“Awesome”

Cabinas Marielos
Chicago, Illinois
“Awesome”
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Marielos was an excellent place to stay. Great price, good vibes, clean, safe, free secure parking and beautiful gardens. Everyone was very friendly staff/owner/guests. The owner is a Costa Rican and made the stay even better by teaching my friend and I about the animals we were seeing, as well as sharing cashew fruits and home grown organic bananas with us. I can't wait to return to Tamarindo and stay at Marielos!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Reviewed 2 May 2013 via mobile

We weren't planning on visiting Tamarindo, we just sort of ended up there. When we got to town there were a variety of places to stay at all different prices. There's big resorts or other "chain" motels, and a few small independent places. There was one lady who offered to take a shot of tequila with us upon check-in. The vibe at her place was too party-hardy; we wanted something near the beach, quiet, peaceful, and with the essentials for way less cash than the rest.
The rooms are sparse, no phone, no tv, just a bed, bathroom, a safe, and A/C (thank God!). We didn't mind at all, we didn't come to Costa Rica to sit inside a room anyway. The A/C worked beautifully.
Also, no maid service. We did ask for new sheets and they gave them to us, and they may have emptied the trash too, but that's it. Bring your own soap. There is a communal style kitchen you can use nearby, and also so many great dining options within walking distance. There are some convenient showers you pass as you walk to your room from the beach so you can rinse off after a day of surfing.
This place is great if all you need is the bare minimum and would rather save your cash for doing fun stuff. The staff are very friendly and kind and willing to accommodate in many ways.
Pura Vida!

• Stayed April 2013
Newaygo, Michigan
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Despite the development in Tamarindo Cabinas Marielos remains a paradise. Marielos maintains the most beautiful gardens and the place remains clean and quiet. I have actually been returning to this place since 1999.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Fremont, Michigan
Reviewed 9 March 2013

This quiet spot is right across from the beach in Tamarindo. It has beautiful gardens in the court yard and a great spot to read or eat lunch in front of each room, some with balconies. The kitchen and the rooms are kept clean and the workers are very pleasant and helpful. We slept hard for 9 - 10 hours and enjoyed waking up to the sound of the howler monkeys in the mango trees next door. This place is run by a local woman who is very concerned about the environment and tries to run her establishment in a way that is as ecologically friendly as possible. There are recycling boxes in the kitchen. The price here is very reasonable for a basic place to stay! Don't expect a fancy hotel - this is a place that provides what you need before spending the day at the beach. It's very relaxing!

Room Tip: Ask for a room a little bit back from the street. Some rooms have fans, others have air conditioner...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 January 2013

The ocean is just across the street. Over all the place is preety confortable and atractive. The whole experience fades out Right from the check in. There are too many rules and policies for a place where you dont need them or want them. Apart from it the owner is a resentful person Who claims to know more than the customer based on her aparent world travel. She missed treated our nationality claiming us to be arrogant and pesimists as a whole. Using this as an excuse and adding the competition that Costa Rica has with the americans and the argentinians, she stated that we should not complain about the accomodation without even letting us take a look at it. So the owner talks to you in a resentful way if you are from another culture every time you pass through, making your experience at tamarindo as it you were not welcome. I dont recomend this place because I want to show her that if you work in tourism and if you are a world traveler (as she claims to be) you should respect other cultures and ideas.
Ps. Here is the review she asked me to write.

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank VicoSoprano
Kelowna bc
Reviewed 26 January 2013

IOther reviews here are along the lines of what I might say, mas of menos, but for me , what was important was the fact that the owner was a real host, and treated me like a guest, not just a source of income. I'll never forget her making me a beautiful breakfast my first morning, just out of kindness, thus I knew what products to buy for myself. One New Years day, she came up to me, and said " I hug, we need hugs", and she enveloped me in loving arms. she used to teach English, and has traveled the world. Jose and Maria Jose who work the front desk embue the same gentleness of the owner. I would need look for no other place to stay in Tamarindo. Dec 28/12--Jan 4/13.
Doug Elmore, Kelowna BC,Canada

Room Tip: Nothing to add.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
SUDAMERICA
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I arrived at night and I found this hotel, when they told me 60 dollars per night I assumed it would have basic comfort and more for such a price since for 45 you get very good accomodation even in Tamarindo (Portofino hotel for example). It was the biggest scam I had in Costa Rica, the room has cold shower and no breakfast, they have the wires and everything to install the system in the shower but it seems it's cheaper to have nothing. The toilet needs renovation as well, it has scratches all over but that's the less trouble you'll get.
The aircondition? Yes, it works and they charge you good money for it but you can't touch it, they put you a 35 dollars fine if you put it colder or warmer. All the time you have the feeling their only concern is to spend as less as possible.
The matress is old and thin, the sheets are not even white and they smell to cigarettes. You pay like a 2 stars and you get a backpaker hostel.
When they gave me the towels they gave me one soap only even when I came with my girlfriend, of course, the first worry is to save money not that we take shower properly.
I told the employee how they could charge 60 dollars for that and she just smiled, next day the owner was in reception and I said nothing but she started to say how people in my country are critizing all the time. She spoke rudely and unrespectfully of my fellow citizens with no reason. Oh yes, when you check out you must wait they give you "permission" to leave, they tell you must stay until they expect the room.
It's a big scam, don't go there.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NEWSTED1981

Travellers are raving about these Tamarindo hotels