“Perfect boutique hotel on the beach”

Hotel Capitan Suizo Beach Front Hotel Boutique
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Tamarindo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel back in May 2012, but originally forgot to write a review. However, I had such a good experience, I really wanted to share with others who are considering staying here. I stayed for four nights in one of the Ocean Breeze Superior rooms, and got a great deal on a package that came with meals and a massage at the spa. The rooms look exactly like they do on the website. They do a great job of keeping the place in good condition. The bed linens were nice and I really liked the layout of the bathroom. The only negative I had on the rooms was there were a few holes that I could see (some of the windows are up in vaulted ceilings) which let the mosquitoes enter the room easily which is a little bit of a pain given you need the windows open to circulate the air since there isn't air conditioning. I got bit several times while I was sleeping, so I ended up having to apply another layer of bug spray/repellent before bed each night. However, in the bigger scheme you have to be prepared for bugs, especially mosquitoes, when visiting Costa Rica. The pool was very nice and right next to the beach. The staff was very friendly and went above and beyond. They were patient with my slowly returning Spanish skills and even helped me practice. Since the beach chairs were mostly lined up closer to the hotel perimeter under some trees and I really wanted to layout down closer to the water, one of the staff moved the chair down where I wanted and set it all up for me. Also, since I was traveling by myself, I ate most of my meals at the hotel restaurant and bar. The waitstaff remembered my name and were happy to chat with me when they weren't busy waiting on other guests. My stay was during the beginning of the rainy season, so the hotel wasn't very crowded which I actually liked. Plus, it hardly rained. The hotel does have a howler monkey rehab facility (or something like that) and you are certain to meet a few in the lobby area or nearby walkways. The ones I encountered where very friendly and the staff was always close by just in case. The hotel grounds are gorgeous with the combination of the ocean on one side and jungle/forest-like greenery on the other. Just make sure to bring earplugs if animal noises in the night bother you.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Mariah S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,256)

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I don't usually write reviews but would be doing a great injustice to the hotel and potential visitors if I didn't. The hotel is located at the end of Playa del Tamarindo providing more privacy on the beach. The rooms very clean and the staff is very attentive. Rosa (the concierge) was a great help and her advice on adventure trips was spot on. What really sets the place apart are the food and drinks. They both were better than any other place we visited, especially the Mojito's, and I sampled my fiances Mojitos at every restaurant. A complimentary breakfast was provided and it was even phenomenal. They also provided free boards to take out on the beach and cared for wounded animals. I cant say enough good things about this place!

Room Tip: All of the rooms face the beach. If you want the best book a bungalow.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Oris U
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I want to begin by saying that this is a genuine review (sometimes I read reviews that are so “over the top” that I doubt their authenticity). The superlatives in this review result from the wonderful experience I just had.

I just returned from a lovely stay at the Hotel Capitan Suizo in Costa Rica and can’t say enough good things about it. I requested and received a quiet upstairs air-conditioned room. It was large, clean, full of light, private, quiet - wonderful! I enjoyed my morning coffee on my private veranda, watching the fauna, enjoying the beautiful view of the lush grounds, and listening to the birds. My bed was very comfortable and the air conditioning worked great. Truly relaxing!

The entire property is lovely – lush grounds, friendly staff, excellent food and beverages. There is a large swimming pool where one can either lie in the sun or laze in the shade of surrounding trees. The hotel is situated right on the beach, so if you prefer, you can swim in the ocean and enjoy a walk on the shore. It was great fun seeing the monkeys and enjoying the birdsong. There is also a small but well stocked gift shop.

The staff was excellent. Friendly, helpful, accommodating. The food in the restaurant was also great, and the wedding supper that our group was served under a canopy on the beach was particularly good. At breakfast (a full buffet with eggs, meat, cheese, freshly baked breads and sweet rolls and excellent coffee), be sure to try the fresh squeezed orange juice and the fresh fruit.

Staff at reception was also helpful and friendly and assisted me in making my flight reservations and arranging tours.

The property is well located, about a 10-minute walk from the small town center and there are lots of tourist shops and wonderful restaurants nearby.

I travel a lot and have stayed in many hotels. I can certainly say that the service and accommodations at this hotel warrant a return trip – I look forward to staying there again.

Room Tip: Ask for air conditioned upper room for nice private accommodation.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank lcgcalifornia
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Very impressed. The Casita's are fantastic. Service was wonderful .I am coming back and would highly recommend to everyone. Located on the beach!! Great location.. All the employees treated us like family

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Capitan Suizio is one the finest places Ive ever stayed. the staff is outstanding, friendly, helpful, and always take the time to help you in any way they can. The beach and location are ideal for families and for surfing. Food and Bar are also excellent. I cant say enough good things about my experience there, and my family has visited 3 years in a row. We will be back for sure. Its great to see the same staff members back, year after year, which speaks to how well run and how caring the entire hotel is with regards to their guests and employees.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Robert L
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Our family loved this hotel! We had two rooms, one right on the beach. The rooms were nice, beds were comfortable and both were in a cozy-romantic settings. The staff was very friendly and always accommodating. The breakfast buffet was delicious and had quite a variety of fruits, bread, juices, etc. We loved the howler monkeys each day and had a blast on the beach. We even tried surfing! We would definitely go back.

Room Tip: The beach side rooms were great with an outdoor shower to rinse off in-between ocean dips and also h...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My girlfriend and I just returned from a 3 day stay at the capitan suizo. Here is a quick rundown..

Rooms- We stayed in the Oceanside bungalow which is literally 50 yards from the beach. The rooms were on par with what u would expect for the price...great beds but shower hot water could have been better.
Bar/pool - 5 steps from pool to bar with monkeys overhead the entire time...could not have been more ideal
Beach - gray sand and long shallow beach perfect for kids. Also great for surfing
Entertainment - evening dinner, BBQ and various activities throughout the week
Internet - wireless is new and speed could be improved
Staff - rosa in activities and all the ladies at the bar/restaurant were so fun and hospitable.
Safety - always felt safe even with doors open at night next to the beach but travel at night in groups

Great place would return...one of the best in tamarindo

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple