery grounds. A special thanks to Andrea, Joyce, Maritta, Sonia, Ivania, Jeanette,Pablo, Kevin, Jeff and other staff that made our stay most enjoyable!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2009

Best Western is the Best! The suite was large and the view was something unbelievable. I would definitely return to Vista Villas on my next trip. The staff was friendly and so eager to please. I mean everyone we encountered delivered great service. They arranged all of our adventures and it could not have been easier. We felt very welcome. Vista Villas has hot water, clean rooms, good food, great pool, great view and warm friendly people. The only thing wrong was our week went to quickly!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
Guelph
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2009

Overall this is not a bad hotel. Large rooms with good view. There is better value to be had at other places in town. We paid $125 US per night for a large room with an extra bedroom. Not bad. It's not a great facility, but it's a good surfer hotel.

I do have a serious complaint. I could hear Scarlet Macaws from our room, but didn't see any in the trees. The website shows a beautiful picture of a Scarlet Macaw sitting on a branch. Later that day I noticed some cages up the hill from our room. I discovered several Macaws, ducks, a peacock and some small green parrots in various cages. Some of the birds were in poor shape (missing feathers, toes, etc). I thought it must be a sanctuary for injured birds or something like that. I asked three seperate staff members and they simply said they belong to the owner and he has a permit to keep them. One even said it was a zoo. Funny, they don't advertise a zoo. I asked if they were injured when they were brought to the hotel and the reception desk employee told me "no, they were all very healthy when they got here". So, the hotel keeps a hidden zoo in a remote part of the property and these beautiful birds are in cages, obviously not treated well. See photos.

Perhaps the staff are misinformed, but I did ask three of them in seperate situations and got the same answer. The cages were not small, but I see no point in a hotel keeping these animals caged when the population of Macaws in this country has been greatly depleted.

For this reason alone, I could not stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — view of the ocean, large room
  • Disliked — the hotel kept Scarlet Macaws in cages
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2009

This was our first visit to Costa Rica and it was enjoyable! The hotel staff were very friendly. The girls that work at the bar Joyce, Sophia and two other girls were very friendly and we enjoyed talking to them. We had the best view from our room and even enjoyed listening to the birds outside of the bathroom window. The food and drinks are excellent and are reasonably priced. I would recommend this hotel for several reasons, but I also think you should keep in mind this area is a very relaxed area to visit and you are living among the locals which is a unique experience. The thumbs down would be Ladies night on Friday's gets loud til late at night.

• Liked — Great Bar and Great Staff
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2009

We didn't book this hotel in advance we just arrived in Tamarindo and thought it would be a good place to stay because it's a Best Western. Don't expect regular Best Western standards. The rooms we were given were very unclean. We rented two rooms. Our room had dirty finger prints all along the walls of the single bed. The pillow case on the single bed had bugs all over it. Our door had obviously been broken into several times and not repaired properly. In the second room, the single bed was not even made. It also had bugs all over the bed. Our friends put their bags on the bed and they were full of bugs the next day. Note: If you have any problems, make sure to talk to management right away. It was late when we arrived and we only stayed 1 night so we complained when we got home and they were not helpful. They said we should have said something right away. Probably the worst hotel we stayed at in all of Costa Rica and it was one of the pricier ones. It does have a good view though!

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The rooms
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends