“Great place, close to beach and restaurants”
Review of Hotel Nahua

Hotel Nahua
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Tamarindo
Brooklyn, New York
“Great place, close to beach and restaurants”
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I stayed here for a few days in August 2013 and it was a perfect escape from reality. My room was quiet and clean, the hotel has a beautiful private pool, and the location was great - steps away from restaurants and only a short walk to the beach. There is also an ATM and supermarket nearby. My room had a kitchen, so I was able to make my own breakfast before heading to the beach.

As a solo female traveler I'm very safety-conscious, but I had no concerns while staying here. There's only one main entrance off the street, and at night there is a security guard to make sure only guests are coming in.

Gita and Gabriela were incredibly friendly and helpful. They arranged my transportation to and from the airport, recommended an instructor for a private surfing lesson, and gave great suggestions for activities and restaurants in the area. Lovely women!

I would definitely stay here again. I thought it was great value for the money I paid. There is also a bit of a discount if you pay in cash vs. credit card.

Room Tip: Go for one of the apartment-style rooms with a kitchen.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank BK_and_on

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I stayed and Nahua for 10 days and it was a delight !

The owner was great, friendly, and eager to help. The property is quaint and close to the beach and has a lovely pool, landscape with lots of sunlight.

Room Tip: The rooms facing onto the courtyard are best with the natural light and landscape.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Court s
New York
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a few days by myself, it was very clean, super friendly staff, very reasonably priced, and the pool was so perfect. The only thing one might not like, is that it's a 5 minute walk from the beach, but c'mon, it's only 5 minutes. Definitely worth checking this place out.

Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
San Diego, California
Reviewed 10 January 2014

This is a small hotel run by its owner and a very small staff, has more a feeling of staying at a guest house than of a regular hotel... swimming pool is great, we saw iguanas and monkeys in the property. We booked a 2 level room with a kitchen; we were 5 people and there were 4 beds so they gave us a mattress for the extra occupant. We ran out of water for about 12 hours due to a break in the water line that feeds the hotel. Looks like Tamarindo is growing beyond the carring capacity of its water supply. There is a place for charcoal cooking with grills and a nearby table which we enjoyed cooking under the stars, the owner's dogs and cat were very friendly and well trained... in few words, the place felt like home.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Alberto P
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 January 2014

The pros are that Gabriela and the staff are very nice and helpful. They respond very quickly via email and were able to book tours for us when we got there. The pool was lovely. I enjoyed having such a large apartment to stay in. It was a peaceful and relaxing atmosphere.

The cons are that on Wednesday nights, the bar across the street has an excruciatingly loud karaoke night which makes it impossible to sleep before midnight. This isn't the hotel's fault, but it's pretty annoying. I wish they had more information about tours and brochures and such in the main office. I also wish the room had more light. The room we had was really dusty. I thought they could have done a better job cleaning.

Overall, I would recommend it for a few nights. The staff is very sweet, and it's close to some great food options and the beach.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
San Diego
Reviewed 29 December 2013

On our family trip through NW Costa Rica this past week, this place was the most economical. We booked our stay directly with Gabriela Schaerer (the friendly & beautiful site manager) who explained the room options. We chose a place where our whole family could share a large, 2-level room. In our room we had 4 beds (two of them 2-person size), so the five of us slept very comfortably.

The location is an easy walk from the "main drag" and the beach. On the way to the beach, you MUST have a shrimp burrito at Addy's...best ever. It's nice being a little off the hectic main drag, but unfortunately a bar several doors away plays loud music into the night, so this might not be the best spot for those who have an early schedule and can't fall asleep easily. Some locals don't know where Hotel Nahua is, but they know where the new, large Banco Nacional building is. Hotel Nahua is on the other side of the street from the bank, just a few doors toward the west (beach). There is a supermarket ("2001") right around the corner and the best local scuba dive guide (Agua Rica) right next to that.

The pool was cool, which was a nice reprieve from everything else which was hot during our stay. The AC worked well. I wanted to stay for a couple months and help with minor repairs (fix towel bars, etc.) which didn't detract from our stay.

There's a great little bakery/deli right next door with great coffee and take-with snacks/cookies.

Gabriela & her staff can also help with activities. She helped us get an evening turtle excursion on Christmas Day, which was awesome...we saw a large nest of baby turtles take to the ocean only minutes after we got to the beach north of Tamarindo.

Awesome stop on an amazing vacation.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 23 November 2013

It seems unfair to give only one star. I made a reservation via telephone the night prior to my would-be stay. I confirmed the time, the room, and the rate. When we arrived, we were informed that the occupant of our reserved room decided to stay another day. So, after driving 3 hours from Tenorio National Park, we arrived in Tamarindo with no where to stay. By the way, the kid at the front desk was no help at all, and offered no alternatives at all.

Luckily we stopped by 15 Love and checked right in, the place is way nicer, and comes highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple